2012 Titanium Front Strut Low Speed Noise (Clunk/Rattle) - Page 203 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive

MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive The place to chat about TSB and Known Issues for the 2012 Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 02-11-2013, 10:23 AM   #2021
Dysan911
Focus Addict

Fan#: 95746
What I Drive: 2012 White, Focus Titanium

FF Reputation: 2 Dysan911 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shantheman2012 View Post
Mine has always been a dull clunk...and as i have described it...it sounds like something has some play...a loose tie-rod or a strut assembly or CV joint with some slop in it. It's always been at low speeds hitting expansion joints, manhole covers, or broken choppy pavement. Never anything when turning the steering wheel.

I wonder if i put enough grease up inside the jounce stop thingie that it got into the top of the strut where the clunking might have been coming from? Who knows. I'll keep everyone updated.

You described mine exactly and I can tell you that the first time I did this grease fix. I did not put near enough to make it up into the top of the strut. Yet the little I did get in the bump stop completely solved the issue for me. Once I knew the fix I went back a week later with that Syringe thing from walmart and put a good uniform amount of grease on both sides and continue to have no further issues with a clunking noise.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-11-2013, 12:19 PM   #2022
Lipshurt
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 92314
What I Drive: 2012 blue focus SE

FF Reputation: 2 Lipshurt Good Standing Member
OK....
so do you put the grease INSIDE the rubber bump stop? like between the shiny metal shaft and the rubber donut/dog toy shaped thingy that i believe top be the "Bump stop"...?

there is a fair amount of play between the rubber piece and the shiny shaft, or at least its not a super tight fit. it slide up and down pretty easy. when its clipped into the top mount its pretty secure. Mine took a fair amount of pressure to pull it out and pop it back into place.

I put the grease all around the top of the bump stop where it clips into the upper part, but i avoided getting it on the shiny shaft or inside the rubber piece.
I thought maybe grease should not be on the shaft so it could not contaminate the seal in the shock absorber. I also put some grease around the outside of the rubber bump stop in case the dust boot was maybe knocking against it.

My rubber bump stop is very securely fastened to the top mount, and the dust boot is also secured pretty tight at the top and bottom. I could not see where any noise might be coming from, but if its between the inside of the bump stop and the shiny shaft that would make some sense that you can't make it happen when you are sitting there.
Tell me i did it wrong so i can have a glimmer of hope:)
Old 02-11-2013, 12:29 PM   #2023
Dysan911
Focus Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lipshurt View Post
OK....
so do you put the grease INSIDE the rubber bump stop? like between the shiny metal shaft and the rubber donut/dog toy shaped thingy that i believe top be the "Bump stop"...?

there is a fair amount of play between the rubber piece and the shiny shaft, or at least its not a super tight fit. it slide up and down pretty easy. when its clipped into the top mount its pretty secure. Mine took a fair amount of pressure to pull it out and pop it back into place.

I put the grease all around the top of the bump stop where it clips into the upper part, but i avoided getting it on the shiny shaft or inside the rubber piece.
I thought maybe grease should not be on the shaft so it could not contaminate the seal in the shock absorber. I also put some grease around the outside of the rubber bump stop in case the dust boot was maybe knocking against it.

My rubber bump stop is very securely fastened to the top mount, and the dust boot is also secured pretty tight at the top and bottom. I could not see where any noise might be coming from, but if its between the inside of the bump stop and the shiny shaft that would make some sense that you can't make it happen when you are sitting there.
Tell me i did it wrong so i can have a glimmer of hope:)
You did it wrong.. lol

The grease has to go up in the Kong Dog Toy. lol

Lower the black dust boot by wiggling it and give it a twist left or right and it will pop loose. It's just a little snap in place deal anway and can be snapped back into place when your done.

Inject the tip of the grease syringe up into the bump stop from the bottom. Where you see the silver strut shaft meets the bumpstop. Once you put some in just give that Bump stop a couple turns and it will distribute the grease evenly all around in there.
Old 02-11-2013, 12:43 PM   #2024
Dysan911
Focus Addict

FWIW, in case anyone might be a little uncertain of the area to inject the grease.

