2012 Titanium Front Strut Low Speed Noise (Clunk/Rattle) - Page 214 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive

MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive The place to chat about TSB and Known Issues for the 2012 Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 03-10-2013, 12:40 PM   #2131
HornedFrog05
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 97892
What I Drive: 2013 Tuxedo Black ST2

FF Reputation: 6 HornedFrog05 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlazeFocus View Post
So, HornedFrog, what say you?

Fixed?
I haven't got it back yet, they were still working on the transmission. They seemed to think it was fixed though
HN#267 LS#108

TREAT YO SELF 2013
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-10-2013, 07:07 PM   #2132
RedoFromStart
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 98701
What I Drive: 2012 White Ford Focus SE

FF Reputation: 1 RedoFromStart Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
The bump stop trick didn't work for me, but it's possible I didn't get the grease up in there correctly and will have to try again at a later time. Perhaps I'll take the wheel off next time just to get a little more working room.
Old 03-10-2013, 08:38 PM   #2133
Uptcv1
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 88390
What I Drive: 2012 sonic blue SE sport DCT hatch

Points 2,485, Level 30
Points: 2,485, Level: 30 Points: 2,485, Level: 30 Points: 2,485, Level: 30
Level Up 24% Completed
Level up: 24% Level up: 24% Level up: 24%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 1 Uptcv1 Good Standing Member
Got car back from dealer. Focus restored back to original springs.
I specifically asked they remove the TSB springs and install new springs same lke those it had to begin with
**these TSB springs are softer** service mgr also made same observation he said original ones are really stiffer rate springs
Car now drives again like it used to - nice solid drive-
Asked dealer to also lube bump stops and they said they did (not sure to what extent they did) no noise from left side, right side has little noise but I will take the noise over a softer ride! Plus will try to do the Dysan method myself as well - Dysan TSB FTW
Old 03-10-2013, 10:54 PM   #2134
BlazeFocus
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 104991
What I Drive: _

FF Reputation: 2 BlazeFocus Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uptcv1 View Post
Dysan TSB FTW
Keep us posted on that left side if you don't mind...!
Old 03-11-2013, 11:49 AM   #2135
FordService
Official Ford Rep

Fan#: 79824
What I Drive: Ford Focus

Points 3,219, Level 35
Points: 3,219, Level: 35 Points: 3,219, Level: 35 Points: 3,219, Level: 35
Level Up 13% Completed
Level up: 13% Level up: 13% Level up: 13%
Forum Activity 22%
Activity: 22% Activity: 22% Activity: 22%
FF Reputation: 18 FordService Great Standing Member
Hi everyone,

If you have questions about a TSB, your dealership's service department will be the best place to go for information. Give them a call and they'll assist you.

Crystal

p: 800.392.FORD
t: @FordService @FordFocus @Ford
f: facebook.com/FordServiceUS facebook.com/FordFocus

M - F 11 a.m. - 8 p.m. ET | Send a PM? Pls allow 2 business days for reply
Old 03-11-2013, 08:34 PM   #2136
Lipshurt
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 92314
What I Drive: 2012 blue focus SE

Points 732, Level 14
Points: 732, Level: 14 Points: 732, Level: 14 Points: 732, Level: 14
Level Up 32% Completed
Level up: 32% Level up: 32% Level up: 32%
Forum Activity 0%
FF Reputation: 2 Lipshurt Good Standing Member
So on Mondays I get home from work early, and they last many weeks I have been pulling he wheel off and doing things like greasing my bump stops, and lining the bump stop with velcro, tapping on things, checking for loose things, rattles etc.

The grease I think did do a small amount of improvement, and the velcro did even more, but the sound still showed up when cold, but slightly different. Leading me to believe that the sound is related to something around the bump stop.

Today I noticed something I had not checked for earlier....
At the top of the tower, where the bump stop snaps in, the shaft of the shock was not centered in the circle that the rubber bump stop snaps into. It was actually almost touching the metal toward the front of the car. There was a good 3/8 or more space on the other side of the shaft (the "back"), but only about 1/16 on the front part of the circular ring which is just under the strut bearing. If the car suspension moved at all, the shaft would hit the ring that the bump stop snaps into. I could not really tell if that ring is made of metal, or hard plastic.

I fashioned another piece of velcro and threaded it though the bump stop and up into space where the parts were very close together. If they touch, now there will be velcro insulating them. I guess if the suspension has that much slop in it, the parts can shift around a bit so later the slop might make the shaft be centered in that ring differently, but we will see if that happens, or if this even does anything. At least it makes some sort of sense. My test ride showed a silent front end, but it always is silent for a while after being lifted off the wheels and set back down. Sometimes for a week. That adds to he frustration of course, but by now I don't get too bugged by it.

