2012 Titanium Front Strut Low Speed Noise (Clunk/Rattle) - Page 217 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive

MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive The place to chat about TSB and Known Issues for the 2012 Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 03-20-2013, 11:04 PM   #2161
KeithLM
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 83553
What I Drive: 2012 Sonic Blue Titanium 5-door

FF Reputation: 1 KeithLM Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Finally noticed this noise in my car this past weekend. I had my parents in town and was driving them around with the radio off and kept noticing the clunk. I remembered this thread and so I looked it up. I'm guessing I have the problem Dysan found a fix for as I'm not hearing the sound when I'm alone in the car. I have an appointment at the dealership tomorrow, so I'll let them know about this solution if they don't already.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-21-2013, 01:41 PM   #2162
FordService
Official Ford Rep

Fan#: 79824
What I Drive: Ford Focus

FF Reputation: 18 FordService Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by KeithLM View Post
Finally noticed this noise in my car this past weekend. I had my parents in town and was driving them around with the radio off and kept noticing the clunk. I remembered this thread and so I looked it up. I'm guessing I have the problem Dysan found a fix for as I'm not hearing the sound when I'm alone in the car. I have an appointment at the dealership tomorrow, so I'll let them know about this solution if they don't already.
Let us know how the visit goes, KeithLM. I'm also happy to step in and see how I can assist; send me a PM with your details (VIN, dealer, mileage, daytime phone number, and full name) and I'll get to work.

Crystal

p: 800.392.FORD
t: @FordService @FordFocus @Ford
f: facebook.com/FordFocus facebook.com/Ford
Old 03-21-2013, 09:55 PM   #2163
KeithLM
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 83553
What I Drive: 2012 Sonic Blue Titanium 5-door

FF Reputation: 1 KeithLM Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by FordCustomerService View Post
Let us know how the visit goes, KeithLM. I'm also happy to step in and see how I can assist; send me a PM with your details (VIN, dealer, mileage, daytime phone number, and full name) and I'll get to work.

Crystal
They say they need to order some new parts so I have to take it back next week. While I'm skeptical, they were able to hear the noise when we test drove the car, so hopefully when the new parts come they'll fix it or realize something else was the problem all along. If there are any issues after that, I'll let you know. Thanks.
Old 03-22-2013, 07:24 AM   #2164
OPsDad
Focus Addict

Fan#: 108661
What I Drive: 2014 Fusion Titanium AWD Moonroof

FF Reputation: 2 OPsDad Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
I was reading on a thread last night and Dysan said his noise was coming back. So evidently, his method has to be repeated every 6-8 weeks?
SR #265 | "Quia currus certatus, inferius"
13 Focus Ti Sedan w/Handling Pkg, MFT Sony 10 NAV, Leather
13 Focus SE HB Sterling Grey, 201A, Leather
06 F350 6.0L DRW King Ranch, Sunroof, Rhino Bed Liner, 4" MBRP Turbo Back, AirRaid, Edge Chip w/Pyro
Old 03-22-2013, 09:02 AM   #2165
Dysan911
Focus Addict

Fan#: 95746
What I Drive: 2012 White, Focus Titanium

FF Reputation: 2 Dysan911 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by OPsDad View Post
I was reading on a thread last night and Dysan said his noise was coming back. So evidently, his method has to be repeated every 6-8 weeks?
Absolutely NOT!. I don't know where you read that but there has been ZERO noise since the one fix.
Old 03-22-2013, 09:11 AM   #2166
RedoFromStart
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 98701
What I Drive: 2012 White Ford Focus SE

FF Reputation: 1 RedoFromStart Good Standing Member
More Update:
-------------

The noise was isolated to a specific part on both sides of the car on Wednesday using chassis ears. The Technician explained to me everything he did step by step and why he reached the conclusion he reached and his explanation makes perfect sense. To avoid having people who read this thread start jumping to conclusions, I'm not going to post which part is being replaced until after it is confirmed this afternoon that it resolves the issue.

...and now some Jeopardy music...
Old 03-22-2013, 09:17 AM   #2167
Dysan911
Focus Addict

Fan#: 95746
What I Drive: 2012 White, Focus Titanium

FF Reputation: 2 Dysan911 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedoFromStart View Post
More Update:
-------------

The noise was isolated to a specific part on both sides of the car on Wednesday using chassis ears. The Technician explained to me everything he did step by step and why he reached the conclusion he reached and his explanation makes perfect sense. To avoid having people who read this thread start jumping to conclusions, I'm not going to post which part is being replaced until after it is confirmed this afternoon that it resolves the issue.

...and now some Jeopardy music...
If I had to guess the part, I'd probably say the Strut bearings.

Keep in mind a lot of us have been down this road once or twice. I had my entire Front suspension replaced and thought that fixed my issue until 6 mos later and the same noise came back. I was told by my dealership that they can't do anything further until Ford found a fix so basically to and chill. I lodged a complaint with Ford and was told that engineers were looking into the issue and would come up with a fix eventually.

Thats when I went to find my own fix which to this day is still absolutely SILENT!.

I hope in your case the parts they replace resolve your issue and at the very least they accidentally get a little Uh Oh Grease in the bump stop so you won't have to be disappointed 6 mos later.
Old 03-22-2013, 10:18 AM   #2168
RedoFromStart
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dysan911 View Post
If I had to guess the part, I'd probably say the Strut bearings.
I only left the headbanger in there because it's amusing.

It's actually not the strut bearings. There is no noise coming from the struts or mounts at all.
Old 03-22-2013, 10:18 AM   #2169
PratoN
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 88058
What I Drive: 2012 Kona Blue Ti Hatchback, DCT

FF Reputation: 10 PratoN Great Standing Member
How squeaky/creaky are these cars supposed to be in the winter? Is my car supposed to be silent - even when I drive it in the morning after a night of 10*F?

Because when I turn I get some creaks, but the roads are so crappy around here that I can't tell if it's cold clutch chatter from accelerating out of the turn or the suspension. But I'm pretty sure it's the suspension. Anyway - just wondering if a few creaks here and there in cold weather are normal or not.

Ugh, I should just buy a high-quality microphone so I can post these noises.
Old 03-22-2013, 10:23 AM   #2170
RedoFromStart
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by PratoN View Post
How squeaky/creaky are these cars supposed to be in the winter? Is my car supposed to be silent - even when I drive it in the morning after a night of 10*F?
There will always be some creakiness in cold weather, but it should clear up once things underneath the hood warm up.

It really depends on the creak and how you interpret it. If your car's front end sounds like it's falling apart as mine does, then you might have the same problem I have. If there's just some mild creaks here and there, that's probably nothing to worry about as many of the little creaks/squeaks go away as it gets warmer/driven further. If there's no change regardless of the temperature, that's a different story.

Bookmarks & Social Networks