2012 Titanium Front Strut Low Speed Noise (Clunk/Rattle) - Page 179 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive

MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive The place to chat about TSB and Known Issues for the 2012 Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 01-15-2013, 08:08 PM   #1781
Dysan911
Focus Addict

Fan#: 95746
What I Drive: 2012 White, Focus Titanium

FF Reputation: 2 Dysan911 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
I got a call back today and they said the issue was confirmed by the tech on the noise and they will be ordering the same parts they used to fix the right side. Should be a day or two to get the parts in and same day fix they said. I have to say my right side does seem to be holding up with no noise. Its just the left side now so I'm hoping this resolves this final gremlin in my Focus once and for all.

I really believe the sound seems to be coming directly from the center strut tower bolt that we can't see because the brace is covering it. Or... The strut failed internally and when the car has weight in it from a passenger and you load the suspension (coming to a stop) over rough road it causes the internal piston to rattle around in there and because it's directly bolted to the shock tower, it transmits that horrible sound like an amplifer to the interior of the car.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-15-2013, 09:51 PM   #1782
BlazeFocus
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 104991
What I Drive: _

FF Reputation: 2 BlazeFocus Good Standing Member
I sincerely wish you the best of luck on this; this is the first report (unless I missed something) where someone said a repair (your right side) has proven out for a while.

The other good news here is that an important precedent has been set;
There actually is a dealership that confirms and takes action
on the problem claim. Interesting...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dysan911 View Post
I got a call back today and they said the issue was confirmed by the tech on the noise and they will be ordering the same parts they used to fix the right side. Should be a day or two to get the parts in and same day fix they said. I have to say my right side does seem to be holding up with no noise. Its just the left side now so I'm hoping this resolves this final gremlin in my Focus once and for all.

I really believe the sound seems to be coming directly from the center strut tower bolt that we can't see because the brace is covering it. Or... The strut failed internally and when the car has weight in it from a passenger and you load the suspension (coming to a stop) over rough road it causes the internal piston to rattle around in there and because it's directly bolted to the shock tower, it transmits that horrible sound like an amplifer to the interior of the car.
Old 01-16-2013, 06:51 AM   #1783
Dysan911
Focus Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlazeFocus View Post
I sincerely wish you the best of luck on this; this is the first report (unless I missed something) where someone said a repair (your right side) has proven out for a while.

The other good news here is that an important precedent has been set;
There actually is a dealership that confirms and takes action
on the problem claim. Interesting...
Thanks!. I certainly hope too that my hearing is not mistaken and the noise is truly from the left side this time. I'm pretty certain it is. When I pull into my drive way Is a right turn and I always pull slow as my right tire contacts the curb.. Once that wheel is on the driveway I straighten up and prepare for the left side to clear the curb and NO MATTER how slow I take it. When the suspension compresses for hitting that curb (as soft as I go over it). you get a very distinct metallic clunk always.

When I spoke to the Service rep yesterday about having the repair done last time on the right side she said yeah Ford only authorizes us to repair just the effected side. I wonder truly how many people have had the same experience as me and assumed the noise was fixed, only to have it return later and not realize its just the other side or that they didn't replace both sides. I know a few have already said they know for a fact both sides were repaired and it still came back.
Old 01-16-2013, 07:06 AM   #1784
teamDFL
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 92060
What I Drive: 2001 ZX3, 2012 SE Sport Hatchback

FF Reputation: 6 teamDFL Good Standing Member
Has anyone with this noise put on aftermarket shocks or coilovers and had it disappear? Occam's Razor kind of test.
Rally Revolution #21
Old 01-16-2013, 07:21 AM   #1785
Dysan911
Focus Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by teamDFL View Post
Has anyone with this noise put on aftermarket shocks or coilovers and had it disappear? Occam's Razor kind of test.
im pretty sure someone here put on coilovers and resolved their issue. Aftermarket springs didn't help though. but yeah coilovers certainly did albeit pretty expensive.
Old 01-16-2013, 07:25 AM   #1786
Zillon
Focus Addict

Fan#: 17393
What I Drive: '13 GTI

FF Reputation: 27 Zillon Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Quote:
I replaced shocks, only to have the noise return.

I wish one of the aftermarket companies would hurry up and release a specific damper application for this car already; it's been over 2 years, and Koni nor Bilstein have anything out for this car in the states.
Old 01-16-2013, 07:32 AM   #1787
teamDFL
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 92060
What I Drive: 2001 ZX3, 2012 SE Sport Hatchback

FF Reputation: 6 teamDFL Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zillon View Post
I replaced shocks, only to have the noise return.

I wish one of the aftermarket companies would hurry up and release a specific damper application for this car already; it's been over 2 years, and Koni nor Bilstein have anything out for this car in the states.
I am assuming that they are factory shocks, so my guess is that won't solve the problem.

My car will get Bilsteins ASAP. I'd rather have a clunky front suspension (that AFAIK ultimately means nothing other than a disconcerting noise) than a Koni that will spew its oil out and stop working after a year or two.
Rally Revolution #21
Old 01-16-2013, 07:44 AM   #1788
bfitz
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 107719
What I Drive: 2013 Silver SE Hatch

FF Reputation: 1 bfitz Good Standing Member
Bilstein lists struts on their US site. Perhaps they're almost available? I inquired at TireRack but haven't heard back.
Old 01-16-2013, 07:54 AM   #1789
dyn085
That Guy

Fan#: 98047
What I Drive: 2014 FiST/FoST

FF Reputation: 49 dyn085 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
Quote:
I am assuming that they are factory shocks, so my guess is that won't solve the problem.

My car will get Bilsteins ASAP. I'd rather have a clunky front suspension (that AFAIK ultimately means nothing other than a disconcerting noise) than a Koni that will spew its oil out and stop working after a year or two.
He replaced his front end with ST struts and upper mounts, new bearings, Eibach Pro-Kit springs, new strut mount attaching bolts, and even the shimmed strut tower brace...
2014 FiST-
Old 01-16-2013, 08:40 AM   #1790
Zillon
Focus Addict

Fan#: 17393
What I Drive: '13 GTI

FF Reputation: 27 Zillon Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Quote:

I only mentioned Koni because I had been contacting their R&D department on a regular basis to find out the ETA on the sport damper for the Mk3 Foci. I had been doing the same for Bilstein, up until the day I traded in the Focus.

That was another factor in my decision to jump ship. My GTI will probably be getting a set of Bilstein B8 (sport) dampers. Still waiting on all my tax forms to come in, though.

Bookmarks & Social Networks
-->