2012 Titanium Front Strut Low Speed Noise (Clunk/Rattle) - Page 75 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive

MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive The place to chat about TSB and Known Issues for the 2012 Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 07-11-2012, 08:46 AM   #741
dyn085
That Guy

Fan#: 98047
What I Drive: 2014 FiST/FoST

Points 24,735, Level 95
Points: 24,735, Level: 95 Points: 24,735, Level: 95 Points: 24,735, Level: 95
Level Up 39% Completed
Level up: 39% Level up: 39% Level up: 39%
Forum Activity 8%
Activity: 8% Activity: 8% Activity: 8%
FF Reputation: 49 dyn085 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nutty 5.0 View Post
Same parts as mine done with exception of springs which makes due to you have the Ti with handling package I'm assuming. If that's the case, and the strut bearings are the real problem, these may not be the latest and greatest upgraded parts!
I've gone back to my service dept many time to check numbers of the bearings (looking for a change) in the last couple of months, and the number remains the same.

Considering that the Job 2 cars seem to have less of a problem with the same bearing and that multiple people are beginning to have positive experiences in the TSB, I'm leaning in tje direction that there may have been a bad batch of bearings or that the supplier changed. I may take my car in this week to see if they slop do the work under warranty (Eibachs installed) and if not I will just wait another month to order parts and do it myself.
2014 FiST-
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-11-2012, 09:25 AM   #742
Nutty 5.0
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 81405
What I Drive: 2005 ZX3 SE Sonic Blue 5spd

Points 1,477, Level 21
Points: 1,477, Level: 21 Points: 1,477, Level: 21 Points: 1,477, Level: 21
Level Up 77% Completed
Level up: 77% Level up: 77% Level up: 77%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 1 Nutty 5.0 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
You may be right dyn085 about a bad batch. Fingers crossed for all...
1993 Mustang Featured in MM/FF and 5.0 and Super Ford Magazine SOLD - 2003 Cobra SOLD
Old 07-11-2012, 10:55 AM   #743
FordService
Official Ford Rep

Fan#: 79824
What I Drive: Ford Focus

Points 3,298, Level 35
Points: 3,298, Level: 35 Points: 3,298, Level: 35 Points: 3,298, Level: 35
Level Up 66% Completed
Level up: 66% Level up: 66% Level up: 66%
Forum Activity 21%
Activity: 21% Activity: 21% Activity: 21%
FF Reputation: 18 FordService Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by fcbaldwin View Post
I picked up my car yesterday. It turns out that the previous repairs that I got earlier in June were the same as the new TSB. They were done before it BECAME the TSB. So, nothing was done this time except that the tech and the service manager both did hear the noises and said that there's nothing that they can do about it unless Ford comes out with yet another solution...
I see your dealer is going to look into this further. In addition, your CSM will be with your every step of the way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lipshurt View Post
Ouch! So I have been waiting for my call from the "customer service" rep for months now, and have sent my info twice to the ford reps that read these forums. I'm pretty sure no rep from ford is going to call me, since it has been at least four months now...looks like that whole customer service thing is just a load of BS.
Quote:
...Now, my sound is getting worse, and is now accompanied by a sound of binding in the steering. If you turn the steering wheel all the way quickly you hear something catching or binding. Could the be strut bearings because the strut turns in the bearing. And when that binding sound is loudest, the rattles and clunk are loudest too. That does sort of point to the strut bearing, but the actual sound seems like too "loose" of a sound. If there is a dust cover over the strut that is loose, that seems a perfect explanation for my sound.
Quote:
Wow so "Thomas" hooked you up with the regional rep? So maybe he does actually exist.....I'm still waiting four months later.
After looking into your case, I see the CSM could not reach you by dialing the number you've provided. Please send me a quick PM with your best contact # and I'll be happy to forward your info again. I'll also include these new issues in your case.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stang74shelby View Post
Talked to my Ford rep today and they said no more repair would be done at this time, Im soooooo F'N Pissed, I was like WTF?...
I understand your frustration. Have you talked to your CSM about obtaining a second opinion from another dealer?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rdawson199 View Post
So, I had been dealing with a rather loud "clunk" from my front end for some time now. From what I gather here, it is the same noise many of you have been dealing with too. I took the car to the dealer that I bought the car from...To my dismay, they did not perform the TSB as I requested(a little bit upset about that), but did find something interesting.

