2012 Titanium Front Strut Low Speed Noise (Clunk/Rattle) - Page 43 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive

MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive The place to chat about TSB and Known Issues for the 2012 Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 06-06-2012, 02:57 PM   #421
Boomertwo
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 96378
What I Drive: 2012 Ford Focus S

FF Reputation: 1 Boomertwo Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Just to let you guys know if I haven't already *I forget at this point and time*

I'm having this clunking noise from the front end of my base model focus at low speeds and only when going over bumps or turning to the left and only when I have a passenger in the front with me.

I'm about ready to do an oil change in 1k miles which may take me a month or so before I hit that. I already took my car in once for the noise but they couldn't reproduce it but I hadn't figured out that it takes 2 people in the car in the first place for it to happen.

I'm not too thrilled with the fact that no one has been to been able to resolve this or if they do it's only for a little while.

I for one know this is happening as I'm not the only one that hears it as my passengers also tell me they hear it. I don't see this as a safety issue at this time so I haven't been too worried about forcing the issue before my next service appointment but it is annoying. It really sounds like something is loose as I jacked the car up and checked the CV boots and shaft just incase it was torn for some reason but I didn't see anything nor did I find any play in the linkage on the passenger side. I checked the reserve tank for the cooling system as well for excessive movement and nada. I haven't tried removing the heating vent that is under the passenger seat as some have suggested but I doubt that it is the cause as that would clunk/rattle all the time if it was.

Has anyone done any testing with aftermarket struts yet to see if that makes the problem go away? If it does then I would call it a design flaw in the stock strut which should be recalled if it causes a safety issue or damage to the vehicle down the road.
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-07-2012, 07:34 AM   #422
Zillon
Focus Addict

Fan#: 17393
What I Drive: '13 JCW GP

Points 2,504, Level 30
Points: 2,504, Level: 30 Points: 2,504, Level: 30 Points: 2,504, Level: 30
Level Up 36% Completed
Level up: 36% Level up: 36% Level up: 36%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 27 Zillon Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomertwo View Post
Just to let you guys know if I haven't already *I forget at this point and time*

I'm having this clunking noise from the front end of my base model focus at low speeds and only when going over bumps or turning to the left and only when I have a passenger in the front with me.

I'm about ready to do an oil change in 1k miles which may take me a month or so before I hit that. I already took my car in once for the noise but they couldn't reproduce it but I hadn't figured out that it takes 2 people in the car in the first place for it to happen.

I'm not too thrilled with the fact that no one has been to been able to resolve this or if they do it's only for a little while.

I for one know this is happening as I'm not the only one that hears it as my passengers also tell me they hear it. I don't see this as a safety issue at this time so I haven't been too worried about forcing the issue before my next service appointment but it is annoying. It really sounds like something is loose as I jacked the car up and checked the CV boots and shaft just incase it was torn for some reason but I didn't see anything nor did I find any play in the linkage on the passenger side. I checked the reserve tank for the cooling system as well for excessive movement and nada. I haven't tried removing the heating vent that is under the passenger seat as some have suggested but I doubt that it is the cause as that would clunk/rattle all the time if it was.

Has anyone done any testing with aftermarket struts yet to see if that makes the problem go away? If it does then I would call it a design flaw in the stock strut which should be recalled if it causes a safety issue or damage to the vehicle down the road.
Nobody makes any aftermarket struts worth buying, yet, unfortunately.
Old 06-07-2012, 09:17 AM   #423
trander81
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 99914
What I Drive: 2012 focus

FF Reputation: 1 trander81 Good Standing Member
Mine was in too for the recalls. I told them about the noise and they DID hear the rattle, but said they drove 2 brand new cars from the lot, and those have the noise too.... they are calling it "normal"???
Old 06-07-2012, 10:09 AM   #424
slowmazda3
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 58220
What I Drive: a rental

Points 683, Level 13
Points: 683, Level: 13 Points: 683, Level: 13 Points: 683, Level: 13
Level Up 66% Completed
Level up: 66% Level up: 66% Level up: 66%
Forum Activity 0%
FF Reputation: 0 slowmazda3 Newbie
Quote:
Originally Posted by trander81 View Post
Mine was in too for the recalls. I told them about the noise and they DID hear the rattle, but said they drove 2 brand new cars from the lot, and those have the noise too.... they are calling it "normal"???
yep... same here. The MS3 parts (koni yellows, FSD, volvo s40 bilstein HD/Sport) and focus springs should be compatible. It is the same platform.
Old 06-07-2012, 10:59 AM   #425
TboneZX3
Ford Fiend

Fan#: 90494
What I Drive: '12 SE Sport, '01 ZX3, '67 Bronco

Points 1,277, Level 19
Points: 1,277, Level: 19 Points: 1,277, Level: 19 Points: 1,277, Level: 19
Level Up 77% Completed
Level up: 77% Level up: 77% Level up: 77%
Forum Activity 0%
FF Reputation: 10 TboneZX3 Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by trander81 View Post
I call BS. I've test driven two 2012's besides the one I own, and none of them had or have front end rattles.
Hatch Nation #90
'12 SE Sport 5Dr |╠╬╝|Sterling Grey Metallic|203a|Moonroof|17" Paint/Mach Whls|K&N 57S-4000|FFE RMM|Steeda STB, RSB|JBR bushings
'01 ZX3|╠╬╝|Pitch Black|Prem. pkg.|Moonroof|SVT Snorkel|SVT Springs|S2 Dampers|Steeda STS|Magnaflow exh.
Old 06-07-2012, 11:37 AM   #426
Zillon
Focus Addict

Points 2,504, Level 30
Level Up 36% Completed
Forum Activity 0%
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowmazda3 View Post
yep... same here. The MS3 parts (koni yellows, FSD, volvo s40 bilstein HD/Sport) and focus springs should be compatible. It is the same platform.
Similar, but not identical.

