2012 Titanium Front Strut Low Speed Noise (Clunk/Rattle) - Page 175 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive

MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive The place to chat about TSB and Known Issues for the 2012 Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 01-04-2013, 07:32 PM   #1741
Strix
Focus Addict

Fan#: 85696
What I Drive: Not a Ford

FF Reputation: 0 Strix Poor Behavior Needs Improvement
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zillon View Post
Well, for starters, it's clunk free.
I bet it doesn't vibrate like a rickety heap of crap, either.

I'm so jealous.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-04-2013, 08:11 PM   #1742
DougC
Focus Addict

Fan#: 86547
What I Drive: The biggest mistake I've ever made.

FF Reputation: 1 DougC Good Standing Member
My '12 SE Sport hatch is currently in the shop for a fourth round of front suspension "repairs". Parts "should" be in on Tuesday. Of course they still have to figure out my coolant leak and the hellish rattle in my dash. This car has been a total nightmare. Just should have kept my 99 Accord. In 13 years and 170,000 miles that car had one issue; the moon roof had to be replaced. On the other hand, my Focus has spent six weeks in the shop over just 17 months and 20,000 miles.

Last edited by DougC; 01-05-2013 at 02:12 AM.
Old 01-04-2013, 08:34 PM   #1743
Strix
Focus Addict

Fan#: 85696
What I Drive: Not a Ford

FF Reputation: 0 Strix Poor Behavior Needs Improvement
I know what you mean. Doug... I traded in an '02 Hyundai that had maybe 1/2 a dozen problems in its time. None of which were caused by the dealership and then denied by the manufacturer.

But I had to get rid of it... it was getting to be so rusty that I didn't feel safe in it anymore. It also looked like hell. But it rode like a dream compared to my post-TSB Focus!
Old 01-04-2013, 09:14 PM   #1744
BlazeFocus
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 104991
What I Drive: _

FF Reputation: 2 BlazeFocus Good Standing Member
I'm starting to get the distinct feeling that the whole, "Ford Quality" job number one thing is a complete myth...
Old 01-05-2013, 07:22 AM   #1745
Uptcv1
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 88390
What I Drive: 2012 sonic blue SE sport DCT hatch

FF Reputation: 1 Uptcv1 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlazeFocus View Post
I'm starting to get the distinct feeling that the whole, "Ford Quality" job number one thing is a complete myth...
agreed-

there is quality.. on the sticker "Build with pride"
Old 01-05-2013, 07:29 AM   #1746
Uptcv1
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 88390
What I Drive: 2012 sonic blue SE sport DCT hatch

FF Reputation: 1 Uptcv1 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by DougC View Post
... they still have to figure out my coolant leak...
coolant leak? some more info here, do you have another thread going on this -dont want to hijack this one- thanks
Old 01-05-2013, 01:49 PM   #1747
FordFocursing
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 98824
What I Drive: 2012 Ford Focus SEL Hatch

FF Reputation: 1 FordFocursing Good Standing Member
To Strix ... I'm at 20k miles and have the frictiony noise (aka marbles-in-a-metal-bucket aka ball-bearings) and massive stutter at take off. I thought most of these complaints were hogwash (or overly critical) until about 5k miles ago when my own symptoms developed.

This whole thing boils down to customer service. Even if the problem was build quality or engineering, seems to me most of us could swallow stuff (and would probably feel them flukes, never having sought out the larger brewing masses on these forums) if we'd individually been accommodated, even if only with a free extended warranty or similar acts of consolation.

I feel ultimate fault is with Ford Corp, but am still insulted that my dealership couldn't bother to muster feigned shock/ empathy in seeing a brand new vehicle come in repeatedly for a variety of serious problems. And, it couldn't have been old hat by then because I was an early adopter -- May 2011 build.

So after a month when the AC compressor failed, key FOB stopped working, perimeter alarm malfunctioned, etc I would've been one of the first problems they'd seen. That they shruged like it's commonplace tells me all I need(ed!) to know. Isn't that Customer Service 101 -- fake it 'til you make it?

I know folks on these forums have mentioned class action -- and I'm all for it -- but I understand it takes years to fruition. I've gotten so frustrated I've considered adding a shoe polish message to my rear window, saying something snotty like "Buy Ford, Get Burned", or the informative "That Wretched Griding Is My Transmission -- Thanks, Ford", or the understated, "I Don't Recommend Ford, Ask Me Why".

A form of shoe-polish-flash-mob!

Once dealerships start seeing more and more cars coming in with such embarassing signage , perhaps the dealers can put pressure up the chain?
Old 01-06-2013, 10:02 AM   #1748
Dysan911
Focus Addict

Fan#: 95746
What I Drive: 2012 White, Focus Titanium

FF Reputation: 2 Dysan911 Good Standing Member
25ft lbs on the strut tower bolts doesn't seem like very much. I have hand tightened all mine because I couldn't find where I did with my Torque wrench. Well I finally located it and thought I bet I'm not even at 25ft lbs so I went over each bolt and it clicked, indicating 25lbs had already been reached. So. my hand tightening must have exceeded that. WOW. No wonder they rattle. I tried to hand tighten the passenger side strut tower and the bolts would not even budge with all my weight pulling on it. That must have been done when it was in for the TSB.
Old 01-06-2013, 10:10 AM   #1749
Zillon
Focus Addict

Fan#: 17393
What I Drive: '13 GTI

FF Reputation: 27 Zillon Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dysan911 View Post
25ft lbs on the strut tower bolts doesn't seem like very much. I have hand tightened all mine because I couldn't find where I did with my Torque wrench. Well I finally located it and thought I bet I'm not even at 25ft lbs so I went over each bolt and it clicked, indicating 25lbs had already been reached. So. my hand tightening must have exceeded that. WOW. No wonder they rattle. I tried to hand tighten the passenger side strut tower and the bolts would not even budge with all my weight pulling on it. That must have been done when it was in for the TSB.
The torque spec is 25 ft-lbs because the grade 10.9 bolts used for securing the struts to the chassis can't handle more torque. I strongly warn against over tightening those books, because they will start to stretch, and could even fail, depending on how much torque you put into them.

Believe me, I know.
Old 01-07-2013, 10:52 AM   #1750
dyn085
That Guy

Fan#: 98047
What I Drive: 2014 FiST/FoST

FF Reputation: 47 dyn085 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dysan911 View Post
I'm sure that 25 ft lbs is plenty. Working in aviation, our torque values are measured in inch-pounds and you would be surprised to find out how much of an aircraft is put together with torque values that aren't that high. Also realize that the majority of the vehicles weight (sprung weight) is holding the strut tower firmly on the upper strut mount. The bolts are essentially there to keep it from sliding fore-and-aft or side-to-side.

Also, and not to slam ALL automotive mechanics, but a large majority doesn't use torque wrenches on tasks like this. It would be reserved for their ever-present impact gun... It wouldn't be a bad idea to pull one out and check for stretch.

If it's any consolation (which it obviously won't be), my clunk is so bad that I can actually reproduce it with the suspension unloaded by simply turning the wheels by hand side to side...

FocusFest 2013: Best of Show
Gateway FFW: Show Class Outstanding
September '13 ROTM
2014 FiST-

Bookmarks & Social Networks