2012 Titanium Front Strut Low Speed Noise (Clunk/Rattle) - Page 38 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive

MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive The place to chat about TSB and Known Issues for the 2012 Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 06-01-2012, 07:14 PM   #371
Rememo
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 95534
What I Drive: Was 2012 Focus. Now 2013 Impreza.

FF Reputation: 3 Rememo Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PratoN View Post
Anyone between Milwaukee and Chicago want to let me lie on your hood / under your car while you drive 25mph so we can find it? Jk - but seriously.
Heck yeah... I'll remove my hood and bungee you down in its place!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bball40dtw View Post
I've not heard many people wax ecstatic about the NVH qualities of the Mazda 3.
Our 2009 has been fantastic. The only annoying sound it has made was an easily fixed dash rattle. I love driving that car.
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-01-2012, 08:25 PM   #372
theoleman
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 97113
What I Drive: 2012 grey focus sedan

FF Reputation: 1 theoleman Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
I have a clunk noise in the front when going slow over bumps or rough roads I have a 2012 focus se 5 speed sedan and it has made this noise since I got it in march of this year it has about 3500 miles on it. I would like to get it fixed but do not trust most of the service people at the dealer, my radio also seems to sound cheap it is just the regular radio.
Old 06-01-2012, 10:04 PM   #373
bball40dtw
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 85847
What I Drive: 2012 Focus Ti and 2013 C-Max SE

FF Reputation: 1 bball40dtw Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by theoleman View Post
I have a clunk noise in the front when going slow over bumps or rough roads I have a 2012 focus se 5 speed sedan and it has made this noise since I got it in march of this year it has about 3500 miles on it. I would like to get it fixed but do not trust most of the service people at the dealer, my radio also seems to sound cheap it is just the regular radio.
Take it to another dealer. Its under warranty, the dealer is the place to go. If your radio sounds like crap, there are a number of different threads with ideas. If the car clunked and the radio sounded like crap, why did you buy it?
Old 06-01-2012, 10:22 PM   #374
Zillon
Focus Addict

Fan#: 17393
What I Drive: '13 JCW GP

Points 2,504, Level 30
Points: 2,504, Level: 30 Points: 2,504, Level: 30 Points: 2,504, Level: 30
Level Up 36% Completed
Level up: 36% Level up: 36% Level up: 36%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 27 Zillon Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
My car didn't clunk when I drove it home the first night. Took 600 miles for the issue to raise it's head.
Old 06-01-2012, 11:17 PM   #375
jpaul
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 89908
What I Drive: 2012 Sterling Gray Focus Titanium

FF Reputation: 1 jpaul Good Standing Member
Ford is aware of this noise. I had mine fixed a few months ago. I had both front struts replaced. Some people have had motor mounts replaced in order to solve the problem. It can be fixed so don't be to upset. The radio I can't say much about. I have the sony radio in my focus and it sounds good.
Old 06-01-2012, 11:29 PM   #376
jpaul
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 89908
What I Drive: 2012 Sterling Gray Focus Titanium

FF Reputation: 1 jpaul Good Standing Member
Mine was the struts they replaced both front struts and the problem was solved.
Old 06-02-2012, 07:39 AM   #377
theoleman
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 97113
What I Drive: 2012 grey focus sedan

FF Reputation: 1 theoleman Good Standing Member
It did not make the noise on a smooth surface so i didn't notice it till the paper work was done and I was on the way home, As for the radio I didn't thoroughly check it out until I got into the car the next day and could not make it sound right. My brother has a 2012 focus and he complains the radio is junk too.I am a previous focus owner 2011 SE that had a regular radio with sirus and I never complained. My daughter owns one and my son owns a 2012 so I guess thats why I bought it, and I got a good deal.Have you ever bought a new pair of boots or shoes that looked and felt good at the store but when you wore them the next day they hurt your feet.
Old 06-02-2012, 09:43 AM   #378
bball40dtw
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by theoleman View Post
It did not make the noise on a smooth surface so i didn't notice it till the paper work was done and I was on the way home, As for the radio I didn't thoroughly check it out until I got into the car the next day and could not make it sound right. My brother has a 2012 focus and he complains the radio is junk too.I am a previous focus owner 2011 SE that had a regular radio with sirus and I never complained. My daughter owns one and my son owns a 2012 so I guess thats why I bought it, and I got a good deal.Have you ever bought a new pair of boots or shoes that looked and felt good at the store but when you wore them the next day they hurt your feet.
I have size 15 shoes, they don't usually have them at the store. I understand the idea though. I probably shouldn't be critical since I took my Focus back the next day.

It still stands that there are a handful of ways to upgrade your audio system. New speakers and and a new amp are one. JBL has a processor that seems to have worked well for some Focus owners. $500-1000 will go a long way.
Old 06-02-2012, 11:11 AM   #379
clickman
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 93645
What I Drive: 2012 Sterling Grey Titanium HB

Points 173, Level 3
Points: 173, Level: 3 Points: 173, Level: 3 Points: 173, Level: 3
Level Up 46% Completed
Level up: 46% Level up: 46% Level up: 46%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 1 clickman Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpaul View Post
Mine was the struts they replaced both front struts and the problem was solved.
How long ago did you have it done?
Old 06-02-2012, 12:20 PM   #380
bball40dtw
Focus Enthusiast

Alright, I talked to my fiend Mike, who is a qc engineer/plant manager with the subcontractor that makes the struts for the Focus and all C-platform Ford vehicles in North America.

They had some quality control issues especially in Focus mules. There were also some cars that were road tested and had struts or suspension components replaced before retail/dealer delivery. The issue isn't just isolated to the strut itself. Most issues have been related assembly components (bolts, arms, linkages, etc).

However, based on what he told me is that the product they supply, the actual strut, has not been having an increased level of failure compared to other struts/applications. Some early 2012's may have problems, but it has been limited. He believes that issues have more to do with the assembly of the parts, and the quality of other components.

Dealers are replacing the entire strut assembly just like they did with my hood latch assembly. They don't know what is specifically wrong, so they replace the whole thing. Its less tech hours diagnoising, and more tech hours getting paid by warranty work.

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.