The tech called me up, said that he drove the car, anknowledged the noise and agreed that there was something not right(YAY!) So, he put the car on the rack and started his investigation. It was his conclusion that the dust boots on the front struts were loose, and something in the same area needed greasing. He re-installed the dust covers and greased whatever needed greasing, and the noise is 100% gone...
I'm glad this issue has been resolved for you. Please keep me posted on how your Focus performs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by meattooth View Post
Just returned from a 900 mile trip in my wifes sel and had to listen to her sing...... Whatcha going to do with all that clunk all that clunk in your trunk. Ours is now in the steering as well. My se hatch is in the shop getting first gear replaced and they are supposed to look at the clunk but they forgot last time it was in for two weeks getting the bumper repainted..... Sigh
We need to hear a better remix! Is your car still at the dealer being fixed? Please PM me some details (VIN, mileage, phone #, and servicing dealer); I'll review it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian_429 View Post
I just took mine in today for the lovely clunking sound. Only a hour later I got a call from the Service Manager. I was expecting the "it's a normal sound for your car" speech". He actually said there is a service bulletin out on this issue and that there are updated parts from Ford for this fix. He said might take up to a week to get the parts.....let's just hope they are indeed the fix.
The new bulletin will help to fix the noise. Did you leave your car there? If you'd like, please PM me your VIN, mileage, phone #, and dealer info; I'll send details to your Customer Service Manager.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shorty Long View Post
Could this issue also cause a rumbling feeling to occur while driving at high speeds (70mph)?
Your dealer's techs are best to inspect this. If you haven't visited your dealer, I recommend making an appointment ASAP. In addition, please PM me your VIN, mileage, phone #, and dealer info; I'll loop in your area's Customer Service Manager.

I'll be back soon,

Thomas

p: 800.392.FORD
t: @FordService @FordFocus @Ford
f: facebook.com/FordServiceUS facebook.com/FordFocus

M - F 11 a.m. - 8 p.m. ET | Send a PM? Pls allow 2 business days for reply
Old 07-11-2012, 12:01 PM   #744
FordService
Official Ford Rep

Points 3,298, Level 35
Level Up 66% Completed
Forum Activity 21%
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dysan911 View Post
...I don't blame you one bit for feeling that way and would be fed up myself if I had the same issues. You are 100% right that its just unreasonable to suggest you spend your time like that running all over the place trying to find someone willing to fix your car when in fact FORD should be the one trying to help get this resolved despite the dealership you go too.

...I appreciate the Ford CS reps that come on these forums and try to help out and it does create a great perception that Ford is trying to make Customer satisfaction a priority but I honestly think it's inexcusable what you've gone through my friend...
Totally agree with you here; we'll do what we can to help. By the way, thanks for the props.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HornedFrog05 View Post
Thanks man, I really appreciate it...

I still have faith that I can enjoy this car, but as it stands right now it has been a total nightmare...
I hope to make the Focus a dream for you. I've read your previous post; did you take it in since I've escalated this to your CSM? She's trying to obtain your status from the dealer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow06saleen View Post
To my amazement I got a call from the dealer this morning stating they were able to find the parts needed for the TSB. Just picked up the car. Doesnt seem to be any noise but will keep you posted...

...I am trying to love this car and do love it when everything works fine.
Kudos to the dealer on searching for the parts! Keep your ears open and please update me by PM. All of us love a vehicle with no issues; love your dedication.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bames_Jond View Post
...I just got my clunky '10 SES back from the dealer today after a week in the shop (still under the bumper-to-bumper... for another 5600 miles) and, after the installation of new struts and various strut related parts, it's... still clunking. Ugh.

The ironic thing is that even the service dept. admits it's still clunking...

...This SES was my first Ford product and may very well be my last. Time will tell. But one thing's for certain: When someone serves me a crap sandwich and tries to tell me it's delicious, I never come back for seconds...
Never like to lose a Ford customer! Thanks for providing me with all of your information by PM; I'll send this to your CSM as soon as possible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dyn085 View Post
I've gone back to my service dept many time to check numbers of the bearings (looking for a change) in the last couple of months, and the number remains the same.

...I may take my car in this week to see if they slop do the work under warranty (Eibachs installed) and if not I will just wait another month to order parts and do it myself.
Great idea; ask the dealer about your warranty coverage. I'd always recommend for them to inspect your ride and perform the repairs.

If anyone is still experiencing a front-end noise after the TSB has been completed, please shoot me a PM and include some info (VIN, mileage, phone #, and dealer).

With regards,

Thomas

Old 07-11-2012, 05:30 PM   #745
jpolk84
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 97415
What I Drive: 2012 Focus SE w/ Sport Package 5-sp

FF Reputation: 1 jpolk84 Good Standing Member
Ford Dealer: "Yeah, we haven't been able to hear the strut problem."
Me: "Well, if drive it around a bit you should hear it. I do all the time. A Ford rep online said he thought there was a TSB on the issue."
Ford Dealer: "Oh yeah, I have the TSB information and it tells us what to do. But we have to hear it first."

