2012 Titanium Front Strut Low Speed Noise (Clunk/Rattle) - Page 37 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive

MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive The place to chat about TSB and Known Issues for the 2012 Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 06-01-2012, 11:22 AM   #361
slowmazda3
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 58220
What I Drive: a rental

Points 683, Level 13
Points: 683, Level: 13 Points: 683, Level: 13 Points: 683, Level: 13
Level Up 66% Completed
Level up: 66% Level up: 66% Level up: 66%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 0 slowmazda3 Newbie
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
I have received the runaround from my otherwise excellent dealer. Ken at Hawk Ford tried to BS me, letting me know that the horrendous hollow clunking over bumps was normal because my car was a manual transmission Focus and they would all do that. Lo and behold, with the car off and in neutral, rolling over the same bump would cause the clunk as well. I was told that they could not resolve it and I could try my luck with Ford Customer Service.

Guess the suit and tie discredits me as being technically saavy...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-01-2012, 11:41 AM   #362
Dysan911
Focus Addict

Fan#: 95746
What I Drive: 2012 White, Focus Titanium

FF Reputation: 2 Dysan911 Good Standing Member
slowmazda3,

Can you demand that they pull another new one off the lot and demonstrate the same sound? Or put it in writing that its normal? If they refuse I would contact Ford Customer Service.
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-01-2012, 04:31 PM   #363
fcbaldwin
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 97264
What I Drive: 2012 Ingot Silver Titanium HB

FF Reputation: 1 fcbaldwin Good Standing Member
The wife and I went on a 60 mile roundtrip shopping and lunch outing today. Mostly good roads and varying speeds, 35mph to 55mph with several stops at shopping areas in and around the small town of Manteo, NC. The noise from the front end was constant, with a predominant "tic-toc, pop, clunk, squeak". The wife remarked (unsolicited) "is something loose in this car?" We could hear it at speeds up to 20 - 25mph, but most pronounced when going slow like into and out of parking spaces or pulling up over a bump in a parking lot. I really don't look forward to the ordeal to come with trying to get it fixed.
Old 06-01-2012, 04:44 PM   #364
Rememo
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 95534
What I Drive: Was 2012 Focus. Now 2013 Impreza.

FF Reputation: 3 Rememo Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fcbaldwin View Post
The noise from the front end was constant, with a predominant "tic-toc, pop, clunk, squeak".
I drove my wife's Mazda 3 hatchback for the first time in a long time last weekend, and the first thing that hit me was that the front end was totally silent. I have become so used to the constant noise from the Focus front end that the silence from the 3 hit me like a brick. C'mon Ford... figure it out!
Old 06-01-2012, 04:45 PM   #365
Kaaru
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 96763
What I Drive: '12 Oxford Wh. SEL Sedan 28/07/2011

FF Reputation: 1 Kaaru Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowmazda3 View Post
I have received the runaround from my otherwise excellent dealer. Ken at Hawk Ford tried to BS me, letting me know that the horrendous hollow clunking over bumps was normal because my car was a manual transmission Focus and they would all do that. Lo and behold, with the car off and in neutral, rolling over the same bump would cause the clunk as well. I was told that they could not resolve it and I could try my luck with Ford Customer Service.

Guess the suit and tie discredits me as being technically saavy...

ROLF !! I have the excellent DCT and I have the clunking issue. The tranny type is not relevent IMO
Old 06-01-2012, 05:35 PM   #366
HornedFrog05
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 97892
What I Drive: 2013 Tuxedo Black ST2

FF Reputation: 6 HornedFrog05 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dysan911 View Post
slowmazda3,

Can you demand that they pull another new one off the lot and demonstrate the same sound? Or put it in writing that its normal? If they refuse I would contact Ford Customer Service.
One of the dealerships I went to did a ride along with me in a brand new vehicle (exact same package) and it did not make the sound. A couple days later they called and said that 3 vehicles in service for non-related issues all made the sound. They deemed it as normal-ish and a non-safety issue. BS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fcbaldwin View Post
The wife and I went on a 60 mile roundtrip shopping and lunch outing today. Mostly good roads and varying speeds, 35mph to 55mph with several stops at shopping areas in and around the small town of Manteo, NC. The noise from the front end was constant, with a predominant "tic-toc, pop, clunk, squeak". The wife remarked (unsolicited) "is something loose in this car?" We could hear it at speeds up to 20 - 25mph, but most pronounced when going slow like into and out of parking spaces or pulling up over a bump in a parking lot. I really don't look forward to the ordeal to come with trying to get it fixed.
It's annoying. Try driving clients around (mostly from Germany) and hearing them all ask if my car was "broken." So embarrassing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rememo View Post
I drove my wife's Mazda 3 hatchback for the first time in a long time last weekend, and the first thing that hit me was that the front end was totally silent. I have become so used to the constant noise from the Focus front end that the silence from the 3 hit me like a brick. C'mon Ford... figure it out!
It's very close to the same car, what gives!!!!
Old 06-01-2012, 05:51 PM   #367
PratoN
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 88058
What I Drive: 2012 Kona Blue Ti Hatchback, DCT

Points 2,928, Level 33
Points: 2,928, Level: 33 Points: 2,928, Level: 33 Points: 2,928, Level: 33
Level Up 19% Completed
Level up: 19% Level up: 19% Level up: 19%
Forum Activity 5%
Activity: 5% Activity: 5% Activity: 5%
FF Reputation: 13 PratoN Great Standing Member
I almost wish my car had this issue (not really) so I could help pinpoint it. Anyone between Milwaukee and Chicago want to let me lie on your hood / under your car while you drive 25mph so we can find it? Jk - but seriously.
Old 06-01-2012, 06:01 PM   #368
bball40dtw
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 85847
What I Drive: 2012 Focus Ti and 2013 C-Max SE

FF Reputation: 1 bball40dtw Good Standing Member
HornedFrog05, the Germans should be used to it. At least your Focus doesn't have an evil electrical system or High Pressure Fuel Pump disasters. Every German car I have ever owned (7) has had weird quirks.

It took two years for VW to figure out a solution for a similar issue on MKV Jettas, Golfs, and Passats. The crazy part is that they are still building the MKVI Golf/GTI/A3/A4 with the same bolts that are the problem. Its a $13 fix if a customer has an issue with the noise.
Old 06-01-2012, 06:10 PM   #369
bball40dtw
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 85847
What I Drive: 2012 Focus Ti and 2013 C-Max SE

FF Reputation: 1 bball40dtw Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rememo View Post
I've not heard many people wax ecstatic about the NVH qualities of the Mazda 3. However, it has to be way better than your current state of Focus crunchiness.
Old 06-01-2012, 06:49 PM   #370
Kabigon
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 88299
What I Drive: 2012 sterling gray Titanium

Points 4,200, Level 41
Points: 4,200, Level: 41 Points: 4,200, Level: 41 Points: 4,200, Level: 41
Level Up 25% Completed
Level up: 25% Level up: 25% Level up: 25%
Forum Activity 18%
Activity: 18% Activity: 18% Activity: 18%
FF Reputation: 11 Kabigon Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by HornedFrog05 View Post
They deemed it as normal-ish and a non-safety issue. BS!
It is total nonsense for any service personnel to dismiss this noise issue without fully understanding the cause.

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.