2012 Titanium Front Strut Low Speed Noise (Clunk/Rattle) - Page 32 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive

MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive The place to chat about TSB and Known Issues for the 2012 Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 05-24-2012, 11:22 AM   #311
FGLLMX
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 98526
What I Drive: 2013 Audi A1 Ego 1.4TSFI S-Tronic

FF Reputation: 1 FGLLMX Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
The noise is completely gone in mine. However, at the time of the body adjustments, I only had put about 200 miles on the Focus, mostly driving alone, so I donīt know if a passenger would have changed the situation. If anything changes in the comming miles I will post it.
Good luck!!!
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-25-2012, 11:24 AM   #312
HornedFrog05
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 97892
What I Drive: 2013 Tuxedo Black ST2

FF Reputation: 6 HornedFrog05 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Took my vehicle into a different dealer and they told me, "nothing seems to be wrong in the front-end where the replacement parts were installed, this might just be a characteristic of the vehicle."

UNACCEPTABLE! I F-ING HATE FORD!!!!
Old 05-25-2012, 08:23 PM   #313
12FOCUS S
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 98622
What I Drive: '13 FOCUS ST/'12 Mustang GT BBP

FF Reputation: 1 12FOCUS S Good Standing Member
Question

I have yet to receive a response as well. I sent the requested info 5/14 via PM. The shock and/or shock mounts are suspect as well with rattle over certain road surfaces. The EPAS system needs constant correction required driving down a new Tollway here in Texas. Cross winds play big time in the required constant correction factor.

The front rattles on undulated surfaces like it has 60,000 miles. This vehicle has less than 1500 miles........

Last edited by 12FOCUS S; 05-26-2012 at 02:31 AM.
Old 05-27-2012, 02:39 PM   #314
Lipshurt
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 92314
What I Drive: 2012 blue focus SE

Points 732, Level 14
Points: 732, Level: 14 Points: 732, Level: 14 Points: 732, Level: 14
Level Up 32% Completed
Level up: 32% Level up: 32% Level up: 32%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 2 Lipshurt Good Standing Member
Mine has been getting worse, but only for about he first 20 minutes of driving.
That should be a huge clue right here.
So this week I washed it twice, and after each wash the noise was very prominent, even though it was pretty much gone going to he car wash because of driving for about two hours. So then yesterday I sprayed the wheels with water, and that made the noise very prominent and very often.

So I started kicking the wheels (done this many many times over the last few months!) and found a way to kick the wheel which makes the rattle happen loudly and really rattle-ey.
Seems like it should be really easy to locate the sound when you can just make it happen.
It's coming from an area slightly behind the wheel, and slightly inboard... At least I think so!

I'm gonna get my stethoscope and isolate it.

It's not struts, or any other other major piece of the suspension, that is why the techs can find it. Cooling off the wheel helps to loosen up the sound though, so maybe some of us should try that and see if this applies to other cars as well.
Old 05-27-2012, 02:42 PM   #315
Lipshurt
Focus Enthusiast

Points 732, Level 14
Level Up 32% Completed
Forum Activity 0%
Oops I forgot to say how I make my sound happen every time......

I have the sport wheels, and if I kick with my heel downward on the spoke with is horizontal and pointing forward the sound rattles big time. Kicking the tire or wheel kind of hints at he sound, but does not get a nice long rattle
Old 05-27-2012, 06:49 PM   #316
Dysan911
Focus Addict

Fan#: 95746
What I Drive: 2012 White, Focus Titanium

FF Reputation: 2 Dysan911 Good Standing Member
That might just be the Brake Calipers right? have someone light hold the brake pedal down while you kick the wheel and see if the sound still occurs.
Old 05-27-2012, 07:10 PM   #317
Lipshurt
Focus Enthusiast

Points 732, Level 14
Level Up 32% Completed
Forum Activity 0%
Nope it does it when braking or not braking. I insulated the caliper with rubber and felt. Plus the sound is not coming from there.

There are a lot places where it could be. I have not had anyone to help me with his today, but probably tomorrow I can. It will take two people of course, one the make the sound while other finds the sound.

My feeling now is that it's between two parts that should or be touching, not between two parts that do not touch tightly enough. The sound is at a frequency of about 16th notes at 160 beats per minute (I'm a musician:) which means the parts have to be moving about a 16th of an inch, and under not very much tension. Gut feelings of course:)
Old 05-29-2012, 10:10 AM   #318
Dysan911
Focus Addict

Fan#: 95746
What I Drive: 2012 White, Focus Titanium

FF Reputation: 2 Dysan911 Good Standing Member
Any further luck with this Lipshurt?
Old 05-30-2012, 06:32 AM   #319
fcbaldwin
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 97264
What I Drive: 2012 Ingot Silver Titanium HB

FF Reputation: 1 fcbaldwin Good Standing Member
I did some fine tuning (fiddling) with the hood stops. I tried to raise them up just enough so that when the hood is closed, it is supported snugly by the rubber on top of the stops. Maybe it's wishful thinking, but the car seems not to clunk now. One problem that I see with these stops is that they seem to be loose. Is there a way to "lock" them in place after you get them adjusted?
Old 05-30-2012, 06:40 AM   #320
MKorn
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 97610
What I Drive: 2012, SE, Sport, 5MT, Hatch -Silver

FF Reputation: 1 MKorn Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by fcbaldwin View Post
I did some fine tuning (fiddling) with the hood stops. I tried to raise them up just enough so that when the hood is closed, it is supported snugly by the rubber on top of the stops. Maybe it's wishful thinking, but the car seems not to clunk now. One problem that I see with these stops is that they seem to be loose. Is there a way to "lock" them in place after you get them adjusted?
Maybe a dab of silicone!?!?

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.