2012 Titanium Front Strut Low Speed Noise (Clunk/Rattle) - Page 201 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive

MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive The place to chat about TSB and Known Issues for the 2012 Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 02-08-2013, 01:16 PM   #2001
Dysan911
Focus Addict

Fan#: 95746
What I Drive: 2012 White, Focus Titanium

FF Reputation: 2 Dysan911 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlazeFocus View Post
So Dysan, is it safe to say that an amount equivalent to that of a consistent full-bead-ring of grease (syringe delivered and worked in) around the bottom opening of the bump stop will do the trick? Or did you pack more than that?
Blaze,

The first time I did this trick. I didnt' have that syringe. I just took a little with a flat head screw driver and did the best I could to cram it into the bump stop (Think of how you clean a knife off back into the jar after spreading peanut butter) :) and work it all around. (the trick to working it thoroughly around is just to spin the bump stop. It will turn pretty easily and it works great at distributing the grease in a more uniform way.).

The best way with the Syringe though is to fill it about 3/4 or half (doubt you'll get that much in there). Pry back a section of the boot with a small screw driver and slide that syringe up in there as far up as you can (Use the plastic tubing that comes with it). Give the plunger a push until you see grease come back out the bottom and then rotate the boot a few times to spread it around good and your done.

Hope that helps!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-08-2013, 01:25 PM   #2002
Zillon
Focus Addict

Fan#: 17393
What I Drive: '13 GTI

FF Reputation: 27 Zillon Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dysan911 View Post

@Zillion - Do you recall when you greased your bump stop if it was more specifically the outside of it or if you definitely made sure to get some up in the center where it rides in contact with the strut shaft? That's where I focused putting that heavy grease.

I can certainly see where using a thinner grease like lithium would essentially be utilizing a fix on borrowed time. The grease I'm using is some pretty durable stuff and man, just a little seems to go a long way. You can take a tiny bit on your finger and probably smear it around between your fingers for quite a while before it even comes anywhere close to drying up or rubbing away. Using that MixMizer auto syringe I posted earlier, I got quite a bit of grease up in the bump stop and then when I rotated it all the way around, lets just say it's well lubricated that I don't think it's ever going to make another sound for years to come. I also cleaned up any grease that got on the strut shaft below the bump stop so that should prevent any from hurting the strut.
I lubed where the bump stop sits in the strut bearing, around the shaft, and even put some on the outside where the boot might contact the bumpstop.

Probably wasn't heavy enough grease.
Old 02-08-2013, 01:32 PM   #2003
BlazeFocus
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 104991
What I Drive: _

FF Reputation: 2 BlazeFocus Good Standing Member
Thanks!

Quote:
Blaze,

The first time I did this trick. I didnt' have that syringe. I just took a little with a flat head screw driver and did the best I could to cram it into the bump stop (Think of how you clean a knife off back into the jar after spreading peanut butter) :) and work it all around. (the trick to working it thoroughly around is just to spin the bump stop. It will turn pretty easily and it works great at distributing the grease in a more uniform way.).

The best way with the Syringe though is to fill it about 3/4 or half (doubt you'll get that much in there). Pry back a section of the boot with a small screw driver and slide that syringe up in there as far up as you can (Use the plastic tubing that comes with it). Give the plunger a push until you see grease come back out the bottom and then rotate the boot a few times to spread it around good and your done.

Hope that helps!
Old 02-08-2013, 03:12 PM   #2004
HornedFrog05
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 97892
What I Drive: 2013 Tuxedo Black ST2

FF Reputation: 6 HornedFrog05 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Quote:
The grease I'm using is some pretty durable stuff and man, just a little seems to go a long way.
I'm sorry if I missed it, but what kind of grease did you use?

Also, I tried to trade in my Focus after the dealership told me they'd work with me to try and get me out of it and happy (although I was weary of a Ford)... they offered $16,800. I almost spit my soda out in their faces. Going import next time
Old 02-08-2013, 04:25 PM   #2005
PratoN
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 88058
What I Drive: 2012 Kona Blue Ti Hatchback, DCT

FF Reputation: 10 PratoN Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by HornedFrog05 View Post
they offered $16,800. I almost spit my soda out in their faces. Going import next time
From some of the other people on here, it sounds like they gave you a really good offer.
Old 02-08-2013, 04:41 PM   #2006
BlazeFocus
Focus Enthusiast

