2012 Titanium Front Strut Low Speed Noise (Clunk/Rattle) - Page 208 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive

MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive The place to chat about TSB and Known Issues for the 2012 Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 02-28-2013, 10:53 AM   #2071
HuskerFocus
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 100149
What I Drive: 2012, Ingot Silver, SEL Hatch

FF Reputation: 1 HuskerFocus Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by OPsDad View Post
I'm not sure, is this a problem ONLY with Titaniums? With or without Handling Package? I've read a lot of this thread, but there are over 2000 posts, so I can't be sure. Could it be fixed by changing the struts to aftermarket ones? Just curious.
It's been a problem on others as well. I have an SEL Hatch. Based on a Survey that was done earlier in the thread, it was limited (at least perceived) to certain production dates, and not limited to body style of trim level really. I recall SE, SEL and Titanium's all on that list/survey results.

Aftermarkets had been tried, by more than one, and a slew of other aftermarket and replacement parts. Didn't fix the issue.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-28-2013, 11:15 AM   #2072
HornedFrog05
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 97892
What I Drive: 2013 Tuxedo Black ST2

FF Reputation: 6 HornedFrog05 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlazeFocus View Post
Tools? The syringe is 3 odd bucks at Walmart. Grease will set you back less than the cost of a pair of replacement wiper blades. Other than that, the jack and the tool to take off your tire is provided with the car.

The expense is way less than a single tank of gas.
The time to perform the procedure is negligible.
Finding a place to DIY can't be that difficult.

Anyone that isn't serious about giving it a shot by simply doing it, and doing it thoroughly, isn't serious enough about trying to move beyond being upset
with the issue..

A reasonable dealership will go the grease route; Velcro they will pass on...no doubt about it. Application of grease to the top of the strut tower/bearing area has already been described on this site so it is safe to say that a reasonable dealership would try a bump-stop focused endeavor as an alternative. The key component in getting a service department to address the issue starts with them acknowledging the presence of the noise to begin with...that is biggest hurdle IMHO.
What it boils down to is that I don't think I should have to do any work on this car to repair something that should be covered under warranty and that is the result of either a poor design or a poorly manufactured material. It seems like it's only working for a few of those attempting the procedure anyway.

That being said, for the benefit of the group and those experiencing similar issues it seems like it would be beneficial for each of us having these issues to get the dealerships to test this method because then it's documented and easily accessible to the engineers at Ford. If a dealership is attempting a procedure that fixes the clunk then it seems like that might spark a chain of events that ultimately results in a TSB for those with this issue. It's great we have Ford "reps" trolling the forums but are they doing anything short of making phone calls to CSMs?
HN#267 LS#108

TREAT YO SELF 2013
Old 02-28-2013, 11:23 AM   #2073
Uptcv1
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 88390
What I Drive: 2012 sonic blue SE sport DCT hatch

FF Reputation: 1 Uptcv1 Good Standing Member
Im having dealer replace the TSB springs and install new set of springs from factory (not TSB parts)
Found the TSB springs softer than the original, they took away from the handling...
Also dealer will do the lube at the same time with install, they said they have heard of this technique before (although not for the focus) should I ask for a specific lube?

-also pls pls comment what you think on TSB springs if you had the TSB done, do you think car got just softer, lost bit of the solid handlng it had? If you had only one side applied hows the drive.. Does it pull on the TSB side vs the non-TSB side (say when you take off a red light..)
Thx!
Old 02-28-2013, 11:26 AM   #2074
HuskerFocus
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uptcv1 View Post
-also pls pls comment what you think on TSB springs if you had the TSB done, do you think car got just softer, lost bit of the solid handlng it had? If you had only side applied hows the drive.. Does it pull on the TSB side vs the non-TSB side (say when you take off a red light..)
Thx!
I had the driver side TSB done ... a while ago now, and I haven't noticed any pull or distinct loss in handling. Still drives straight as an arrow, which is amazing with all the pot holes around here anyways.
Old 02-28-2013, 11:32 AM   #2075
Uptcv1
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by HuskerFocus View Post
I had the driver side TSB done ... a while ago now, and I haven't noticed any pull or distinct loss in handling. Still drives straight as an arrow, which is amazing with all the pot holes around here anyways.
I definitely noticed a bit softer ride.. Going over same roads/potholes you could tell.. - maybe version makes a difference mine was with the SE sprt suspension...
Old 02-28-2013, 11:43 AM   #2076
HuskerFocus
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uptcv1 View Post
I definitely noticed a bit softer ride.. Going over same roads/potholes you could tell.. - maybe version makes a difference mine was with the SE sprt suspension...
I'll look at my dealer report from when it was done. If anyone knows off the top of their head, was the TSB part # different than the stock part #?
Old 02-28-2013, 11:56 AM   #2077
BlazeFocus
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 104991
What I Drive: _

FF Reputation: 2 BlazeFocus Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by HornedFrog05 View Post
What it boils down to is that I don't think I should have to do any work on this car to repair something that should be covered under warranty and that is the result of either a poor design or a poorly manufactured material. It seems like it's only working for a few of those attempting the procedure anyway.
Can't argue with who should do it. If you stand on principal that Ford should address it, then wandering the blog-o-sphere on it won't achieve much other than creating a never-ending bully pulpit of consternation. Go work it with the dealership and enjoy the time spent. I have faith some dealerships are more reasonable than others. I get the point about it being a "Ford thing" to fix. No argument there. But the task is so damned simple, most people on this forum have spent way more time & personal energy going circles around it than the time it takes to simply hunker down & do it. You have to choose your battles in life. Again, for me, this was a no-brainer to attempt on my own. If it didn't work, I would have simply moved on to other avenues.

