2012 Titanium Front Strut Low Speed Noise (Clunk/Rattle) - Page 195 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive

MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive The place to chat about TSB and Known Issues for the 2012 Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 01-27-2013, 04:54 PM   #1941
wilsonfocus86
Focus Addict

Fan#: 23099
What I Drive: 14 Fusion 2.0

FF Reputation: 3 wilsonfocus86 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dysan911 View Post

This is the video that led me to check that area of the strut.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=se7pC9_LY3g

B.
HEY! That's my video haha! I made that going over the curb at the end of my parent's driveway when I was there over the summer. I'm glad that its led to helping out someone in some way, nice !!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-27-2013, 05:21 PM   #1942
revhigh
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 98516
What I Drive: 2012 Mazda 3 SkyActiv 6A Touring

FF Reputation: 1 revhigh Good Standing Member
Didn't sound like my noise at all ... as I've said before ... my noise had a MUCH quicker attack and decay, meaning the sound was sharper ... and far more metal on metal sounding.

Hope it works for you though !

Hard to believe Ford didn't find that if that's the problem with some cars.

REV
Old 01-27-2013, 05:58 PM   #1943
Lipshurt
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 92314
What I Drive: 2012 blue focus SE

FF Reputation: 2 Lipshurt Good Standing Member
That does sound like my sound.......did you have to raise the car off the wheels to get at it like that? Or remove the wheel?

Nice work:)
Old 01-27-2013, 06:18 PM   #1944
Dysan911
Focus Addict

Fan#: 95746
What I Drive: 2012 White, Focus Titanium

FF Reputation: 2 Dysan911 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by revhigh View Post
Didn't sound like my noise at all ... as I've said before ... my noise had a MUCH quicker attack and decay, meaning the sound was sharper ... and far more metal on metal sounding.

Hope it works for you though !

Hard to believe Ford didn't find that if that's the problem with some cars.

REV
Rev,

Ugh that sucks man. I was hoping this might have benefited you as well. I can't say that mine has ever sounded quite metallic. Just that hollow clunk sound similar to if you tap the brake pedal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilsonfocus86 View Post
HEY! That's my video haha! I made that going over the curb at the end of my parent's driveway when I was there over the summer. I'm glad that its led to helping out someone in some way, nice !!
Wilson, Awesome!. I have listened to your video a number of times. It was a big help!. Thank you for posting it..
Old 01-27-2013, 06:20 PM   #1945
Dysan911
Focus Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lipshurt View Post
That does sound like my sound.......did you have to raise the car off the wheels to get at it like that? Or remove the wheel?

Nice work:)
Lip,

I jacked the one side up. Approx with the tire off the ground by an inch or so and removed the wheel. That was it. You can then sit down and easily get to that piece.

Its' so weird now, because on the way home from dinner. I'm cringing on the areas that Im driving toward because I know from experience its going to thunk and clunk like crazy here and there but to hear NOTHING now is a such a feeling of relief that this can be fixed. The biggest part was finding the source.
Old 01-27-2013, 06:50 PM   #1946
sgmfocus
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 101095
What I Drive: 2012 sgm sedan se,sfe package

FF Reputation: 3 sgmfocus Good Standing Member
theres a couple posts on here where the strut bushing area has been greased ,noise went away temporarily, came back in a few weeks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistofoleez View Post
Ok.. It's been a long time since I posted here. We took the car to the dealer ship. They greased the front strut bushings and the sounds went away for about two weeks. It returned at the same exact rate and loudness as when I first bought it. Now that it's been a couple months the sound is back full and loud.
The sound is strut related. I know enough about automotive mechanics to to be fooled by other sounds and noises. Since the grease made the sound go away for a short time the issue is clearly a strut issue.
Will Ford or the stut manufacturer make right on this? That remains to bee seen.
Old 01-27-2013, 07:05 PM   #1947
Strix
Focus Addict

Fan#: 85696
What I Drive: Not a Ford

FF Reputation: 0 Strix Poor Behavior Needs Improvement
That's awesome that you found the source of your noise and were able to fix it. Congrats.

It's a pity that my car had to be ruined by an incompetent dealership (Hines Park Ford in New Hudson, Michigan) when they possibly could have fixed it with a bit of grease and a zip tie.

This just proves the old adage: "If you want something done right, do it yourself."
Old 01-27-2013, 07:41 PM   #1948
wilsonfocus86
Focus Addict

Fan#: 23099
What I Drive: 14 Fusion 2.0

FF Reputation: 3 wilsonfocus86 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strix View Post
That's awesome that you found the source of your noise and were able to fix it. Congrats.

It's a pity that my car had to be ruined by an incompetent dealership (Hines Park Ford in New Hudson, Michigan) when they possibly could have fixed it with a bit of grease and a zip tie.

This just proves the old adage: "If you want something done right, do it yourself."
Should have gone to Bill Brown Ford in Livonia, MI! They were all over it and willing to help. They actually "fixed" my car with the whole suspension tsb blah blah, but of course the noise slowly came back. At least it's not as bad as it was. But maybe I'll investigate Dysans method
Old 01-27-2013, 07:59 PM   #1949
Dysan911
Focus Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgmfocus View Post
theres a couple posts on here where the strut bushing area has been greased ,noise went away temporarily, came back in a few weeks.

Yep. I'm going to certainly give it a good week/month before I completely call the war won. I remember the post where the guy packed the bushing which was helpful in my looking into doing the same.. Where the other guy sprayed a bunch of white lithium grease I actually used axle grease (thicker). Hoping the grease will hold up longer. So far so good!

I really don't even see the need for this part anyway. I wonder if it could be completely eliminated without causing any harm to the struts or bearings.

Don't forget I also zipped tied the lower dust boot as well fwiw.
Old 01-27-2013, 08:20 PM   #1950
sgmfocus
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 101095
What I Drive: 2012 sgm sedan se,sfe package

FF Reputation: 3 sgmfocus Good Standing Member
i hope it lasts .the bumper stop usually doesn't do anything,except if you bottom out the car then it prevents it from hitting so hard, what do they have the top of the boot connected to?,looking at diagram it looks like top is fastened to bearing plate.

Bookmarks & Social Networks