Here's a Pic. Obviously not our strut but a pic I found that has a good enough example of the bump stop and where to grease it.
If you slip a small screw driver and pry back the soft Bump Stop material. It makes it easier to get the Grease Syringe in further.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Old 02-11-2013, 02:32 PM   #2025
Lipshurt
Focus Enthusiast

Thank you:)
Ill do both sides this afternoon

Crossing all the fingers on both hands!
Old 02-11-2013, 03:03 PM   #2026
Bogey
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 104241
What I Drive: 2012, Ingot Silver SE

FF Reputation: 1 Bogey Good Standing Member
What about the rattle issue does this fix it as well?
Old 02-11-2013, 07:14 PM   #2027
Lipshurt
Focus Enthusiast

I just did both sides. It seems a bit iffy intellectually to me becuase I can't make the rubber piece make a noise similar the "sound". You never know though cuz chassis sounds are mysterious, hence the fact that no dealer wants to get involved with them.

I notice that the side that was by far the loudest also had the dust cover not completely attached all the way around at the top. I noticed that too when I took the wheel off last week. The dust cover was bent in the middle. A close look showed that there are three or four point around the top where the dust cover attaches to the mount. It was fairly hard to get it back on with all the points attached. That design looks weak too me like it won't last, but at least right now its good and secure at the top. The dust cover did make sound if I jiggled it, and the sound came from right at the top, right where my microphone pointed to being the source of the sound. So at least that makes sense as a possible fix.

Greasing the rubber piece...I don't know...I could not make that piece make any significant sound, so in my mind its iffy.

I did take it for a spin just now, and its silent even on the worst spots. Of course it usually is better right after coming down from being lifted. (That's weird too)

It was only 59 degrees and the car had a couple hours to cool off before the drive, so that is encouraging.

Thanks dysan for the pictures:) I did it pretty much just like you said. I crammed a lot of grease between the rubber and the shaft. I did clean the bottom half of the shaft with a towel. I used synthetic green grease from autozone.
Old 02-11-2013, 07:20 PM   #2028
Dysan911
Focus Addict

Keep the faith Lip!. ;) I know it's certainly hard to be hopeful when you've done so many other things and nothing has worked before. Let us know after some more test drives if you get the sound to come back.

Keeping my fingers crossed for ya bro that it won't. ..
Old 02-14-2013, 11:07 AM   #2029
Lipshurt
Focus Enthusiast

Well I do still hear the sound a bit, but its way way less often. That is usually what happens just from being on a lift, and letting the springs fully extend for a while. I still did not get a syringe and shoot a bunch of grease up there, so today im got to get the actual syringe and try again. I'll rob ably get a grease gun and make a tip for it.
It's been about three days and its def better than before.
Old 02-14-2013, 02:47 PM   #2030
Lipshurt
Focus Enthusiast

I can basically confirm that the grease did not fix my sound. It's back doing it. I injected grease into the bump stop and filled it up good. Then drove around. Still occasionally making the sound.
Mine is a pretty loud sound, and comes and goes to some extent, but always hoes away after the engine compartment gets warm. If its cold, driving will not warm things as much as driving for a bit and then letting the car sit still for a while as the engine heats the things around it.
I can also make the sound happen by lugging the engine wit he clutch. When he engine lungs, the sound happens in sync with the shakes of the engine. So something attached to the engine/drive train directly.
Or not:) that would not explain why it does it over the smallest bumps going slow, especially bumps that are actually dips and not bumps.

I have today and tomorrow off, so I plan on poking around in there and finding sources of sound. I'm still suspicious of the hood prop rod, and the manual shift linkage, as well as the play in the drive train half shafts. All of those things actually make the sounds like the sound I hear. The rubber bump stop simply did not make any sound like the sound I am trying eliminate.

Bookmarks & Social Networks