2012 Titanium Front Strut Low Speed Noise (Clunk/Rattle) - Page 184 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive

MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive The place to chat about TSB and Known Issues for the 2012 Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 01-23-2013, 09:53 AM   #1831
revhigh
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 98516
What I Drive: 2012 Mazda 3 SkyActiv 6A Touring

FF Reputation: 1 revhigh Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Here's my take on it ... and it's why I got out when I did.

Ford knows what causes the issue.

The problem is .... it's either so deep into the car .... or so expensive to fix .... that they're willing to screw people in order not to fix it. They may fix it in a subsequent year's production, but they're NOT going to fix these current cars. They've done the math.

I'm guessing it's a unibody issue that can only be gotten to by disassembling almost the entire car ... front end .... engine and trans .... body parts .... and interior. Seriously .... does ANYTHING ELSE MAKE SENSE?

It's simply not believable that Ford can't isolate this problem after a year and a half.

Believe me ... THEY KNOW.

We've been hung out to dry ..... you best learn to live with a clunking and creaking car , because they're NEVER going to fix it.

As the previous post mentioned ..... if they wanted to find it and fix it .... they could do it in less than a week using the procedure above.

I won't live with a creaking and clunking car.

REV
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-23-2013, 09:57 AM   #1832
PratoN
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 88058
What I Drive: 2012 Kona Blue Ti Hatchback, DCT

FF Reputation: 10 PratoN Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by revhigh View Post
Here's my take on it ... and it's why I got out when I did.

Ford knows what causes the issue.

The problem is .... it's either so deep into the car .... or so expensive to fix .... that they're willing to screw people in order not to fix it. They may fix it in a subsequent year production, but they're NOT going to fix these current cars. They've done the math.

I'm guessing it's a unibody issue that can only be gotten to by disassembling almost the entire car ... front end .... engine and trans .... and interior.

It's simply not believable that Ford can't isolate this problem after a year and a half.

Believe me ... THEY KNOW.

You've been hung out to dry ..... you best learn to live with a clunking and creaking car , because they're NEVER going to fix it.

As the previous post mentioned ..... if they wanted to find it and fix it .... they could do it in less than a week using the procedure above.

I won't live with a creaking and clunking car.

REV
I think we need a moderator to close this thread.
Old 01-23-2013, 10:06 AM   #1833
revhigh
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 98516
What I Drive: 2012 Mazda 3 SkyActiv 6A Touring

FF Reputation: 1 revhigh Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by PratoN View Post
I think we need a moderator to close this thread.
Close it ... delete it ..... whatever.

My explanation is the only one that makes sense ...

REV
Old 01-23-2013, 10:22 AM   #1834
hand-filer
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 90895
What I Drive: One less Ford

FF Reputation: 1 hand-filer Good Standing Member
This thread should remain open for two reasons:
1) To keep everyone informed of any progress whether by Ford or by backyard engineers.
2) To remind everyone how Ford takes care of their customers.
Old 01-23-2013, 10:27 AM   #1835
dyn085
That Guy

Fan#: 98047
What I Drive: 2014 FiST/FoST

FF Reputation: 46 dyn085 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
Quote:
Close it ... delete it ..... whatever.

My explanation is the only one that makes sense ...

REV
In all honesty, I think I'm pretty much in your train of thought. It's too hard for me to believe that a problem this blatantly loud could go on for this long with no permanent fix.

In my opinion only, after following this thread for nearly the last year, I would have to imagine that either some tolerance is out or the actual geometry of the front end is incorrect. I don't understand why this wouldn't affect all cars, but I'm sure that the actual number of vehicles affected is pretty high seems how every local friend I have that owns one is experiencing the same problem.

Some number-cruncher has already determined that it it's cheaper to continue applying the TSB instead of issuing a recall, so that is what we have to live with and accept. Maybe that isn't the right verbiage, but I'm sure you understand what I mean.

I will be changing out my front end suspension to ST parts this year and then plan on replacing my upper bearings at least every 10k miles or sooner. Between that and listening to my music loud I'm sure that I can live with my car until I have equity in it...

FocusFest 2013: Best of Show
Gateway FFW: Show Class Outstanding
September '13 ROTM
2014 FiST-
Old 01-23-2013, 10:28 AM   #1836
Dysan911
Focus Addict

Fan#: 95746
What I Drive: 2012 White, Focus Titanium

FF Reputation: 2 Dysan911 Good Standing Member
I believe a LOT of other owners have the issue but just aren't quite keen on picking up on the fact that its not a normal sound. So they hear it when they're going over bumps and just assume thats normal, its the bumps not the car.

I tend to agree with Rev though, that by now Ford has seen a pattern occur with all the dealerships in the US. Even if a small percentage report the issue to their dealership that's gotta tally some pretty hefty trends you'd think to get their attention.

Still those even if this is a design issue. You'd think a dampener or some inexpensive remedy could be fabricated.

I haven't had my car a complete Year yet and already It's been in the shop 13 times.

I won't be living with a clunking POS either.
Old 01-23-2013, 10:30 AM   #1837
PratoN
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 88058
What I Drive: 2012 Kona Blue Ti Hatchback, DCT

FF Reputation: 10 PratoN Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by hand-filer View Post
This thread should remain open for two reasons:
1) To keep everyone informed of any progress whether by Ford or by backyard engineers.
I agree. I was joking about closing it... but maybe you knew that?
Old 01-23-2013, 10:53 AM   #1838
Bogey
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 104241
What I Drive: 2012, Ingot Silver SE

FF Reputation: 1 Bogey Good Standing Member
It seems like a longer process then we had thought. I love my focus and i will see this to fruition, im not going to jump ship on the vehicle, its sound. Just noisy.
Old 01-23-2013, 11:38 AM   #1839
Strix
Focus Addict

Fan#: 85696
What I Drive: Not a Ford

FF Reputation: 0 Strix Poor Behavior Needs Improvement
Quote:
Originally Posted by PratoN View Post
Yes. The customer service reps will tell you that it's important to them that your car is fixed... but they stop short of promising to do so.

They instead prefer to waste your time by having you take it to a dealership that's been instructed to tell you that your car is normal.

I've come to the conclusion that the only way my car is ever getting fixed is if I take it to an independent mechanic to verify the existence of my complaints, get as much documentation as I can, and then file a lawsuit against the dealership who ruined my car (and Ford Customer Service for conspiring with them to dismiss my concerns).
Old 01-23-2013, 11:43 AM   #1840
Strix
Focus Addict

Fan#: 85696
What I Drive: Not a Ford

FF Reputation: 0 Strix Poor Behavior Needs Improvement
Quote:
We've been hung out to dry ..... you best learn to live with a clunking and creaking car , because they're NEVER going to fix it.
Yep. They also will never fix any problems caused by their dealerships' service departments.

Bookmarks & Social Networks