2012 Titanium Front Strut Low Speed Noise (Clunk/Rattle) - Page 264 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive

MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive The place to chat about TSB and Known Issues for the 2012 Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 11-29-2013, 10:47 AM   #2631
FordService
Official Ford Rep

Fan#: 79824
What I Drive: Ford Focus

FF Reputation: 18 FordService Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by drwiggapeterson View Post
I don't know if anyone has had this problem I am pretty sure they have. But oddly this started about a week ago I have 55k miles and when ever my car moves forward I hear grinding noise from what seems to be the front driver side.
Hello drwiggapeterson,

Have you been to the dealer for this concern? I'd like to look into this further; please send me a private message with your full name, best daytime phone number, VIN, mileage, and servicing dealership.

Todd

p: 800.392.FORD
t: @FordService @FordFocus @Ford
f: facebook.com/FordFocus facebook.com/Ford
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-29-2013, 12:54 PM   #2632
drwiggapeterson
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 116479
What I Drive: 2012,sterling grey,sel hatchback

FF Reputation: 2 drwiggapeterson Good Standing Member
My name is mikeal Peterson but the focus is under my mothers name it was a gift. I have not went to my dealership yet can't till Tuesday Wednesday those are my days off. I have just about 56k miles on the 2012 focus sel. I'm just scared because I don't want to get abused at a dealership for "needing" parts that I won't really even need. But I'll pm you my phone number

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12-24-2013, 11:33 AM   #2633
mustangmatty
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 102915
What I Drive: 2012 Tuxedo Black SEL

FF Reputation: 1 mustangmatty Good Standing Member
Been following this thread for a long time now in hopes of a permanent fix before taking it in to the dealer again. Well, time to add me to the list of front-end noise. I have a 2012 SEL with a production date of 11/11. Shortly after having the car I took it in for clunking at slow speeds over bumps and dips. Got the "no problem found" response. Fast forward to 28k on the odometer. Sick of hearing it I took it in again. This time they replaced the lower control arms and swaybar bushing. Noise still present after driving away from the dealer. Made another appointment today for Jan 6th. Been a ford guy all my life and have purchased many new Fords....C'mon Ford fix this issue!
Old 12-24-2013, 01:07 PM   #2634
wavsine
Focus Addict

Fan#: 118470
What I Drive: 2013 Focus SE Oxford White Hatch 5m

FF Reputation: 6 wavsine Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustangmatty View Post
Been following this thread for a long time now in hopes of a permanent fix before taking it in to the dealer again. Well, time to add me to the list of front-end noise. I have a 2012 SEL with a production date of 11/11. Shortly after having the car I took it in for clunking at slow speeds over bumps and dips. Got the "no problem found" response. Fast forward to 28k on the odometer. Sick of hearing it I took it in again. This time they replaced the lower control arms and swaybar bushing. Noise still present after driving away from the dealer. Made another appointment today for Jan 6th. Been a ford guy all my life and have purchased many new Fords....C'mon Ford fix this issue!
The fix is simple. Apply this TSB and the clunk will be gone:

http://www.fordtechservice.dealercon...uage=EN&VIN=no
Old 12-24-2013, 11:20 PM   #2635
svenster
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 106888
What I Drive: 2013 Ford Focus Titanium

FF Reputation: 1 svenster Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by wavsine View Post

Agreed. This fixes it perfectly. No more noise.
Old 01-16-2014, 05:04 PM   #2636
BlazeFocus
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 104991
What I Drive: _

FF Reputation: 2 BlazeFocus Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by wavsine View Post

Well I'll be damned.
An official TSB that is essentially the home grown, sure fire fix from last year - - lube the heck out of the strut shaft everywhere it makes contact to the ID of the bump stop.
LMAO, but seriously, this is poetic justice and common engineering sense all rolled into one. Ford in Dearborn should pay Dysan911 for finding this fix!

