2012 Titanium Front Strut Low Speed Noise (Clunk/Rattle) - Page 200 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive

MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive The place to chat about TSB and Known Issues for the 2012 Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 02-08-2013, 10:03 AM   #1991
Zillon
Focus Addict

Fan#: 17393
What I Drive: '13 GTI

FF Reputation: 27 Zillon Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Incredible.

Can't believe this is the solution, even after I had liberally greased my own bumpstops and still had issues. Maybe I just needed heavier bearing grease instead of the lighter lithium grease.

One thing I'd suggest, guys, is be careful with just slopping a ton of grease into the dust boot; you could end up with premature strut failure if too much petroleum-based grease comes into contact with the strut seals. Try to keep the grease around the top of the bump-stop where it comes into contact with the strut bearing if possible; it will slide down the shock shaft if you pull downwards. Aside from that, nice work.

I'm not totally kicking myself over this, though; I do love my GTI.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-08-2013, 10:04 AM   #1992
FordService
Official Ford Rep

Fan#: 79824
What I Drive: Ford Focus

FF Reputation: 18 FordService Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Han.MK3 View Post
Mine is still clunk free as of today...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dysan911 View Post
Im am still completely clunk free. I had my car loaded down with some friends from work yesterday and they're not little guys either. Not a single sound from the front end at all no matter what the road conditions were...
Han.MK3 & Dysan911,

Hereís just another reason why this community rocks ; thanks for the updates.

Cory

p: 800.392.FORD
t: @FordService @FordFocus @Ford
f: facebook.com/FordFocus facebook.com/Ford
Old 02-08-2013, 10:23 AM   #1993
BlazeFocus
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 104991
What I Drive: _

FF Reputation: 2 BlazeFocus Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by FordCustomerService View Post
Han.MK3 & Dysan911,

Here’s just another reason why this community rocks ; thanks for the updates.

Cory
It will only truly "rock" if your management finally acknowledges this as a workable solution to many a Focus "noise problem" and definitively release a service bulletin in support of it. No?

If Ford doesn't affirm it then it is destined to become a black-eye scenario..
Old 02-08-2013, 10:41 AM   #1994
dyn085
That Guy

Fan#: 98047
What I Drive: 2014 FiST/FoST

FF Reputation: 46 dyn085 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zillon View Post
Incredible.

Can't believe this is the solution, even after I had liberally greased my own bumpstops and still had issues. Maybe I just needed heavier bearing grease instead of the lighter lithium grease.

One thing I'd suggest, guys, is be careful with just slopping a ton of grease into the dust boot; you could end up with premature strut failure if too much petroleum-based grease comes into contact with the strut seals. Try to keep the grease around the top of the bump-stop where it comes into contact with the strut bearing if possible; it will slide down the shock shaft if you pull downwards. Aside from that, nice work.

I'm not totally kicking myself over this, though; I do love my GTI.
I'm going to give this a try this weekend and see what results I get. I don't understand why this could be a solution considering both of us would have aftermarket bump-stops, but if it works I don't really care.

I do recall hearing some say that this reduced or eliminated the clunk, but they returned later to say that it returned. Honestly, even if I have to incorporate out into every oil change, I will continue to do it to maintain my sanity with this car if it works...

FocusFest 2013: Best of Show
Gateway FFW: Show Class Outstanding
September '13 ROTM
2014 FiST-
Old 02-08-2013, 10:55 AM   #1995
theshrewz
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 103228
What I Drive: 2012 Silver Se Focus

FF Reputation: 2 theshrewz Good Standing Member
If someone does this soon can they post picutres
Old 02-08-2013, 12:34 PM   #1996
Shantheman2012
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 98655
What I Drive: 2012 Ingot Silver Ti Sedan

FF Reputation: 2 Shantheman2012 Good Standing Member
Dysan...one thing I'm curious about...
I watched the video where you squeezed the bump stop and it made that sound like rubbing a balloon (like someone else said)...
That sound is def not a 'clunking'.
Are you saying inside the car it sounded like clunking tho? Like a loose tie rod type of clunking?
Old 02-08-2013, 12:54 PM   #1997
FordService
Official Ford Rep

Fan#: 79824
What I Drive: Ford Focus

FF Reputation: 18 FordService Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlazeFocus View Post
It will only truly "rock" if your management finally acknowledges this as a workable solution to many a Focus "noise problem" and definitively release a service bulletin in support of it. No?...
Iím told thereís a process that needs to be followed, BlazeFocus.

