2012 Titanium Front Strut Low Speed Noise (Clunk/Rattle) - Page 196 - Focus Fanatics
Focus Fanatics Ford Focus Forums
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Model Specific Discussions > MK3 Focus > MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive

MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive The place to chat about TSB and Known Issues for the 2012 Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 01-27-2013, 09:22 PM   #1951
thejordan
Focus Addict

Fan#: 107706
What I Drive: 2013 SGM Focus 5 Speed

FF Reputation: 3 thejordan Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgmfocus View Post
i hope it lasts .the bumper stop usually doesn't do anything,except if you bottom out the car then it prevents it from hitting so hard, what do they have the top of the boot connected to?,looking at diagram it looks like top is fastened to bearing plate.
the dust boot usually just sits on top of the bump stop which is why it moves around.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-28-2013, 06:23 AM   #1952
Zillon
Focus Addict

Fan#: 17393
What I Drive: '13 GTI

FF Reputation: 27 Zillon Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Glad you found the source of your noise, but I'm not so sure that solution would've worked on mine.

When I was experimenting with my Focus, every time I performed any kind of strut bearing swap/strut swap, I lubricated my bumpstops and dust boots with a good coating of white lithium grease (paste, not spray), and the noise never went away.

The only times my noise went away or improved was when I replaced the strut bearing and mount with completely new parts, only to have it return in 500-1000 miles.

So, this may reinforce the possible issue that the clunk isn't the same for everyone.
Old 01-28-2013, 06:54 AM   #1953
Dysan911
Focus Addict

Fan#: 95746
What I Drive: 2012 White, Focus Titanium

FF Reputation: 2 Dysan911 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zillon View Post
Glad you found the source of your noise, but I'm not so sure that solution would've worked on mine.

When I was experimenting with my Focus, every time I performed any kind of strut bearing swap/strut swap, I lubricated my bump-stops and dust boots with a good coating of white lithium grease (paste, not spray), and the noise never went away.

The only times my noise went away or improved was when I replaced the strut bearing and mount with completely new parts, only to have it return in 500-1000 miles.

So, this may reinforce the possible issue that the clunk isn't the same for everyone.
Z,

I certainly don't doubt that at all!. Sucks we have to contend with the strong possibility that there's more than one source for these abnormal sounds under there.

I don't know if I ever read exactly, but was your sound anything close to the noise I was able to make in the video or more like Rev's being of a metallic type sound?

Whats really weird is I did not even touch the bump stop on the right side yet. I wonder why there's been no issue there since they replaced that side back in June.

One thing is for certain though, the noise I've heard (My Clunk) has always been consistent in the type of sound it made. Popping, binding, dull hollow tapping kind of sound on the firewall like a loose sway bar or bad bushing.

There's at least several places I can ALWAYS reproduce the noise anytime and so far so good now. I still cringe when I enter those areas because I'm scared the clunk is going to come right back but I just plow into it with determination that I need to keep testing this fix for me and so far it remains SILENT.

If the noise does come back, I at least now know where to look and would probably give serious consideration to digging that Styrofoam POS Bump stop completely out and just packing some more grease up in there and being done with it. I hope the heavier grease I'm using will last much longer than the time frame you experienced using the lithium though. Time will tell.

B.
Old 01-28-2013, 06:59 AM   #1954
Dysan911
Focus Addict

FWIW - This issue is apparently more common than I realized.

http://www.forteforums.com/forums/do...noise-fix.html

http://www.mazda3forums.com/showthread.php?t=367223

http://repairpal.com/bump-stop-in-st...e-on-turns-904
Old 01-28-2013, 07:29 AM   #1955
Zillon
Focus Addict

Fan#: 17393
What I Drive: '13 GTI

FF Reputation: 27 Zillon Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
By the way, I really don't advocate the complete removal of the bump stop. They're no longer simple suspension limiters, but integrated parts of the suspension that work with the struts and springs to maintain handling characteristics at the limit and keep you from punching through your hood with the strut shaft.

My noise was more of a hollow clunking that occurred when the suspension would oscillate rapidly, such as over curbs coming into driveways, recessed manhole covers, potholes, or rippled/washboard pavement coming up to a stoplight. It was semi-metallic in nature, sounding like two solid materials slapping together. It was like the three strut mount bolts attaching the strut to the strut tower were backed out a couple turns and you could shake the strut up and down. However, mine were always torqued to spec.

I did have creaking at one point, but I eliminated that when I replaced the strut mounts. I think I damaged the strut mount by over-torquing the center strut nut while everything was still mounted to the car. The creaking noise, I believe, was from me breaking the metal insert loose in the strut mount.

