2012 Titanium Front Strut Low Speed Noise (Clunk/Rattle) - Page 66 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive

MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive The place to chat about TSB and Known Issues for the 2012 Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 06-29-2012, 10:45 PM   #651
kevinxb
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 96008
What I Drive: 2012 Blue Candy Ti Hatch

FF Reputation: 1 kevinxb Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow06saleen View Post
Dumb question but can someone explain why you hear it at slow speeds only? On the highway I dont hear anything over rough/uneven pavement. Is the highway noise masking the sound?
I believe this is the case.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-30-2012, 10:21 AM   #652
smizak
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 92058
What I Drive: 2012 Black SEL

FF Reputation: 2 smizak Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Tsb out....

FYI, took my SEL in for the recall and drove the lead tech around in my car so he could hear the strut noise....turns out there is a TSB out for the springs(or struts) and strut mounts. I think he meant struts but said springs. My service adviser appeared to have zero technical knowledge about cars() so when the parts come in, I'll post details. He also said something about the spring or strut being green in color means it needs to be replaced......
Old 06-30-2012, 10:34 AM   #653
dyn085
That Guy

Fan#: 98047
What I Drive: 2014 FiST/FoST

FF Reputation: 46 dyn085 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
Quote:
Originally Posted by smizak View Post
FYI, took my SEL in for the recall and drove the lead tech around in my car so he could hear the strut noise....turns out there is a TSB out for the springs(or struts) and strut mounts. I think he meant struts but said springs. My service adviser appeared to have zero technical knowledge about cars() so when the parts come in, I'll post details. He also said something about the spring or strut being green in color means it needs to be replaced......
I can verify this, I just stopped into my dealership this morning. I didn't look at the full screen, but it is definitely the springs and the strut bearings. I think the rest was bolts and the top cap nut.

It's listed under the steering/stopping section on their computer, I believe the TSB is 5-17-12. I was kind of in a rush, but the springs and strut bearings were definite because I was trying to verify whether or not these are upgraded/different bearings than what came from the factory.

I don't want to buy bearings just to have them fail the way the stock ones have...

FocusFest 2013: Best of Show
Gateway FFW: Show Class Outstanding
September '13 ROTM
2014 FiST-
Old 06-30-2012, 10:41 AM   #654
dyn085
That Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow06saleen View Post
Dumb question but can someone explain why you hear it at slow speeds only? On the highway I dont hear anything over rough/uneven pavement. Is the highway noise masking the sound?
I don't necessarily believe that it is just the highway noise, I believe it has something to do with the direction that the loads are transferred to the bearing. I rarely hear mine unless the wheel is turned, and in order to hear it with the wheels straight I pretty much have to be doing 35mph and hit a sizable pothole or manhole cover.

At speed there could be enough of a load consistently applied to the bearing to make it function correctly, or vice-verso, too little of a load to make it function incorrectly. I wouldn't mind some engineering classes to fully understand the why and how...

September '13 ROTM
2014 FiST-
Old 06-30-2012, 10:43 AM   #655
TiStick
Boob Whisperer

Fan#: 96514
What I Drive: LesVagon

FF Reputation: 16 TiStick Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by dyn085 View Post
I can verify this, I just stopped into my dealership this morning. I didn't look at the full screen, but it is definitely the springs and the strut bearings. I think the rest was bolts and the top cap nut.

It's listed under the steering/stopping section on their computer, I believe the TSB is 5-17-12. I was kind of in a rush, but the springs and strut bearings were definite because I was trying to verify whether or not these are upgraded/different bearings than what came from the factory.

I don't want to buy bearings just to have them fail the way the stock ones have...
Do you have to get the clunk to get the fix? I might schedule to get mine pre-emptively fixed if that's an option.
Sonic's Mk3 Crew #11
Hatch Nation#163
Quote:
Originally Posted by suss6052 View Post
Watch out for the D
Old 06-30-2012, 10:45 AM   #656
dyn085
That Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitaniumStick View Post
Do you have to get the clunk to get the fix? I might schedule to get mine pre-emptively fixed if that's an option.
Yes, they need to do a test ride with the chassis ears to confirm it. If you aren't sure if you have it, just turn your wheels half-way in a direction and drive over a speed bump. If you have it, you will know pretty much immediately.

September '13 ROTM
2014 FiST-
Old 06-30-2012, 11:00 AM   #657
TiStick
Boob Whisperer

Fan#: 96514
What I Drive: LesVagon

FF Reputation: 16 TiStick Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by dyn085 View Post
Yes, they need to do a test ride with the chassis ears to confirm it. If you aren't sure if you have it, just turn your wheels half-way in a direction and drive over a speed bump. If you have it, you will know pretty much immediately.
Ok. I'll give it some ear later.
Sonic's Mk3 Crew #11
Hatch Nation#163
Quote:
Originally Posted by suss6052 View Post
Watch out for the D
Old 06-30-2012, 05:30 PM   #658
fcbaldwin
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 97264
What I Drive: 2012 Ingot Silver Titanium HB

FF Reputation: 1 fcbaldwin Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
I hope that the TSB that deals with the strut bearings and springs is NOT THE ONE that they used for my attempted repair on 6/14/12 (or thereabouts). It does not work. My dealership service manager knows this now (today is 6/30/12) and has emailed Ford engineering about this.
Old 06-30-2012, 05:58 PM   #659
dyn085
That Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by fcbaldwin View Post
I hope that the TSB that deals with the strut bearings and springs is NOT THE ONE that they used for my attempted repair on 6/14/12 (or thereabouts). It does not work. My dealership service manager knows this now (today is 6/30/12) and has emailed Ford engineering about this.
I would assume that they didn't consult this TSB for your car if that did not fix it. The computer said to use the chassis ears. Theoretically, they would have followed thay direction from the TSB.

You should have a copy of the work completed and parts replaced. What does it say?

Edit: There is also the possibility that your car has a different issue. But just because you had work done does not necessarily mean that the TSB doesn't work at all. Ford engineers would not issue a TSB that has a very specific parts replacement list if it was just on a whim. They have either located a weakness/flaw or have documentation that supports that these parts have fixed the majority of issues.

I honestly hope you get your car fixed in the same way that I hope I get my car fixed.

September '13 ROTM
2014 FiST-
Old 06-30-2012, 06:45 PM   #660
Rememo
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 95534
What I Drive: Was 2012 Focus. Now 2013 Impreza.

FF Reputation: 3 Rememo Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by smizak View Post
He also said something about the spring or strut being green in color means it needs to be replaced......
There's a sticker attached to the top of the spring. It'll be green, or, if I remember correctly, red. I read somewhere that, at one point, they were basing replacement of the strut and/or spring on the color of the tag. Probably not the case anymore though...

Bookmarks & Social Networks