2012 Titanium Front Strut Low Speed Noise (Clunk/Rattle) - Page 25 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive

MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive The place to chat about TSB and Known Issues for the 2012 Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 05-11-2012, 06:23 AM   #241
Brabs_Weather
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 93741
What I Drive: 04 Ex Ltd, 08 Edge Ltd, 12 FF Ti

FF Reputation: 2 Brabs_Weather Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
The coolant reservoir on mine does not vibrate at all. I hit it pretty hard and it is study. I was looking at the piece of metal under the cat. It is only held in by 2 bolts and does have a little vibration when you whack it. Also the wheel well inner location has some play too. Just some thoughts. I have the clunk too, but mine happens even whe not going over speed bumps at slow speed. <15mph.
Borla Exhaust with UltraQuiet resonator
K&N X-4870. Steeda RSB
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-11-2012, 06:30 AM   #242
Dysan911
Focus Addict

Fan#: 95746
What I Drive: 2012 White, Focus Titanium

FF Reputation: 2 Dysan911 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpr0204 View Post
Good Evening All,

Sorry it has been a few days since I posted. Been very busy with work and my daughter. Well, I about ruled out the dealership as well as everyone in Ford customer relations to get this noise fixed. I took it upon myself to disconnect the front sway bar end links and take it for a ride. Well, I wish I could say that made the noise go away, but it didn't. The noise is still present even with the front end links disconnected, so that leads me to rule them out as a possible issue. Anybody else try anything different? I recall someone saying that the coolant expansion tank is quite flimsy and and is only retained by one clip. I took a look at mine and I agree it is flimsy but it is not moving around.
Well for the do-it yourselfer's. I think we should at least take advantage of some of the info Ford has provided us. My Service rep said with the help of those electronic ears the sound seems to indicate the top area of the struts. I'm pretty sure if the coolant tank was flopping around that Ford would have picked up on that one by now. Does anyone have an exploded view of our strut assembly?
Old 05-11-2012, 08:53 PM   #243
VelociRacer
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 97968
What I Drive: 12 BlueC SE Sport 5DR+5SP+201A+Wntr

FF Reputation: 1 VelociRacer Good Standing Member
Just a hunch but has anyone checked if the hood is touching the headlamp lens when you press down on the hood just above the headlamp?

There are 2 large round pads on each side of the radiator that are adjustable and control the position of the hood when closed. Everyone should make fine adjustments as there's huge variation from factory.

Screw them down all the way and you can see a little gap to the hood if you shine a flashlight. Unscrew them up a few turns at a time until they barely touch the hood when closed. The correct height would be 1 or 2 turns up from that point, no more, no less.

EDIT: A strip of weather seal foam (closed-cell) on the hood edge (headlamp area) should take care of this issue as well.
Old 05-12-2012, 08:24 AM   #244
Dysan911
Focus Addict

Fan#: 95746
What I Drive: 2012 White, Focus Titanium

FF Reputation: 2 Dysan911 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by VelociRacer View Post
Just a hunch but has anyone checked if the hood is touching the headlamp lens when you press down on the hood just above the headlamp?

There are 2 large round pads on each side of the radiator that are adjustable and control the position of the hood when closed. Everyone should make fine adjustments as there's huge variation from factory.

Screw them down all the way and you can see a little gap to the hood if you shine a flashlight. Unscrew them up a few turns at a time until they barely touch the hood when closed. The correct height would be 1 or 2 turns up from that point, no more, no less.

EDIT: A strip of weather seal foam (closed-cell) on the hood edge (headlamp area) should take care of this issue as well.
This is just me but I don't think its anything like that at all. If it were the case I would hear the noise all the time and would probably be able to reproduce it by lifting up and pressing down on the hood. Also the Ford Tech's connected electronic listening devices to my car and isolated the issue at the struts.

If anything, my theory is, its possibly a design flaw. Maybe a bushing that doesn't quite seat right when the springs compress. So those that have had Ford replace the springs end up saying it didn't resolve the issue. No fix likely until the Ford Engineers come up with something and hopefully soon.

FWIW - My Dealership has parts on order for my car so next week after they install them I will let everyone know if it made any difference. If it doesn't, It will be curious what my dealership techs come up with next.
Old 05-12-2012, 04:35 PM   #245
Zillon
Focus Addict

Fan#: 17393
What I Drive: '13 GTI

FF Reputation: 27 Zillon Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Well, if they've isolated the problem at the struts, then it's either the strut or the strut bearing.