Glad to see it honestly!

And to all the pundits that said it was a nonsense remedy,

raspberries to you!

[ F Y I : Focus ST's have the same issue... ]

UPDATE: no one ever claimed this was the ONE & ONLY fix for a ONE & ONLY problem. LMAO
Old 01-16-2014, 05:34 PM   #2637
dyn085
That Guy

Fan#: 98047
What I Drive: 2014 FiST/FoST

FF Reputation: 46 dyn085 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlazeFocus View Post
Well I'll be damned.
An official TSB that is essentially the home grown, sure fire fix from last year - - lube the heck out of the strut shaft everywhere it makes contact to the ID of the bump stop.
LMAO, but seriously, this is poetic justice and common engineering sense all rolled into one. Ford in Dearborn should pay Dysan911 for finding this fix!

Glad to see it honestly!

And to all the pundits that said it was a nonsense remedy,

raspberries to you!

[ F Y I : Focus ST's have the same issue... ]
You clearly don't know what poetic justice is. Use Google.

Fwiw, I don't think anyone said that Dysan's method wouldn't work. If anything, most everyone said to try it first as it was the easiest and most inexpensive possible fix. But there are many, like myself, that didn't get resolution by using it...so it's definitely not the 'only' fix.

I'm just glad to see that Dysan got a fan-boy, people are getting this resolved, and this thread is starting to dissipate

FocusFest 2013: Best of Show
Gateway FFW: Show Class Outstanding
September '13 ROTM
2014 FiST-
Old 01-16-2014, 07:44 PM   #2638
ZX3nowFociTi
Banned

Fan#: 135641
What I Drive: 2012 red foci ti

FF Reputation: 1 ZX3nowFociTi Good Standing Member
Liberally apply Motorcraft® Silicone Brake Caliper Grease and Dielectric Compound to the length of the strut shaft that contacts the jounce bumper, plus 15 mm (1/2 inch).
Ensure the lubricant is applied completely around the strut shaft.

Lubricate the top of the jounce bumper and position the jounce bumper into the strut bearing.

Anyone had this done at a dealership?
Old 01-16-2014, 09:31 PM   #2639
dyn085
That Guy

Fan#: 98047
What I Drive: 2014 FiST/FoST

FF Reputation: 46 dyn085 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZX3nowFociTi View Post
Liberally apply Motorcraft® Silicone Brake Caliper Grease and Dielectric Compound to the length of the strut shaft that contacts the jounce bumper, plus 15 mm (1/2 inch).
Ensure the lubricant is applied completely around the strut shaft.

Lubricate the top of the jounce bumper and position the jounce bumper into the strut bearing.

Anyone had this done at a dealership?
I believe there is a separate thread about this TSB in the problems area in which people that had had it done at the dealership were posting in. I would look and link you but I'm not at my computer. Open Wavsine's link and write the TSB number down and then do a forum search and I think you'll find it.

Besides that thread, many members were getting good results by doing this at home before the TSB was created (called the Dysan method, as that was the original member that figured it out). They have posted it in this thread, though you would have to do a lot of reading to find them...

It's the cheapest and easiest possible fix and definitely worth a shot.

FocusFest 2013: Best of Show
Gateway FFW: Show Class Outstanding
September '13 ROTM
2014 FiST-
Old 01-17-2014, 02:56 AM   #2640
12FOCUS S
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 98622
What I Drive: '13 FOCUS ST/'12 Mustang GT BBP

FF Reputation: 1 12FOCUS S Good Standing Member
Talking perpectual clunk.........

Yes, the 2013 Focus ST also has clunk. But so far I am enjoying it immensely. Quite an upgrade from the 2012 S.

Ford cracks me up.....

The SERVICE at Bob Utter Ford is bar none. AutoNation is a disaster compared to the one offs that are left! Bill Utter in Denton are good people as well!!!
Attached Images

Bookmarks & Social Networks