2012 Titanium Front Strut Low Speed Noise (Clunk/Rattle) - Page 72 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace



Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive

MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive The place to chat about TSB and Known Issues for the 2012 Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-07-2012, 09:57 AM   #711
Rdawson199
Focus Rookie
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Fan#: 96559
Location: Belton, MO
What I Drive: 2012 black se 5 door

Posts: 3
FF Reputation: 1 Rdawson199 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
So, I had been dealing with a rather loud "clunk" from my front end for some time now. From what I gather here, it is the same noise many of you have been dealing with too. I took the car to the dealer that I bought the car from, and recieved an incorrect response. They told me that there was some things in my door panel pockets rattling around, but there was no noise coming from the front end.....I am NOT stupid, and I hate being treated as such....

I gave it some time, and took the car to a different dealer yesterday(after a couple conversations on the phone about the car and particular TSB that I had just become aware of.) To my dismay, they did not perform the TSB as I requested(a little bit upset about that), but did find something interesting.

To my knowledge, nobody on this forum has reported this particular repair being completed. The tech called me up, said that he drove the car, anknowledged the noise and agreed that there was something not right(YAY!) So, he put the car on the rack and started his investigation. It was his conclusion that the dust boots on the front struts were loose, and something in the same area needed greasing. He re-installed the dust covers and greased whatever needed greasing, and the noise is 100% gone. Now, I am only on day 1 beyond the repair, and I still have no idea whatsoever how the dust covers were creating this noise, but for now, I have a quiet ride again. I will post further updates in the upcoming days/weeks.

Good luck to the rest of you.
__________________
Rich Dawson
2012 Focus SE 5 door Black
Rdawson199 is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 07-07-2012, 11:15 AM   #712
dyn085
That Guy
 
dyn085's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Fan#: 98047
Location: Fayetteville, NC
What I Drive: 2014 FiST/FoST

Posts: 11,894
FF Reputation: 46 dyn085 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rdawson199 View Post
So, I had been dealing with a rather loud "clunk" from my front end for some time now. From what I gather here, it is the same noise many of you have been dealing with too. I took the car to the dealer that I bought the car from, and recieved an incorrect response. They told me that there was some things in my door panel pockets rattling around, but there was no noise coming from the front end.....I am NOT stupid, and I hate being treated as such....

I gave it some time, and took the car to a different dealer yesterday(after a couple conversations on the phone about the car and particular TSB that I had just become aware of.) To my dismay, they did not perform the TSB as I requested(a little bit upset about that), but did find something interesting.

To my knowledge, nobody on this forum has reported this particular repair being completed. The tech called me up, said that he drove the car, anknowledged the noise and agreed that there was something not right(YAY!) So, he put the car on the rack and started his investigation. It was his conclusion that the dust boots on the front struts were loose, and something in the same area needed greasing. He re-installed the dust covers and greased whatever needed greasing, and the noise is 100% gone. Now, I am only on day 1 beyond the repair, and I still have no idea whatsoever how the dust covers were creating this noise, but for now, I have a quiet ride again. I will post further updates in the upcoming days/weeks.

Good luck to the rest of you.
The item that needed re-greasing was probably the bearings. Some people have posted this repair much earlier in the thread, but they are so far buried that it would probably take a while for you to find them. I think some reported that it fixed the noise while some reported its return after a while. Kinda up in the air.

Thanks for posting, and hopefully your noise doesn't return. If it does, I hope you can re-post for us for more data collection and dissemination of information.
__________________

FocusFest 2013: Best of Show
Gateway FFW: Show Class Outstanding
September '13 ROTM
2014 FiST-
dyn085 is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 12:51 PM   #713
Lipshurt
Focus Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Fan#: 92314
Location: Vista, CA
What I Drive: 2012 blue focus SE

Posts: 180
FF Reputation: 2 Lipshurt Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
The dust boots make more sense to me.
I have said a few times now that I don't think it's the struts or springs because of the nature of the sound (my sound anyway).

Now, my sound is getting worse, and is now accompanied by a sound of binding in the steering. If you turn the steering wheel all the way quickly you hear something catching or binding. Could the be strut bearings because the strut turns in the bearing. And when that binding sound is loudest, the rattles and clunk are loudest too. That does sort of point to the strut bearing, but the actual sound seems like too "loose" of a sound. If there is a dust cover over the strut that is loose, that seems a perfect explanation for my sound.

Please post again in a few days, and if possible could you look at your paperwork and see what the exact term might be the dust cover?