I'm leaning more towards the strut bearing itself, after removing mine and examining them in my hands, I didn't really find them to be as sturdy as the ones that were in my Scion. Also, there's a lot of plastic content in the strut bearing.
Old 05-12-2012, 04:42 PM   #246
sirhawkeye
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 83605
What I Drive: 2012 Focus SE Ingot Silver HB

FF Reputation: 1 sirhawkeye Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by theos2 View Post
I also had the 11-11-2 TSB done last year. it did not fix my problem...... This TSB was done at the 2nd dealer after they acknowledged the sound. When I told them the sound is still there, they said it was normal. Ford dealers and Ford policies are a JOKE! Can't wait to get rid of this car. Ford lost me and all of my family and friends from being customers for life. i have alone prevented 2-3 people from buying a Ford Focus, and make sure to tell everyone that asks me about the car about the problems.
How many dealers have yo utaken the car to? I had to take mine to about 4 dealers before I could get one to re-program my trans computer (under a TSB). Unfortunately, it was a dealer that I didn't like too much, but at least they go the job when my "normal" preferred dealer said NO and that the problems i had were normal. I know this doesn't have to do with your suspension issue, but you may need to keep searching for a dealer until you get one that will fix the issue.

You can also try to PM the username "FordCustomerService" to see if you can get assistance. They've helped many people on this forum. I would give that a try if you're having issues with the dealer. FordcustomerService is a group of people from Ford's customer relations dept (From what I know of).
Old 05-14-2012, 01:11 AM   #247
12FOCUS S
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 98622
What I Drive: '13 FOCUS ST/'12 Mustang GT BBP

FF Reputation: 1 12FOCUS S Good Standing Member
Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by FordCustomerService View Post
Hey 12FOCUS S,

Congratulations on the Focus!

Let's have these concerns reviewed by the Customer Service Manager for your area. Shoot me a PM with your contact information, dealer name/state, approximate mileage, and VIN.

Take care!

Noemi
Thank you for your response. Ford will replace my defective rear seat cover. The front end was aligned due to mis-alignment from the factory. The on-center of the steering wheel varies daily a minute amount! EPAS is suspect as well due to wandering on the tollway. I understand this issue was supposed to be resolved on earlier production run. The steering needs constant correction at highway speeds. The strut bearings sound like the car has 50,000 miles not 500 miles. This is a chronic issue and FORD must be responsible. Something is NOT right here. 3/6/2012 build date.

Last edited by 12FOCUS S; 06-21-2012 at 01:00 PM.
Old 05-14-2012, 06:14 AM   #248
shineboy
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 60173
What I Drive: 2013 ST, 2004 Cobra

FF Reputation: 1 shineboy Good Standing Member
Good thread... I wonder if I am having the same problem. Suspension / motor mount.

For back ground I have ~25,000 miles on mine and is a great in all aspects (imo) , nearly 40 on highway trips, except one very bad and potentially big problem. Serious vibration at 55mpg (also at other speeds but 55 is the worst), from the transmission according to the dealer. "First order vibration" Really?? I was told "that is the way it is, new ones do it too".

Funny, mine didn’t start till after 20,000+ miles. I drive the same road everyday, twice a day for the past year and the road has not changed but the car has. When I drove a brand new one recently, no vibration. I can get past the transmission feels different, you feel shifts and some vibration when you are stopped in drive. BUT driving at normal speed it is enough to vibrate a bobble head on the dash. Initially it was thought to be a tire problem.

One tire on the car was worn out at 25,000 miles, down to the wear bars and out of round, you could physically see different sides (of the tire) of the road contact patch was not worn evenly. Continental ContiProContact 215/50/17. I think the tire change treated a symptom but not the real problem. Probably something wore that tire out, it certainly wasn't not that lack of wheel spinning power. It sort has that convertible cowl shake when it hits a bump, sort of settles out verses soaking it up.

After a set of 900$ Michelins it still vibrates, maybe not as bad but obviously still there. I am willing to bet no one in the world want to invest 20 some thousand into a car that vibrates at 55 mph after ~20k miles. I will let you drive my car... Ford has been far less than helpful. Hopefully a FSE will look at it.

Wit all that said, I am pretty unhappy at the moment.
Old 05-14-2012, 09:21 AM   #249
FordService
Official Ford Rep

Fan#: 79824
What I Drive: Ford Focus

FF Reputation: 18 FordService Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by SD Focus1 View Post
So I got my Titanium Hatchback back from the dealer. The sunroof was replaced so the leak issue is fixed, but the dealer said they could not find the clunk noise from the front right of the car and said "no problem found". So I am a bit frustrated. The noise is now intermittent; sometimes it’s more noticeable at times than others...
Morning SD Focus1,

I appreciate your patience as the dealer continues to work on locating the cause of the clunk noise. I’ll be happy to arrange a call from the Customer Service Manager for your area. In order to do so, please shoot me a PM with your contact information, dealer name/state, approximate mileage, and VIN.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HornedFrog05 View Post
Bummer... we have the same issues, my rear seats are coming off of the backing...
Hey HornedFrog05,

Pleasure to meet you!