As far as the "statistical" proof against the fix, one must not assume that anyone that has said "..didn't work for me.." did it right to begin with. Heck, some folks tried using thinner Lithium grease.
Not surprised that didn't work TBH. As simple as the procedure sounds, if you don't hit the contact point with (enough) grease to isolate the interference and deaden the bump-stop, does that make it an invalid solution? Don't think so..
And let's not forget that a good percentage of people complaining about "a noise" are in fact dealing with something completely unrelated.

This stuff isn't rocket science folks - hell - I did it!

And in review of your original posting, I had responded to, and now with this one - it would appear you are simply moving the goal posts and making little excuses;
Apartment living; no tools; will I get laughed off the dealership property; not my issue; the fix is not working for everyone and it boils down to this...type stuff.
Sorry, can't help with those types of moving target issues.

Last edited by BlazeFocus; 02-28-2013 at 02:10 PM.
Old 02-28-2013, 12:04 PM   #2078
Uptcv1
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by HuskerFocus View Post
I'll look at my dealer report from when it was done. If anyone knows off the top of their head, was the TSB part # different than the stock part #?
Yes different part #s -spring parts:
TSB: BV6Z-5310
Non: BV61-5310
Old 02-28-2013, 01:40 PM   #2079
FordService
Official Ford Rep

Fan#: 79824
What I Drive: Ford Focus

FF Reputation: 18 FordService Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by HornedFrog05 View Post
...It's great we have Ford "reps" trolling the forums but are they doing anything short of making phone calls to CSMs?
Hi HornedFrog05,

I assist people by escalating their cases, getting their concerns documented, and making sure their information is in the right hands. I can also document feedback about your service experience. If I can't find an answer for a question you have, I can get you pointed in the right direction. If you need my assistance, reach out to me via PM and I'll see what I can do to help!

Crystal

p: 800.392.FORD
t: @FordService @FordFocus @Ford
f: facebook.com/FordServiceUS facebook.com/FordFocus

M - F 11 a.m. - 8 p.m. ET | Send a PM? Pls allow 2 business days for reply
Old 02-28-2013, 02:20 PM   #2080
HornedFrog05
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 97892
What I Drive: 2013 Tuxedo Black ST2

FF Reputation: 6 HornedFrog05 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlazeFocus View Post
Can't argue with who should do it. If you stand on principal that Ford should address it, then wandering the blog-o-sphere on it won't achieve much other than creating a never-ending bully pulpit of consternation. Go work it with the dealership and enjoy the time spent. I have faith some dealerships are more reasonable than others. I get the point about it being a "Ford thing" to fix. No argument there. But the task is so damned simple, most people on this forum have spent way more time & personal energy going circles around it than the time it takes to simply hunker down & do it. You have to choose your battles in life. Again, for me, this was a no-brainer to attempt on my own. If it didn't work, I would have simply moved on to other avenues.

As far as the "statistical" proof against the fix, one must not assume that anyone that has said "..didn't work for me.." did it right to begin with. Heck, some folks tried using thinner Lithium grease.
Not surprised that didn't work TBH. As simple as the procedure sounds, if you don't hit the contact point with (enough) grease to isolate the interference and deaden the bump-stop, does that make it an invalid solution? Don't think so..
And let's not forget that a good percentage of people complaining about "a noise" are in fact dealing with something completely unrelated.

This stuff isn't rocket science folks - hell - I did it!

And in review of your original posting, that I had responded to, and now with this one - it would appear you are simply moving the goal posts and making little excuses;
Apartment living; no tools; will I get laughed off the dealership property; not my issue; the fix is not working for everyone and it boils down to this...type stuff.
Sorry, can't help with those types of moving target issues.
Trust me, I have better things to do than troll the blog-o-sphere and talking down to me and my issues and assuming that I've done nothing but type behind a keyboard is a little "dickish" (I'll just put IMHO and it's cool right?) My vehicle has been in the shop 10+ times and spent over 30 days total out of my possession in an attempt to fix this issue and others, so please don't assume you know me and my specific situation.

There are many reasons (I think you'd rather call them "excuses") as to why I don't want to do this particular fix myself, none of which I have to justify to you but you definitely glossed over my overall point that until we see that one of the Ford reps is actually relaying potential fixes to the Ford Engineers then it seems like it would be in the best interest of the group to begin taking our vehicles in and requesting the dealerships attempt this procedure so that we can get some sort of nationwide (or global for all our members in Canada and elsewhere) documentation of what is working and not working on certain vehicles. Of course this all requires a responsible dealership that acknowledges the problem and is willing to help. I happen to be fortunate enough to deal with a great dealership and I feel for anybody out there dealing with service departments turning you away.

By the way, using your own logic: To say that the people who performed the task with no success is a result of the fact that they A:) must not have done it right B:) Clearly don't have the same issues uses the same assumptions that you said flawed my reasoning.
HN#267 LS#108

TREAT YO SELF 2013

Bookmarks & Social Networks
-->