Cory

p: 800.392.FORD
t: @FordService @FordFocus @Ford
f: facebook.com/FordFocus facebook.com/Ford
Old 02-08-2013, 01:05 PM   #1998
Dysan911
Focus Addict

Fan#: 95746
What I Drive: 2012 White, Focus Titanium

FF Reputation: 2 Dysan911 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shantheman2012 View Post
Dysan...one thing I'm curious about...
I watched the video where you squeezed the bump stop and it made that sound like rubbing a balloon (like someone else said)...
That sound is def not a 'clunking'.
Are you saying inside the car it sounded like clunking tho? Like a loose tie rod type of clunking?
Exactly!. I believe that balloon sound when emitted inside the dust cover (black accordion piece) amplifies the sound into a duller noise of some sort. To be honest it was just dumb luck I even looked at the bump stop because my clunking noise seemed more like a loose bushing. Either way, this fixed the clunking noise completely.

@Zillion - Do you recall when you greased your bump stop if it was more specifically the outside of it or if you definitely made sure to get some up in the center where it rides in contact with the strut shaft? That's where I focused putting that heavy grease.

I can certainly see where using a thinner grease like lithium would essentially be utilizing a fix on borrowed time. The grease I'm using is some pretty durable stuff and man, just a little seems to go a long way. You can take a tiny bit on your finger and probably smear it around between your fingers for quite a while before it even comes anywhere close to drying up or rubbing away. Using that MixMizer auto syringe I posted earlier, I got quite a bit of grease up in the bump stop and then when I rotated it all the way around, lets just say it's well lubricated that I don't think it's ever going to make another sound for years to come. I also cleaned up any grease that got on the strut shaft below the bump stop so that should prevent any from hurting the strut.
Old 02-08-2013, 01:05 PM   #1999
BlazeFocus
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by FordCustomerService View Post
I’m told...
Most successful companies/corporations, that empower their employees to be effective, shy away from directing them (the employees) to use words like "I'm told".
Why? Because it undermines credibility and fosters brand destruction.

With all due respect, all that anyone is asking for in this community is forthright,
conclusive action items by Ford...not receptionist smiles...and not the proverbial (and never ending I might add...) "one moment please...".
Old 02-08-2013, 01:10 PM   #2000
BlazeFocus
Focus Enthusiast

So Dysan, is it safe to say that an amount equivalent to that of a consistent full-bead-ring of grease (syringe delivered and worked in) around the bottom opening of the bump stop will do the trick? Or did you pack more than that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dysan911 View Post
Exactly!. I believe that balloon sound when emitted inside the dust cover (black accordion piece) amplifies the sound into a duller noise of some sort. To be honest it was just dumb luck I even looked at the bump stop because my clunking noise seemed more like a loose bushing. Either way, this fixed the clunking noise completely.

@Zillion - Do you recall when you greased your bump stop if it was more specifically the outside of it or if you definitely made sure to get some up in the center where it rides in contact with the strut shaft? That's where I focused putting that heavy grease.

I can certainly see where using a thinner grease like lithium would essentially be utilizing a fix on borrowed time. The grease I'm using is some pretty durable stuff and man, just a little seems to go a long way. You can take a tiny bit on your finger and probably smear it around between your fingers for quite a while before it even comes anywhere close to drying up or rubbing away. Using that MixMizer auto syringe I posted earlier, I got quite a bit of grease up in the bump stop and then when I rotated it all the way around, lets just say it's well lubricated that I don't think it's ever going to make another sound for years to come. I also cleaned up any grease that got on the strut shaft below the bump stop so that should prevent any from hurting the strut.

Bookmarks & Social Networks