2012 Titanium Front Strut Low Speed Noise (Clunk/Rattle) - Page 44 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive

MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive The place to chat about TSB and Known Issues for the 2012 Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 06-08-2012, 02:45 PM   #431
fcbaldwin
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 97264
What I Drive: 2012 Ingot Silver Titanium HB

FF Reputation: 1 fcbaldwin Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Ok, I have an appointment to take mine in on this coming Monday, 6/11/12. This is the dealership where I bought the car in March (Feb, 2012 build).
In just the last several days the noises from the front end have gotten dramatically louder and more frequent. I don't even need a passenger with me to hear the clunking and rattling over any but the smoothest roadways. It makes me wonder if my steering is going to go out at any moment.
I tried doing the pm thing to Noemi, but my pm feature doesn't seem to work.
I'll update next week.
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-09-2012, 12:43 PM   #432
MacchinaRossa
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 88221
What I Drive: Race Red 2012 Ford Focus SEL

FF Reputation: 1 MacchinaRossa Good Standing Member
Ok, got a phone call yesterday afternoon from my dealership in regards to my clunking noise - thought I'd let you all know. They said I have a broken spring. Totally not what I was expecting - I saw the work order for Dysan911 and it looks like they fixed everything *but* the spring for his car. Has anybody ever heard of a broken spring in a Focus '12? It must be a design flaw, because I heard the noise a few weeks after getting the car. They're keeping my car until Tuesday, they gave me a rental until then. They definitely treated me a lot better than the first dealership I brought it to so I'm pleased for now. I just hope it solves the problem! Fingers crossed, yet again.
Old 06-09-2012, 01:47 PM   #433
clickman
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 93645
What I Drive: 2012 Sterling Grey Titanium HB

Points 173, Level 3
Points: 173, Level: 3 Points: 173, Level: 3 Points: 173, Level: 3
Level Up 46% Completed
Level up: 46% Level up: 46% Level up: 46%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 1 clickman Good Standing Member
We took ours in for the noise (and other things) a few weeks ago. The Service Technical Manager acknowledged the noise before we even got out of the parking lot (yay). We noticed it over small bumps at low speed, but he pointed out that it also happens when turning the wheel from one side to the other. He then admitted that he was aware of the problem because another Focus (Titanium 18" wheels) was in for the same problem. OK, major hurdle passed as they've admitted there's a problem.

He said OASIS had a suggested fix, replacing the strut bearing and spring, but he wanted to try it on the other car before wasting our time fixing ours if it didn't work. Good so far.

We got a call from the service dept last week saying the fix had worked on the other car. I suspect from what I've read here that they may not have given that car enough time to see if the fix has permanently eliminated the problem.

Now, as we're out of town, they want us to check the springs for the coloured tag, after which they'll order the parts. And they've admitted that could take a while as they've been back ordered (Gee I wonder why).

Once they have the parts we can get them work on this as well as all the other BS problems that have come with this new car: freezing clock in the MFT, proximity sensors beeping for no reason, parking assist fault while highway driving, wiper connector recall, reprogramming recalls for a number of control modules... Sheesh.

(Build date Sept 2011)
Old 06-09-2012, 05:20 PM   #434
Kaaru
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 96763
What I Drive: '12 Oxford Wh. SEL Sedan 28/07/2011

FF Reputation: 1 Kaaru Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacchinaRossa View Post
Ok, got a phone call yesterday afternoon from my dealership in regards to my clunking noise - thought I'd let you all know. They said I have a broken spring. Totally not what I was expecting - I saw the work order for Dysan911 and it looks like they fixed everything *but* the spring for his car. Has anybody ever heard of a broken spring in a Focus '12? It must be a design flaw, because I heard the noise a few weeks after getting the car. They're keeping my car until Tuesday, they gave me a rental until then. They definitely treated me a lot better than the first dealership I brought it to so I'm pleased for now. I just hope it solves the problem! Fingers crossed, yet again.
My 2012 SEL Sedan is currently at the dealer for a number of issues, including the clunking noise comming from the right front wheel. The dealer called me friday morning to say to me that my car needed a new front right coil spring. They have ordered it and will install it next week. So there you go, I'll let you guys know if the coil spring replacement did fix the noise.