And they wonder why they rank somewhere between child killers and lawyers.
Old 07-11-2012, 05:34 PM   #746
PratoN
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 88058
What I Drive: 2012 Kona Blue Ti Hatchback, DCT

Points 2,948, Level 33
Points: 2,948, Level: 33 Points: 2,948, Level: 33 Points: 2,948, Level: 33
Level Up 32% Completed
Level up: 32% Level up: 32% Level up: 32%
Forum Activity 5%
Activity: 5% Activity: 5% Activity: 5%
FF Reputation: 13 PratoN Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpolk84 View Post
ford dealer: "oh yeah, i have the tsb information and it tells us what to do. But we have to hear it first."
... >_>
Old 07-11-2012, 05:36 PM   #747
dyn085
That Guy

Fan#: 98047
What I Drive: 2014 FiST/FoST

Points 24,735, Level 95
Points: 24,735, Level: 95 Points: 24,735, Level: 95 Points: 24,735, Level: 95
Level Up 39% Completed
Level up: 39% Level up: 39% Level up: 39%
Forum Activity 8%
Activity: 8% Activity: 8% Activity: 8%
FF Reputation: 49 dyn085 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
Quote:
Me: "Well, if drive it around a bit you should hear it. I do all the time. A Ford rep online said he thought there was a TSB on the issue."
Ford Dealer: "Oh yeah, I have the TSB information and it tells us what to do. But we have to hear it first."

And they wonder why they rank somewhere between child killers and lawyers.
If that is there response, then make sure that you tell them that they should be well aware that they have to hook up the Rotunda Cassis Ears or equivalent to each front spring near the top of the spring (that would be step 1 of the service procedure, as outlined per TSB 12-6-17 dated 6/27/12).

Hopefully, that gets their @ss in gear. What a crock. These types of dealers are making Ford look bad.
2014 FiST-
Old 07-11-2012, 05:57 PM   #748
PratoN
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 88058
What I Drive: 2012 Kona Blue Ti Hatchback, DCT

Points 2,948, Level 33
Points: 2,948, Level: 33 Points: 2,948, Level: 33 Points: 2,948, Level: 33
Level Up 32% Completed
Level up: 32% Level up: 32% Level up: 32%
Forum Activity 5%
Activity: 5% Activity: 5% Activity: 5%
FF Reputation: 13 PratoN Great Standing Member
Quote:
[...]they should be well aware that they have to hook up the Rotunda Cassis Ears or equivalent to each front spring near the top of the spring (that would be step 1 of the service procedure, as outlined per TSB 12-6-17 dated 6/27/12).
pwnt.
Old 07-11-2012, 10:40 PM   #749
jpolk84
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 97415
What I Drive: 2012 Focus SE w/ Sport Package 5-sp

FF Reputation: 1 jpolk84 Good Standing Member
Quote:
If that is there response, then make sure that you tell them that they should be well aware that they have to hook up the Rotunda Cassis Ears or equivalent to each front spring near the top of the spring (that would be step 1 of the service procedure, as outlined per TSB 12-6-17 dated 6/27/12).

Hopefully, that gets their @ss in gear. What a crock. These types of dealers are making Ford look bad.
The problem with the auto industry is that they use dealers to sell their cars. These are just not the kind of people that want to the customer to have a positive experience. They want to make a profit and cars are a medium for that. There's nothing wrong with profit but the more you focus on the customer the better your business will be. If you're truly passionate about your product then you will want the best experience for your customer. I'm not likely to buy from this dealer again because they aim low. I went fully expecting this kind of behavior and sadly it's what I received. I've been nervous about going because I knew I'd be taking my car home, unfixed, and bringing back several times in hopes they "find it." They're supposed to call tomorrow after "trying again." Frankly, I don't understand how anyone can ride with me and hear it but they can't? Right...
Old 07-12-2012, 12:55 PM   #750
FordService
Official Ford Rep

Points 3,298, Level 35
Level Up 66% Completed
Forum Activity 21%
Quote:

...Ford Dealer: "Oh yeah, I have the TSB information and it tells us what to do. But we have to hear it first..."
Quote:
...There's nothing wrong with profit but the more you focus on the customer the better your business will be. If you're truly passionate about your product then you will want the best experience for your customer...
I don't think I've sent the details to your CSM. I'll loop them in if you'd like; please shoot me your VIN, mileage, phone #, and dealer info. Totally agree with you here; customer satisfaction is tops in our book.

- Thomas

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.