2012 Titanium Front Strut Low Speed Noise (Clunk/Rattle) - Page 202 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive

MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive The place to chat about TSB and Known Issues for the 2012 Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 02-09-2013, 08:41 AM   #2011
Dysan911
Focus Addict

Fan#: 95746
What I Drive: 2012 White, Focus Titanium

FF Reputation: 2 Dysan911 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shantheman2012 View Post
Dysan...i did the grease thing tonite exactly as you did (syringe and all) and took it out for a bit. I didn't have any clunks that i could hear...but i will say...my car has been *better* (not silent) since the weather has turned cold. So...i'll see how the silence lasts over the next few weeks. But if this was really the fix...you got my vote for president!
Awesome!. Try taking it over road conditions that you know for a fact could always produce the noise. The more people we have verify this fix the better. So far so good.

@HornedFrog - I went to autozone and it was a Ford Motor Vehicle brand of grease. They also had a synthetic mobil 1 but since I wasn't sure if this would even work the first time I just with with the cheaper FMV brand. When it comes to greasing these bump stops.. I believe you can use either one with no problem.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-09-2013, 05:34 PM   #2012
Lipshurt
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 92314
What I Drive: 2012 blue focus SE

FF Reputation: 2 Lipshurt Good Standing Member
Hmmmm
I just did mine. It's was rattling and clunking when I pulled into my driveway. It's 61 degrees, and I only had driven a few minutes. Just going to autozone and back to look for synthetic grease.

Did the job, according to dysan's directions, and took it for a spin. No sound from the side that I worked on which is the drivers side. Occasionally I would hear a little bit of the same sound from the passengers side, but minimal. The passenger side is still doing it and now that the drivers side is silent its a bit more noticeable on the passengers side. I'll probably do that side next week if the drivers side stays quiet.

Just to muck up the water a bit, I did insulate the mass dampener with a piece of Velcro. I know it blows the troubleshooting/diagnostic system to do two things at a time, but it was staring right at me, and the pieces were about about .030 inches apart, ripe for a rattle or clunk. I could move the dampener around a bit but could not really get the pieces to touch so it was probably not that.

Crossing my fingers:)
Old 02-09-2013, 09:44 PM   #2013
Dysan911
Focus Addict

Lip,

Glad to hear its looking good for the one side. So far so good. Definitely keep us posted on your progress with it and if you do the other side and what your results turn out to be.

I looked at my mass dampener as well but felt it was pretty secure and didn't seem to make any noise so I didn't do much with it.
Old 02-10-2013, 08:54 AM   #2014
kam327
-----<M>-----

Fan#: 94700
What I Drive: '14 Ruby Ti w/ Handling Pkg

FF Reputation: 11 kam327 Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by HornedFrog05 View Post
I'm sorry if I missed it, but what kind of grease did you use?

Also, I tried to trade in my Focus after the dealership told me they'd work with me to try and get me out of it and happy (although I was weary of a Ford)... they offered $16,800. I almost spit my soda out in their faces. Going import next time
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlazeFocus View Post
The Focus is not known to retain value;
Here's one reference:

3-year resale value: 63%, 5-year: 45%
Funny how MSN considers this "stellar" resale value.

http://editorial.autos.msn.com/12-be...ue-cars-2012#2

Expect that 63% to hit immediately after departing the show-room floor/dealership, when purchased new.
Maybe it's "stellar" because it remains constant for 3 years..
Not sure if you guys missed that Kiplingers rated the Focus highest resale value in class. According to them you'd do even worse at trade in with a Corolla, Civic, etc. Go here to debate further if you want so as not to hijack this thread:

http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=307859
Old 02-10-2013, 11:00 AM   #2015
BlazeFocus
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 104991
What I Drive: _

FF Reputation: 2 BlazeFocus Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by kam327 View Post
Not sure if you guys missed that Kiplingers rated the Focus highest resale value in class. According to them you'd do even worse at trade in with a Corolla, Civic, etc. Go here to debate further if you want so as not to hijack this thread:

http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=307859
There's plenty of examples of folks only being offered "wholesale" on their Focus trade-in so I'll skip the fancy graphs and TL;DR thread citation.
I also find it kind of funny that Oakland California was chosen as some kind of regional representation. Now that was funny.

This thread is managed quite well thank you; you can go back to that referenced thread and pat yourself on the back ... over there.
Old 02-10-2013, 08:46 PM   #2016
Shantheman2012
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 98655
What I Drive: 2012 Ingot Silver Ti Sedan

FF Reputation: 2 Shantheman2012 Good Standing Member
So...it was warmer today...almost 60. Drove around for a good hour...on roads that would have certainly caused the clunking. The verdict: Silence. I'm holding my breath still...but i'm getting a little optimistic here.
Old 02-10-2013, 11:13 PM   #2017
Lipshurt
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 92314
What I Drive: 2012 blue focus SE

FF Reputation: 2 Lipshurt Good Standing Member
Well, the grease thing pretty much did nothing on mine.

Mine has a loud sound that can either a snap or clunk or rattle.

The sound was happening today the same as usual when it was around 60 degrees. Of course it goes away when everything gets warmed up.

The only things I have found that make the exact sound on my car are the hood prop stick, and the shift mechanism below the battery. It's for sure not the hod prop rod. Not way to insulate the shift thing that I have figured out. That might it, but no way to fix it prob.
Old 02-10-2013, 11:29 PM   #2018
Shantheman2012
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lipshurt View Post

The sound was happening today the same as usual when it was around 60 degrees. Of course it goes away when everything gets warmed up.

The only things I have found that make the exact sound on my car are the hood prop stick, and the shift mechanism below the battery. It's for sure not the hod prop rod. Not way to insulate the shift thing that I have figured out. That might it, but no way to fix it prob.
That makes me wonder if we all have same issue going on here. I've heard several say theirs gets better with warmer weather...others (like me) say the cold weather makes it better. Seems it would be one or the other.
Old 02-11-2013, 06:35 AM   #2019
Dysan911
Focus Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lipshurt View Post

Ahh and It was starting to sound hopeful in your case when you did the one side. Did Ford ever replace anything on your car and if so did it ever resolve the issue, even temporarily?

I believe Rev also said his noise wasn't the Balloon sound like mine either and more metallic, so sounds like we definitely have more than one source of noise here. Ugh.
Old 02-11-2013, 09:50 AM   #2020
Shantheman2012
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dysan911 View Post
Ahh and It was starting to sound hopeful in your case when you did the one side. Did Ford ever replace anything on your car and if so did it ever resolve the issue, even temporarily?

I believe Rev also said his noise wasn't the Balloon sound like mine either and more metallic, so sounds like we definitely have more than one source of noise here. Ugh.
Mine has always been a dull clunk...and as i have described it...it sounds like something has some play...a loose tie-rod or a strut assembly or CV joint with some slop in it. It's always been at low speeds hitting expansion joints, manhole covers, or broken choppy pavement. Never anything when turning the steering wheel.

I wonder if i put enough grease up inside the jounce stop thingie that it got into the top of the strut where the clunking might have been coming from? Who knows. I'll keep everyone updated.

Bookmarks & Social Networks