Last edited by Kaaru; 06-09-2012 at 05:21 PM. Reason: Typos
Old 06-09-2012, 11:22 PM   #435
jpurvistx
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 94317
What I Drive: 2012 Focus Titanium Hatch Black

FF Reputation: 1 jpurvistx Good Standing Member
I took mine in this morning and my service guy definitely acknowleged the clunking noise....so it's going in on Monday. He'll provide me a rental car. I showed him the print out of the work order that was posted by another person on here, but the service guy really wasn't interested in it. He said it should be an easy fix....we'll see! I'm leaving the work order print out on the seat just in case the tech wants to read it!
Old 06-10-2012, 03:38 AM   #436
12FOCUS S
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 98622
What I Drive: '13 FOCUS ST/'12 Mustang GT BBP

FF Reputation: 1 12FOCUS S Good Standing Member
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lipshurt View Post
Don't hold your breath waiting for something to happen when your clunk gets "escalated"!

I sent her a PM ages ago and never heard anything, even went to the dealer to ask if anyone contacted them about my noise. Of they had not.

The only way this noise is going to get solved is for people other than dealer techs to figure it out. They just don't have the motivation to trouble shoot it. It will mean hours of microphone placement etc and recording. I plan on getting on it after the 14th of June, and finding the sound by using a wireless clip on mic, and recording the sound. Moving the mic around the area until it gets narrowed down. That is a minimum of 5 hours or so unless I get lucky. No dealer will do that. They just start replacing things at fords expense. What a horrible model of troubleshooting. I guess because ford warranty is footing the bill, hey can just take a wild guess and do 800 bucks worth of stabbing in the dark to see what happens.

I ask all of us here, has anyone, even one person, ever had this noise fixed? I'm pretty sure no success has ever been reported that was not temporary.

When I find it, I want to charge ford for the diagnosis:) wish me luck on that one:)

you are exactly right...the noise is there on mine as well....
Old 06-10-2012, 01:46 PM   #437
MacchinaRossa
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 88221
What I Drive: Race Red 2012 Ford Focus SEL

FF Reputation: 1 MacchinaRossa Good Standing Member
Interesting, Kaaru! Well let us know what happens, glad to know someone was quoted with the exact same issue as mine. Mine will be replaced next week as well.

I didn't mention this earlier, but I noticed I also have a bit of a rattling sound coming from the passenger door area when I'm on the freeway, or even just going 45-50 mph. The tech said that fixing the spring should resolve that noise as well, so we'll see... I kinda doubt that but who knows.
Old 06-10-2012, 01:57 PM   #438
06Shadowgrey
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 97186
What I Drive: 2006 DSG ZX3

FF Reputation: 1 06Shadowgrey Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
You know my wife's has always made a cluncking noise in the front. Well definetly noticed it more lately
Old 06-11-2012, 12:14 AM   #439
slowmazda3
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 58220
What I Drive: a rental

Points 683, Level 13
Points: 683, Level: 13 Points: 683, Level: 13 Points: 683, Level: 13
Level Up 66% Completed
Level up: 66% Level up: 66% Level up: 66%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 0 slowmazda3 Newbie
Quote:
Originally Posted by clickman View Post
We took ours in for the noise (and other things) a few weeks ago. The Service Technical Manager acknowledged the noise before we even got out of the parking lot (yay). We noticed it over small bumps at low speed, but he pointed out that it also happens when turning the wheel from one side to the other. He then admitted that he was aware of the problem because another Focus (Titanium 18" wheels) was in for the same problem. OK, major hurdle passed as they've admitted there's a problem.

He said OASIS had a suggested fix, replacing the strut bearing and spring, but he wanted to try it on the other car before wasting our time fixing ours if it didn't work. Good so far.

We got a call from the service dept last week saying the fix had worked on the other car. I suspect from what I've read here that they may not have given that car enough time to see if the fix has permanently eliminated the problem.

Now, as we're out of town, they want us to check the springs for the coloured tag, after which they'll order the parts. And they've admitted that could take a while as they've been back ordered (Gee I wonder why).

Once they have the parts we can get them work on this as well as all the other BS problems that have come with this new car: freezing clock in the MFT, proximity sensors beeping for no reason, parking assist fault while highway driving, wiper connector recall, reprogramming recalls for a number of control modules... Sheesh.

(Build date Sept 2011)
COuld you post the TSB or the OASIS printout? My dealer refuses to believe this isnt normal.
Old 06-11-2012, 08:27 AM   #440
knightp25
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 61273
What I Drive: 2012 Focus Titanium

FF Reputation: 1 knightp25 Good Standing Member
My thought is, these are brand new cars, shouldnt have to take the front end apart, once its apart, it will never ever be factory same again

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.