Like I said mine is getting worse every week. It still gets better temporarily sometimes, but now it never totally goes away. Sometimes it's embarrassingly bad!
Lipshurt is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 05:07 PM   #714
meattooth
Focus Fanatic
 
meattooth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Fan#: 97031
Location: Catoosa, OK
What I Drive: 2012, candy blue, se hatchback

Posts: 1,752
FF Reputation: 5 meattooth Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Just returned from a 900 mile trip in my wifes sel and had to listen to her sing...... Whatcha going to do with all that clunk all that clunk in your trunk. Ours is now in the steering as well. My se hatch is in the shop getting first gear replaced and they are supposed to look at the clunk but they forgot last time it was in for two weeks getting the bumper repainted..... Sigh
meattooth is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 05:10 PM   #715
Sonic_HedgeHog
Sonic Mk3 Crew #00
 
Sonic_HedgeHog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Fan#: 50003
Location: Albuquerque, NM
What I Drive: '12 Sterling Focus SE 5dr Sport Pkg

Posts: 13,485
FF Reputation: 19 Sonic_HedgeHog Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by meattooth View Post
Just returned from a 900 mile trip in my wifes sel and had to listen to her sing...... Whatcha going to do with all that clunk all that clunk in your trunk. Ours is now in the steering as well. My se hatch is in the shop getting first gear replaced and they are supposed to look at the clunk but they forgot last time it was in for two weeks getting the bumper repainted..... Sigh
Video/Audio or it never happened
__________________
Hatch Nation #156. Sonic's Mk3 Crew Founder and #00
Moderator: DURATEC Ti-VCT Performance, ST Performance, MK3 Focus, SW Fanatics, Sonic's MK3 Crew
Sonic_HedgeHog is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 05:23 PM   #716
Rememo
Focus Enthusiast
 
Rememo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Fan#: 95534
Location: Milwaukee, WI
What I Drive: Was 2012 Focus. Now 2013 Impreza.

Posts: 214
FF Reputation: 3 Rememo Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by meattooth View Post
Just returned from a 900 mile trip in my wifes sel and had to listen to her sing...... Whatcha going to do with all that clunk all that clunk in your trunk. Ours is now in the steering as well. My se hatch is in the shop getting first gear replaced and they are supposed to look at the clunk but they forgot last time it was in for two weeks getting the bumper repainted..... Sigh

If you're having the first gear parts replaced to eliminate the grinding/growling/crunching noise, please post a photo of the work order if it solves your problem. Not that the noise won't return, but it would be nice to see some attempt being made to alleviate the "problem". Thanks!

Last edited by Rememo; 07-08-2012 at 12:41 PM.
Rememo is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 05:36 PM   #717
meattooth
Focus Fanatic
 
meattooth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Fan#: 97031
Location: Catoosa, OK
What I Drive: 2012, candy blue, se hatchback

Posts: 1,752
FF Reputation: 5 meattooth Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rememo View Post
If you're having the first gear parts replaced to eliminate the grinding/growling/crunching noise, please post a photo of the work order if it solves you're problem. Not that the noise won't return, but it would be nice to see some attempt being made to alleviate the "problem". Thanks!
My first gear is a manual transmission.
meattooth is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 05:41 PM   #718
meattooth
Focus Fanatic
 
meattooth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Fan#: 97031
Location: Catoosa, OK
What I Drive: 2012, candy blue, se hatchback

Posts: 1,752
FF Reputation: 5 meattooth Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic_HedgeHog View Post
Video/Audio or it never happened
LOL I'm sure I could probably capture something she gripes about it every time we're in the car. She makes sure to let me know her mitsubishi never made any of these noises and never spent more than 2 days in the shop in six years of ownership.
meattooth is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 09:36 PM   #719
Yellow06saleen
Focus Rookie
 
Yellow06saleen's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Fan#: 99526
Location: Murrieta, CA
What I Drive: 2012, Tuxedo Black, Titanium

Posts: 23
FF Reputation: 1 Yellow06saleen Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Took my car in today. At least the service guy acknowleged the noise as we went for a drive around the dealership and it was very clear. He was not aware of any new TSB's but said he would check. I told him there was one. The Regional Service Mgr is involved. I contacted Thomas from this forum and he got right on it and the RSM called me and told me he spoke to the Service Mgr at the dealership. I will keep you posted.
If there is an engineering issue dont know what the dealer can do. As has been stated here, just replacing with the same parts isnt going to resolve anything...but just hoping. I dont mind the noise so much but if Ford cant or wont get to the root cause they should extend the warranty for anything related to this.

They have a Shelby and a Boss 302 on the lot. How many miles to the gallon do they get? LOL.
__________________
2012 Focus Titanium, 2011 Fusion Sport, 2006 Saleen S281
Yellow06saleen is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 10:05 PM   #720
Lipshurt
Focus Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Fan#: 92314
Location: Vista, CA
What I Drive: 2012 blue focus SE

Posts: 180
FF Reputation: 2 Lipshurt Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Wow so "Thomas" hooked you up with the regional rep?
So maybe he does actually exist..... I'm still waiting four months later.
Lipshurt is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:37 AM.


Copyright 2002-2014 FocusFanatics.com. All Rights Reserved : Terms of Use : Privacy Policy : Advertise Information : Site Map

Focus Fanatics Ford Focus Forum offers many fun ways for you to engage with other Ford Focus Owners from across the world. Whether it be about the aftermarket performance modifications, technical how-to's, European tuned suspension or awesome fuel economy similar to the Acura TLX or Fiesta ST. You can find all Ford Focus and Focus ST related information here. Join our Ford Focus discussion forums and chat with local Focus enthusiasts in your area.