I don't think anyone can do any harm, though, by pulling down the dust boot and lubing the contact points of the bump stop with grease. Apply grease where the bumpstop sits in the strut bearing, where it sits on the strut shaft, and where it contacts the strut boot. Just be careful to not apply grease to the shaft below the bumpstop; contaminating the strut seals with foreign grease could result in deteriorating strut seals, which will leave you with prematurely blown out struts.
Old 01-28-2013, 08:43 AM   #1956
FordService
Official Ford Rep

Fan#: 79824
What I Drive: Ford Focus

FF Reputation: 18 FordService Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dysan911 View Post
...I still cringe when I enter those areas because I'm scared the clunk is going to come right back but I just plow into it with determination that I need to keep testing this fix for me and so far it remains SILENT...
Iím sure all your hard work is a huge help, Dysan911; please keep me in the loop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lipshurt View Post
That does sound like my sound...
Lipshurt,

I confirmed your escalation is still open; shoot me a PM if you want any details forwarded before youíre contacted next.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strix View Post
...It's a pity that my car had to be ruined...
Let me know via PM when you want to take yours in for diagnosis, Strix; Iíll be glad to arrange a follow-up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilsonfocus86 View Post
...They actually "fixed" my car with the whole suspension tsb blah blah, but of course the noise slowly came back...
wilsonfocus86,

I want to help with resolving your noise by sending the info to the customer service manager for your area. Please send me a PM with your VIN, approximate mileage, full name, phone number, and dealer details.

Cory

p: 800.392.FORD
t: @FordService @FordFocus @Ford
f: facebook.com/FordFocus facebook.com/Ford
Old 01-28-2013, 08:56 AM   #1957
PratoN
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 88058
What I Drive: 2012 Kona Blue Ti Hatchback, DCT

FF Reputation: 9 PratoN Good Standing Member
Quote:
FWIW - This issue is apparently more common than I realized.
Yeah, there was a TSB for (1st gen) Escapes with front end clunks that ended up being the boot/bump stop binding.
Old 01-28-2013, 08:56 AM   #1958
Dysan911
Focus Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zillon View Post
By the way, I really don't advocate the complete removal of the bump stop. They're no longer simple suspension limiters, but integrated parts of the suspension that work with the struts and springs to maintain handling characteristics at the limit and keep you from punching through your hood with the strut shaft.
Another thought I had would be to simply pop the bump stop out of where it's connected at the top. I did pull down on the bump stop a little and it appears to just snap into place. I thought I could pop it loose and let it slide down the strut shaft and just float. That way it can't really squeak against the top of the mount and still provide a bump stop if the strut were ever compressed to that degree. On a lowered car I can see how critical the bump stop would be but I think I'd have to jump a huge ditch to ever compress the strut to the point that the bump stop would do anything.
Also by looking at the material it's made of, I honestly doubt it could prevent any serious damage anyway.
Old 01-28-2013, 09:33 AM   #1959
sgmfocus
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 101095
What I Drive: 2012 sgm sedan se,sfe package

FF Reputation: 3 sgmfocus Good Standing Member
Quote:
Z,

I certainly don't doubt that at all!. Sucks we have to contend with the strong possibility that there's more than one source for these abnormal sounds under there.

I don't know if I ever read exactly, but was your sound anything close to the noise I was able to make in the video or more like Rev's being of a metallic type sound?

Whats really weird is I did not even touch the bump stop on the right side yet. I wonder why there's been no issue there since they replaced that side back in June.

One thing is for certain though, the noise I've heard (My Clunk) has always been consistent in the type of sound it made. Popping, binding, dull hollow tapping kind of sound on the firewall like a loose sway bar or bad bushing.

There's at least several places I can ALWAYS reproduce the noise anytime and so far so good now. I still cringe when I enter those areas because I'm scared the clunk is going to come right back but I just plow into it with determination that I need to keep testing this fix for me and so far it remains SILENT.

If the noise does come back, I at least now know where to look and would probably give serious consideration to digging that Styrofoam POS Bump stop completely out and just packing some more grease up in there and being done with it. I hope the heavier grease I'm using will last much longer than the time frame you experienced using the lithium though. Time will tell.

B.
that could be causing your noise was looking at fordparts diagrams for 2011 and 2012 for differences noticed they changed designs for the boot, bump stop and bushing in 2012 everthing else was basically the same.seems like a bad design being attached together to much movement,heat other possible problems. 2011 the boot wasnt attached to anything just sat on top of bump stop wasn't attached to bushing.evey strut i've ever worked on had the earlier design never any problems from that area
Old 01-28-2013, 07:05 PM   #1960
jsr72
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 97393
What I Drive: 2012 Focus SE

FF Reputation: 4 jsr72 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Another thought I had would be to simply pop the bump stop out of where it's connected at the top. I did pull down on the bump stop a little and it appears to just snap into place. I thought I could pop it loose and let it slide down the strut shaft and just float.
Bad idea in my opinion. It will just eventually get torn up contacting the edges of cup.

Quote:
On a lowered car I can see how critical the bump stop would be but I think I'd have to jump a huge ditch to ever compress the strut to the point that the bump stop would do anything. Also by looking at the material it's made of, I honestly doubt it could prevent any serious damage anyway.
They're all made out of microcellular polyurethane these days and that stuff can absorb a lot of energy. Small cars don't have much wheel travel. Bump stops come into play more often than you might think.

Bookmarks & Social Networks