I will let ford give it another try this week when I go in for service, but I'm not expecting anything.

Another thing that I found odd is that the lug nuts are all slightly loose to the touch. Yo can wiggle them with your fingers about 1/16 inch. There is play in the lug nuts, but they are actually tight when you try to loosen then with he lug wrench. That must be something I don't know about, but our other cars are not like that at all. They are all tight. Every single lug nut on my focus is loose. Seems like that would rattle right there.....no?

Last edited by Lipshurt; 03-12-2013 at 11:15 AM.
Old 03-11-2013, 09:16 PM   #2137
jrn146
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 275
What I Drive: 2012 Candy Red SE 5 door 5 speed

Points 153, Level 3
Points: 153, Level: 3 Points: 153, Level: 3 Points: 153, Level: 3
Level Up 6% Completed
Level up: 6% Level up: 6% Level up: 6%
Forum Activity 0%
FF Reputation: 1 jrn146 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by FordCustomerService View Post
Hi everyone,

If you have questions about a TSB, your dealership's service department will be the best place to go for information. Give them a call and they'll assist you.

Crystal
Crystal, with all due respect, if you read this thread from the beginning you'll see that some dealers didn't even know about the first TSB until we gave them the number.
Old 03-12-2013, 12:33 AM   #2138
suss6052
Focus Addict

Fan#: 95752
What I Drive: 2013 Ford Focus ST2 Ingot Silver

Points 9,718, Level 66
Points: 9,718, Level: 66 Points: 9,718, Level: 66 Points: 9,718, Level: 66
Level Up 17% Completed
Level up: 17% Level up: 17% Level up: 17%
Forum Activity 23%
Activity: 23% Activity: 23% Activity: 23%
FF Reputation: 24 suss6052 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lipshurt View Post
Another thing that I found odd is that the lug nuts are all slightly loose to the touch. Yo can wiggle them with your fingers about 1/16 inch. There is play in the lug nuts, but they are actually tight when you try to loosen then with he lug wrench. That must be something I don't know about, but our other cars are not like that at all. They are all tight. Every single lug nut on my focus is loose. Seems like that would rattle right there.....no?
The lug nuts aren't loose, the semi decorative outer coating/ covering of the two piece lug nut can break and slip slightly while the nut is actually still firmly attached to the wheel stud. If the lug nuts were loose the wheel would have come off by now more than likely.

Its unlikely that the suspension clunk emanates from the lug nuts either
Old 03-12-2013, 08:39 PM   #2139
ImaPoser
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 109280
What I Drive: 2013 focus hb titanium in perf blue

FF Reputation: 1 ImaPoser Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlazeFocus View Post
Well, if I may. If you spend enough time on this site, in this thread - and the other clunk one - you will see a pattern of "no remedy" from Ford, you will see dancing and side-stepping and most importantly you will see a long period of time having passed by with no sweeping resolution. Now if a revised TSB suddenly addresses the issue, I say Bravo! Finally!
But seriously, does anyone expect that?

So look at the alternative. For less than what an extra large combo pizza at many a fine establishment will cost you, you can apply some common grease to an easily accessible part of the vehicle. OR, you can take that stand that Ford should fix this damned issue, on principal. I get the "stand on principal" part. I think it's important in most things in life - - but not here. Not on this issue. There's too many stories that have been built up. And this is hardly what I would call "wrenching" or complicated repair work..

Comes down to this; three simple choices;

One: You DIY at a known level of cost and time. Either it works or it doesn't. If it doesn't, either you need to try it a second time just to be sure or you have something else going on - unrelated - and off to the dealership you go anyhow. Process of elimination is your friend; especially when it costs twelve - fifteen bucks and less than an hour of your time. Look at what you paid for the vehicle vs this small investment of coin & time, on your personal schedule and what that really means - in aggregate.

The sense of accomplishment thing is only a sideline bonus ..

Two: You start engaging with a dealership straight off-the-bat, encountering many a scenario already covered in great detail, right here on this site by genuine & hard working consumers who took the time to share with the greater community all the dead ends. That translates into a significant amount of personal time dedicated, repeat visits to the dealership and almost certain frustration.
Is it worth it vs option One:?

Three: You simply put up with the noise and call it day.
Yep. After further reading, I think I'll go with option number 3. I've dealt with it in my work transit for three years, so I don't even notice it in the focus unless I am trying to hear it, and the wife always has the radio on and doesn't complain.
Sad that this isn't built to better standards than my turkish made pos work vehicle. But, I can see a dealer doing more harm than good in trying to fix it.
Old 03-12-2013, 09:37 PM   #2140
BlazeFocus
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 104991
What I Drive: _

FF Reputation: 2 BlazeFocus Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImaPoser View Post
...than my turkish made pos work vehicle.
Turkish work vehicle. What is it?

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.