The Focus is not known to retain value;
Here's one reference:

3-year resale value: 63%, 5-year: 45%
Funny how MSN considers this "stellar" resale value.

http://editorial.autos.msn.com/12-be...ue-cars-2012#2

Expect that 63% to hit immediately after departing the show-room floor/dealership, when purchased new.
Maybe it's "stellar" because it remains constant for 3 years..
Old 02-08-2013, 04:56 PM   #2007
HornedFrog05
Focus Fanatic

Quote:
The Focus is not known to retain value;
Here's one reference:

3-year resale value: 63%, 5-year: 45%
Funny how MSN considers this "stellar" resale value.

http://editorial.autos.msn.com/12-be...ue-cars-2012#2

Expect that 63% to hit immediately after departing the show-room floor/dealership, when purchased new.
Maybe it's "stellar" because it remains constant for 3 years..
Just seems a little fishy considering that dealerships in the area have almost identical cars on their lot (with less options) priced in upwards of $22,000 with similar miles. I know they're in the game to make money, but given my situation and the fact that I'm losing a ton of money (and willing to in order to break free from FORD) trying to unload the bastard it seemed like a smack in the face.

The problem is that I took out a long-term loan with a great APR thinking this was going to be a car I kept until it died (which I hoped was in the 200K+ mileage range) and with no early payment penalty it seemed like a win/win.....

However, I don't think this car will make it to 60,000 miles at the rate I'm at. It's been in the shop more times than all my previous cars combined (that's 5 cars) and Ford won't give me the extended warranty they promised until it leaves the shop fixed and with no issues (this hasn't happened yet). Moral of that story is to never buy a first year remodel.

In the shop 8 times since 1,604 miles. What a POS this is.
Old 02-08-2013, 05:24 PM   #2008
BlazeFocus
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by HornedFrog05 View Post
Just seems a little fishy considering that dealerships in the area have almost identical cars on their lot (with less options) priced in upwards of $22,000 with similar miles. I know they're in the game to make money, but given my situation and the fact that I'm losing a ton of money (and willing to in order to break free from FORD) trying to unload the bastard it seemed like a smack in the face.

The problem is that I took out a long-term loan with a great APR thinking this was going to be a car I kept until it died (which I hoped was in the 200K+ mileage range) and with no early payment penalty it seemed like a win/win.....

However, I don't think this car will make it to 60,000 miles at the rate I'm at. It's been in the shop more times than all my previous cars combined (that's 5 cars) and Ford won't give me the extended warranty they promised until it leaves the shop fixed and with no issues (this hasn't happened yet). Moral of that story is to never buy a first year remodel.

In the shop 8 times since 1,604 miles. What a POS this is.
6k mark-up on a used car is asinine; but that said, it's a starting point and trust me, they are letting them go for less than that - unless the buyer is a knucklehead.

Sorry to hear about your Ford-stration. I was hopeful on this vehicle too;
having owned VW's for quite some time. That wasn't pleasant either. No more German cars for me. I think S. Korea and Japan are still the best bets quality wise... It's a shame to have to think import but I look at it this way - - these global companies are building more and more cars right here in the States, employing American workers - - so all the power to Hyundai, Kia, Honda, etc etc..
Old 02-08-2013, 05:34 PM   #2009
HornedFrog05
Focus Fanatic

Quote:
Sorry to hear about your Ford-stration.
That's great, this should definitely be in the dictionary.

I should have known that Ford's resale values were plummeting, they had a used 2013 Ford Taurus Limited on their lot for $23,898. This car was sold for $37,000 less than a year ago! And according to its CARFAX, had been on the lot since November. YIKES!

You're right about the Asian cars, I've owned both a Honda and a Toyota and each time I sold them I was shocked at the amounts. Heck, I traded in my Toyota for the Focus and actually made money! Lesson learned just a crappy way to go out.
Old 02-08-2013, 09:01 PM   #2010
Shantheman2012
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 98655
What I Drive: Fmr: 2012 Ti Sedan Now: '13 Taurus

FF Reputation: 2 Shantheman2012 Good Standing Member
Dysan...i did the grease thing tonite exactly as you did (syringe and all) and took it out for a bit. I didn't have any clunks that i could hear...but i will say...my car has been *better* (not silent) since the weather has turned cold. So...i'll see how the silence lasts over the next few weeks. But if this was really the fix...you got my vote for president!

Bookmarks & Social Networks
-->