2012 Titanium Front Strut Low Speed Noise (Clunk/Rattle) - Page 244 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive

MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive The place to chat about TSB and Known Issues for the 2012 Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 07-08-2013, 11:27 PM   #2431
Shade-010
Sonic Crew # 010

Fan#: 87369
What I Drive: 2012 Ford Focus SE Sport - 5 Speed

FF Reputation: 9 Shade-010 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seminoles View Post
Which coilovers did you go with any other mod's needed to install such as cutting or wheel spacers?
He used V-Maxx Coilovers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dyn085 View Post
Well, update time. I installed my coilovers yesterday, which eliminate the upper mount strut bearing. Just like the first time, when I took the upper mount off one of my bearings came apart and spewed its bearings across the floor. My clunk is now gone.
They are not meant to eliminate the upper strut mount bearing, they utilize the OE upper strut mount and Bearing. or you can order new Pillowball Strut mounts aftermarket.
http://www.rebeldevil.com

Last edited by dyn085; 07-29-2013 at 04:45 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-09-2013, 09:34 AM   #2432
dyn085
That Guy

Fan#: 98047
What I Drive: 2014 FiST/FoST

FF Reputation: 46 dyn085 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seminoles View Post
Which coilovers did you go with any other mod's needed to install such as cutting or wheel spacers?
I used V-Maxx coils due to their cost, though I also replaced the upper bearings, front endlinks, and all of the suspension bolts that had to come out. No other mods are necessary.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shade-010 View Post
They are not meant to eliminate the upper strut mount bearing, they utilize the OE upper strut mount and Bearing. or you can order new Pillowball Strut mounts aftermarket.
Yes, we've gone over this via text. Had I known that additional parts should have been ordered prior to ordering, I would have looked into it. Yes, the new bearings are installed and there is still no clunk. This is why I did my replacement one piece at a time instead of throwing all of my parts in at once-to differentiate exactly what made my clunk disappear. I did it specifically to help out this thread or else I would have replaced everything at once and been done with it. Instead, my suspension came out or apart four different times.

Ultimately, the point everyone should take is that there are multiple sources of clunk in our suspensions. There have been definitive reports of people having the fix by either lubing the bump-stops, replacing the upper bearing, and even by replacing the endlinks. I really wish that I could say specifically that x-car has x-problem, but unfortunately I can't. For those that have no Ford assistance I recommend doing the bump-stops first. If that doesn't work, you can do the endlinks quite easily in an hour or two. Finally, you can do the upper bearings in a day in your garage and the new bearings definitely look like they're going to help. They appear to be better supported to distribute the load imposed on them by the spring.

Something that I noticed in regards to my suspension was that I was able to duplicate the clunk sound with the car jacked up and supported, wheels off, and rotating the strut by turning the steering knuckle by hand. I already knew that one of my bearings were shot, so this may help some people in diagnosing. If you've already lubed your bearings and had no success, simply grab the caliper and rotate the knuckle left and right. If you hear it and the sound is coming from the top of the strut then drop the bump-stop out of its location and try again. If you still hear it-order bearings.

Finally, for those doing their own suspension work, every single bolt/nut in your suspension is a 'one-time use' fastener. If you choose to re-use parts that is your call, but if you're going to replace some then replace them all (of the ones that you remove, not literally all of the bolts/nuts). For those pulling their struts that means your upper mount bolts, upper mount nut, spindle pinch-bolt, and endlink nuts. And please-don't use impact guns for installing.

FocusFest 2013: Best of Show
Gateway FFW: Show Class Outstanding
September '13 ROTM
2014 FiST-
Old 07-09-2013, 09:58 AM   #2433
Shade-010
Sonic Crew # 010

Very well put, I'm glad ya installed new bearings

sent from some beach :)
Old 07-09-2013, 10:39 AM   #2434
dyn085
That Guy

Quote:
Very well put, I'm glad ya installed new bearings

I told everyone that I was going to a few pages back and even showed the pictures. I wouldn't reuse the ones I knew were bad.

September '13 ROTM
2014 FiST-
Old 07-09-2013, 08:03 PM   #2435
Arco-Zakus
Focus Addict

Fan#: 101658
What I Drive: 2014 SGM SE Sport Pkg Sedan 5sp-man

FF Reputation: 9 Arco-Zakus Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Dedication to the cause

Quote:
... This is why I did my replacement one piece at a time instead of throwing all of my parts in at once-to differentiate exactly what made my clunk disappear. I did it specifically to help out this thread or else I would have replaced everything at once and been done with it. Instead, my suspension came out or apart four different times. ...
Thank you for the extra work you did for our benefit and the recommendation for how to resolve the problem.

Do you know whether the problems you have listed are any less likely to occur in cars built after a certain date? (If I had to choose between a really good price for a 2013 or pay more for a 2014, this could affect my decision.)
Old 07-09-2013, 08:24 PM   #2436
dyn085
That Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arco-Zakus View Post
Thank you for the extra work you did for our benefit and the recommendation for how to resolve the problem.

Do you know whether the problems you have listed are any less likely to occur in cars built after a certain date? (If I had to choose between a really good price for a 2013 or pay more for a 2014, this could affect my decision.)
Honestly, I really wish I knew an answer to this. While there are definitely fewer '13's than '12's (complaining about this specific issue in here at least), I don't know of an actual date or even timeframe. I would honestly think that the '14 would be the safer bet, but money speaks quite loudly...

September '13 ROTM
2014 FiST-
Old 07-09-2013, 08:32 PM   #2437
Shade-010
Sonic Crew # 010

Quote:
Honestly, I really wish I knew an answer to this. While there are definitely fewer '13's than '12's (complaining about this specific issue in here at least), I don't know of an actual date or even timeframe. I would honestly think that the '14 would be the safer bet, but money speaks quite loudly...
With my current setup, no clunk yet but ill give it a 1000 miles

Old 07-29-2013, 11:17 AM   #2438
Shade-010
Sonic Crew # 010

Quote:
With my current setup, no clunk yet but ill give it a 1000 miles

So far over 1000 miles and still no clunk (knock on wood) ill keep tabs and if it comes back will let ya all know
Old 07-29-2013, 12:10 PM   #2439
gtncpa
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 86143
What I Drive: 2012 Black Titanium Hatch

FF Reputation: 2 gtncpa Good Standing Member
My clunk came back this weekend .... ugh
Old 07-29-2013, 12:45 PM   #2440
PratoN
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 88058
What I Drive: 2012 Kona Blue Ti Hatchback, DCT

FF Reputation: 10 PratoN Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtncpa View Post
My clunk came back this weekend .... ugh
Ugh. If it makes you feel any better, this weekend I realized I have to replace the driven gear seal on my parents' Ford Escape. It's a $15 seal, but I have to do this to get to it:

http://www.escape-city.com/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=565

So I guess I know what I'm doing this September...

EDIT: I don't actually know why that would make you feel any better...

Bookmarks & Social Networks