2012 Titanium Front Strut Low Speed Noise (Clunk/Rattle) - Page 33 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive

MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive The place to chat about TSB and Known Issues for the 2012 Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 05-30-2012, 06:25 AM   #321
TboneZX3
Ford Fiend

Fan#: 90494
What I Drive: '12 SE Sport, '01 ZX3, '67 Bronco

FF Reputation: 10 TboneZX3 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MKorn View Post
Maybe a dab of silicone!?!?
I'd say that would work fine. I'm going to try using a piece of gaffer's tape on each of mine where the bumpstops thread into the plastic nut/shaft piece.
Hatch Nation #90
'12 SE Sport 5Dr |╠╬╝|Sterling Grey Metallic|203a|Moonroof|17" Paint/Mach Whls|K&N 57S-4000|FFE RMM|Steeda STB, RSB|JBR bushings
'01 ZX3|╠╬╝|Pitch Black|Prem. pkg.|Moonroof|SVT Snorkel|SVT Springs|S2 Dampers|Steeda STS|Magnaflow exh.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-30-2012, 07:04 AM   #322
Dysan911
Focus Addict

Fan#: 95746
What I Drive: 2012 White, Focus Titanium

FF Reputation: 2 Dysan911 Good Standing Member
Not to take away from diagnosis of it being the hood stops but I'm just curious how that could be it when so many of us only notice the issue with a passenger.

That tells me right there that if it were my hood I would here the same consistency and intensity of the noise ALL the time but I only here the chatter when I have a passenger or two.

FWIW, My service dept attached sound sensors under the hood in any area they suspected the noise was coming from and said the sound was emanating strongly from the strut tower so they have just about every part associated with that on order and Ford told them the some of the parts were back ordered and may not be avail until 6/11. That suggests to me that for those parts to be out of stock, there has to be a lot of dealers out there ordering them and hopefully will get Ford's attention to resolve this lame issue once and for all!.
Old 05-30-2012, 07:10 AM   #323
ricomtl
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 97818
What I Drive: 2012 Focus Titanium Hatch Tx. Black

FF Reputation: 1 ricomtl Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dysan911 View Post
Not to take away from diagnosis of it being the hood stops but I'm just curious how that could be it when so many of us only notice the issue with a passenger.

That tells me right there that if it were my hood I would here the same consistency and intensity of the noise ALL the time but I only here the chatter when I have a passenger or two.

FWIW, My service dept attached sound sensors under the hood in any area they suspected the noise was coming from and said the sound was emanating strongly from the strut tower so they have just about every part associated with that on order and Ford told them the some of the parts were back ordered and may not be avail until 6/11. That suggests to me that for those parts to be out of stock, there has to be a lot of dealers out there ordering them and hopefully will get Ford's attention to resolve this lame issue once and for all!.
Can't wait to see if that will work out for you Dysan! I'm scheduling an appointment with my dealer today, and will give him a summary of things that have been done and did not work, hopefully this can guide them a little bit.

I do agree with you that if the hood was at fault, it would concistently clunk regardless of # of passengers. What it's below 20 degrees C (as the past 2 mornings), I don't get the clunk even with a passenger. It only starts when it warms up.

Last weekend I went on a trip with 4 adults in the car. Let me tell you that as soon as we hit the city with bumpy roads, it was a clunking symphony. Music couldn't even cover it.
Old 05-30-2012, 07:51 AM   #324
fcbaldwin
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 97264
What I Drive: 2012 Ingot Silver Titanium HB

FF Reputation: 1 fcbaldwin Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dysan911 View Post

I agree with you about having a passenger makes the clunk louder, and so what in the world could the hood have to do with it. I just drove it through a shopping center parking lot and did notice the clunk again, but I don't hear the rattle that usually accompanies/follows the clunk. Maybe the rattle was the hood.
Old 05-30-2012, 09:52 AM   #325
Lipshurt
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 92314
What I Drive: 2012 blue focus SE

FF Reputation: 2 Lipshurt Good Standing Member
Early on I thoughtbinhad success with the hood stops and insulating the hood etc. that was not it though.

I got under the car with a stethoscope and had someone kick the wheel just the right way to make the sound.. The sound was not from the wheel or anything that I could reach with the hose. I'm getting a clip on mic today and that may shed some light on things too..
Old 05-30-2012, 10:22 AM   #326
HornedFrog05
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 97892
What I Drive: 2013 Tuxedo Black ST2

FF Reputation: 6 HornedFrog05 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
I checked my hood and it doesn't appear to be misaligned. Mine definitely sounds like a rattling, almost back and forth sounding. Has anyone tried unlatching the hood and driving over some speed bumps while it's up? I might try this today.
Old 05-30-2012, 01:07 PM   #327
bball40dtw
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 85847
What I Drive: 2012 Focus Ti and 2013 C-Max SE

FF Reputation: 1 bball40dtw Good Standing Member
I don't know if it has been mentioned before, but many VW products, especially GTIs have had a similar issue. I haven't had the noise on my Focus, but I recently had the sub-frame bolts on my GTI replaced and spacers added. The original bolts were not beefy enough. Over time(after 10000-15000 miles), this created a clunk on low speed turns and when braking at low speed. It was much more noticable the warmer the weather. I know the Golf/Focus suspension are similar, so this could be the issue. VW has a TSB on the MkV Golf and GTI for the low speed clunk.
Old 05-30-2012, 03:11 PM   #328
HornedFrog05
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 97892
What I Drive: 2013 Tuxedo Black ST2

FF Reputation: 6 HornedFrog05 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Popped the hood and rolled over some speed bumps at low speeds and the rattle was still there. I did notice that the hood looks like it's scraping into the passenger light housing. Might get this checked out at the dealer once my replacement rear seats come in.

Anyone know if there's a correlation between the AC unit (when it's on vs. off)? Might try and tinker with that. I just got a GoPro Hero2 cam so I was thinking about attaching it near the wheel and spying on the suspension while I roll over some bumps. I'll keep everyone updated.

There's another discussion going on about the engine mounts. Some people have had success installing Mazdaspeed 3 rear engine mounts on their Focus. I might try that as well. I really just want this nightmare to be over.
Old 05-30-2012, 03:31 PM   #329
TboneZX3
Ford Fiend

Fan#: 90494
What I Drive: '12 SE Sport, '01 ZX3, '67 Bronco

FF Reputation: 10 TboneZX3 Great Standing Member
It's not likely that the Mazda "rear engine mount" (actually a roll restrictor) will fix your issue. The roll restrictor only limits the roll of the engine fore/aft, it doesn't support the weight of the engine. If that part was bad, you would have a loud knock during acceleration/takeoff and deceleration, not going over bumps.
Hatch Nation #90
'12 SE Sport 5Dr |╠╬╝|Sterling Grey Metallic|203a|Moonroof|17" Paint/Mach Whls|K&N 57S-4000|FFE RMM|Steeda STB, RSB|JBR bushings
'01 ZX3|╠╬╝|Pitch Black|Prem. pkg.|Moonroof|SVT Snorkel|SVT Springs|S2 Dampers|Steeda STS|Magnaflow exh.
Old 05-30-2012, 03:55 PM   #330
bball40dtw
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 85847
What I Drive: 2012 Focus Ti and 2013 C-Max SE

FF Reputation: 1 bball40dtw Good Standing Member
This: http://www.ecstuning.com/News/MKV_Subframe_Spacer/

Different vechicle, same idea. I could not standing the clunking and rattling of my GTI. The new bolts and spacer fixed all of my issues. I'm not saying that its the same issue, but from what everyone is saying, it sure sound like it.

Bookmarks & Social Networks