I’m the friendly Ford Customer Service Rep on the forum. Allow me to escalate the noise and rear seat issue to the Customer Service Representative for your area. Shoot me a PM your VIN, phone number, mileage, and dealer information to begin the process.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dysan911 View Post
...FWIW - My Dealership has parts on order for my car so next week after they install them I will let everyone know if it made any difference. If it doesn't, It will be curious what my dealership techs come up with next.
Hi Dysan911,

I’m glad to learn the dealership is making progress with your Focus. Some time ago, I escalated a case on your behalf for another concern. I will be glad to do so again for the noise. Please send a PM with the approximate mileage, and dealer name/location.

Quote:
Originally Posted by josh1899 View Post
Had mine replaced as well. Sorry to say that the noise persists .....Both struts and strut bearings. Good luck.
josh1899,

Let’s have the Customer Service Manager review the noise concern. Please PM your VIN, phone number, mileage, and dealer information to begin the process.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpr0204 View Post
...Sorry it has been a few days since I posted. Been very busy with work and my daughter. Well, I about ruled out the dealership as well as everyone in Ford customer relations to get this noise fixed....
Morning jpr0204,

Please don’t rule me out; I’ll be happy to help you. Shoot me a PM with your contact information, dealer name/state, approximate mileage, and VIN. I’ll contact the Customer Service Manager for your area about the strut noise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brabs_Weather View Post
...I have the clunk too, but mine happens even whe not going over speed bumps at slow speed. <15mph.
Brabs_Weather,

I’m sure the local Ford dealer will diagnose the cause of the strut noise. Give them a call, and set up an appointment with the service department. When you do so, please send me a PM with your contact information, dealer name/state, approximate mileage, and VIN in order to escalate the concern to the Customer Service Manager.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12FOCUS S View Post
Thank you for your response. Bill Utter Ford will replace my defective rear seat cover...
Hello again 12FOCUS S,

Thank you for your response.

The multiple issues you have stated will be addressed by the Customer Service Manager. However, in order to begin this process, I will need a PM with the previously requested information. I’ll be on the lookout for your message.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shineboy View Post
Good thread... I wonder if I am having the same problem. Suspension / motor mount...Serious vibration at 55mpg (also at other speeds but 55 is the worst), from the transmission according to the dealer...
Shineboy,

I'm able to escalate the strut noise concern, and arrange a call from the Customer Service Manager for your area. For me to lend a hand, please send a PM with your contact information, dealer name/state, approximate mileage, and VIN.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirhawkeye View Post
...you can also try to PM the username "FordCustomerService" to see if you can get assistance. They've helped many people on this forum. I would give that a try if you're having issues with the dealer. FordcustomerService is a group of people from Ford's customer relations dept (From what I know of).
Hey sirhawkeye,

Thanks for advising your fellow posters to contact me. I’ll be more than happy to help them with their concerns.

Take care!

Noemi

p: 800.392.FORD
t: @FordService @FordFocus @Ford
f: facebook.com/FordFocus facebook.com/Ford

Last edited by FordService; 05-15-2012 at 01:53 PM.
Old 05-14-2012, 03:28 PM   #250
Zillon
Focus Addict

Fan#: 17393
What I Drive: '13 GTI

FF Reputation: 27 Zillon Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zillon View Post
Well, if they've isolated the problem at the struts, then it's either the strut or the strut bearing.

I'm leaning more towards the strut bearing itself, after removing mine and examining them in my hands, I didn't really find them to be as sturdy as the ones that were in my Scion. Also, there's a lot of plastic content in the strut bearing.
To further my previous statement, I'd place a strong bet on the strut bearings being the culprit behind this noisy mess.

I've been fighting with a slow server here at work causing my uploads to take forever, so I've had some downtime to research the issue a bit. The Volvo C30 and Mazda3 are basically platform twins to our Focus. The front strut bearing, from what I can see in photos, is very similar, if not identical to what is used on our cars.

One big difference I've found, is that our strut bearing is CHEAP in cost compared to the others. The Mazda unit lists for $50(OnlineMazdaParts & Rosenthal), The Volvo at $21 (MyVolvoPartsOnline), while the FoMoCo part lists for only $13 (Tousley). Regardless of cost, the Volvo and Mazda guys seem to be having the same issues, although theirs seem to be at a later point in ownership (not at ~600 miles, as mine has been from).

On the Volvo side, there is an aftermarket product offered under the Febi/Bilstein brand. This might be of interest to some of us.

This is something I'm continuing to look into, I just figured I'd put my thoughts and notes down in a post before I dive deeper.

Bookmarks & Social Networks