I'll probably be experimenting with this later this summer - I'm getting impatient with Koni on their reluctance to release anything for the MK3 Focus.
Old 06-07-2012, 12:59 PM   #427
slowmazda3
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 58220
What I Drive: a rental

Points 683, Level 13
Points: 683, Level: 13 Points: 683, Level: 13 Points: 683, Level: 13
Level Up 66% Completed
Level up: 66% Level up: 66% Level up: 66%
Forum Activity 0%
FF Reputation: 0 slowmazda3 Newbie
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zillon View Post
Similar, but not identical.

I'll probably be experimenting with this later this summer - I'm getting impatient with Koni on their reluctance to release anything for the MK3 Focus.
They are both based on the C1 platform. The hard mounting points on the chassis are the same across the global C1 (ie MZ3, volvo c30/s40/v50, Focus Mk2 and Mk3). There may be revisions in the bolt on parts (A arms, knuckles, etc...); however, the unibody structure is near as makes no difference the same.

In fact, I am willing to place an 800 dollar investment in bilsteins, just so my car doesn't wander and float at higher speeds.

I would like to see specific parts come out, but I will more than likely be running an eibach pro kit for the mk3 focus with bilstein sports for an S40 T5. I will gladly eat my shoes if this setup doesnt fit.
Old 06-07-2012, 02:14 PM   #428
Zillon
Focus Addict

Points 2,504, Level 30
Level Up 36% Completed
Forum Activity 0%
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowmazda3 View Post
They are both based on the C1 platform. The hard mounting points on the chassis are the same across the global C1 (ie MZ3, volvo c30/s40/v50, Focus Mk2 and Mk3). There may be revisions in the bolt on parts (A arms, knuckles, etc...); however, the unibody structure is near as makes no difference the same.

In fact, I am willing to place an 800 dollar investment in bilsteins, just so my car doesn't wander and float at higher speeds.

I would like to see specific parts come out, but I will more than likely be running an eibach pro kit for the mk3 focus with bilstein sports for an S40 T5. I will gladly eat my shoes if this setup doesnt fit.
I've measured the width of the front strut bodies, and they do match up, size wise, to the strut bodies of the S40/C30 Konis. One definite difference I've noted, though, is the how the brake lines are attached to the struts. However, that's a fairly insignificant difference in the grand scheme of things.

I've put a bit of groundwork into finding out whether things will work or not, the one thing I've got left to do is to actually buy a set of struts and fit them.
Old 06-07-2012, 02:18 PM   #429
ricomtl
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 97818
What I Drive: 2012 Focus Titanium Hatch Tx. Black

FF Reputation: 1 ricomtl Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by ricomtl View Post
Picked up my car for the TSB 12B37 and to address the clunking.

I was not able to speak to the tech, but the front desk advisor handed me the work order and explained what parts that were ordered. It's in French, so here's an overview (translated)

- Installed "chassis" ears (confirmed noise on bumps and while turning)
- OASIS TSB 11-11-02
- Check and order coil spring green tag
- Top plates & related hardware

Apparently some of the hardware to fix the issue is not available in Canada and needs to be ordered from the US, so I should hear back from them within 2 weeks.

I did some research for that TBS 11-11-02 and this is what I found " CRUNCHING OR CREAKING NOISE FROM FRONT OF VEHICLE ON LOW SPEED TURNS AND BUMPS - BUILT ON OR BEFORE 9/9/2011".

My Ti Hatch was built March 12 2012... so not sure why this would apply to my car. I don't hear crunching/creaking, I hear CLUNKING! ... anyhow, I'll be patient and wait for their call when parts are in. Stay tuned!
from what I've listed above, for those who have gone through multiple repairs/visits at the dealer, do you believe this will address the clunking issue?
Old 06-08-2012, 12:25 AM   #430
MacchinaRossa
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 88221
What I Drive: Race Red 2012 Ford Focus SEL

FF Reputation: 1 MacchinaRossa Good Standing Member
Just wanted to chime in here - I've been following this thread for a while. I too have the same issue. Bought my car late August and I noticed the same noise a few weeks after. I waited to see if the noise got worse, and decided to take it in February to the dealership closest to my house (not the one I bought the car at). They basically blew me off and said they didn't hear anything. Since then, I have figured that the noise seems to occur after the car has warmed up a bit (after driving 15 mins or so). I'm bringing my car in to the dealership I bought the car at (quite a bit of a drive and a major inconvenience) tomorrow morning, so fingers crossed they find something and fix it and don't completely give me the finger like the other dealership. I've told them specifically to take a look at the strut. Noise appears to be coming from only the passenger side of the car. Very frustrating :|

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.