2012 Titanium Front Strut Low Speed Noise (Clunk/Rattle) - Page 174 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive

MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive The place to chat about TSB and Known Issues for the 2012 Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 01-03-2013, 10:05 PM   #1731
BlazeFocus
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 104991
What I Drive: _

FF Reputation: 2 BlazeFocus Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Calipers float by design and the nature of this sound does have a distinct caliper character nature to it. It could very well be a seating issue.

What I do find interesting is the intermittent nature of the noise to be begin with. It doesn't do it all the time on my vehicle and temperature is becoming less and less of a contributing factor; I've noticed it now on some pretty cold mornings. The fact that the brakes are anti-lock and even more critical to "roll-back" functionality has me thinking this isn't a chassis structural issue what-so-ever but rather some variability in a functional part of the car; if it was structural it would be more hard and fast so-to-speak.

Obviously there is still that greater question if everyone complaining about this noise is actually experiencing the same thing...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-03-2013, 10:42 PM   #1732
Zillon
Focus Addict

Fan#: 17393
What I Drive: '13 GTI

FF Reputation: 27 Zillon Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlazeFocus View Post
Obviously there is still that greater question if everyone complaining about this noise is actually experiencing the same thing...
Precisely my thoughts.
Old 01-03-2013, 11:02 PM   #1733
BlazeFocus
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 104991
What I Drive: _

FF Reputation: 2 BlazeFocus Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zillon View Post
Precisely my thoughts.
Happy New Year Zillon;
let's hear some good stuff about that GTI Bro!
Old 01-03-2013, 11:59 PM   #1734
Zillon
Focus Addict

Fan#: 17393
What I Drive: '13 GTI

FF Reputation: 27 Zillon Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlazeFocus View Post
Happy New Year Zillon;
let's hear some good stuff about that GTI Bro!
Well, for starters, it's clunk free.

Just shy of 1,000 miles; installed a boost gauge tonight to help keep tabs on the engine/turbo. Did a couple WOT pulls to check peak boost; first time I've really planted my foot since I got it. It's fun, and fast.

Back on topic, though.
Old 01-04-2013, 01:20 AM   #1735
cwmehring
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 105016
What I Drive: 2012 Black Ford Focus Titanium

FF Reputation: 1 cwmehring Good Standing Member
Ti strut issue...

Has anyone gotten anywhere with Ford on this issue? My Ti is soy ding worse by the day.

Also, what other kind of issues are you having with your Ti? I saw someone had an issue with roll back when parked. Is that common? Mine rolled back a good 6" it feels like when I turn the car off on slope. Also my Ti seems to perform worse in cold weather (like below 45 degrees).
Old 01-04-2013, 11:01 AM   #1736
dyn085
That Guy

Fan#: 98047
What I Drive: 2014 FiST/FoST

FF Reputation: 46 dyn085 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwmehring View Post
Has anyone gotten anywhere with Ford on this issue? My Ti is soy ding worse by the day.

Also, what other kind of issues are you having with your Ti? I saw someone had an issue with roll back when parked. Is that common? Mine rolled back a good 6" it feels like when I turn the car off on slope. Also my Ti seems to perform worse in cold weather (like below 45 degrees).
The short answer is no, there has been no definitive resolution. If the upper strut mount bearings are replaced then the nose will quiet or stop for a period of time, but ultimately almost everyone that has experienced the TSB fix has had the sound return. If not, they haven't come back to report a complete fix.

As for other issues, there are some. There is a TSB out for the roll-back. Search the forum for any issues that you think you may have and you will probably find the respective thread(s) covering them

FocusFest 2013: Best of Show
Gateway FFW: Show Class Outstanding
September '13 ROTM
2014 FiST-
Old 01-04-2013, 01:40 PM   #1737
Dysan911
Focus Addict

Fan#: 95746
What I Drive: 2012 White, Focus Titanium

FF Reputation: 2 Dysan911 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by dyn085 View Post
The short answer is no, there has been no definitive resolution. If the upper strut mount bearings are replaced then the nose will quiet or stop for a period of time, but ultimately almost everyone that has experienced the TSB fix has had the sound return. If not, they haven't come back to report a complete fix.
or they traded the car in..
Old 01-04-2013, 01:56 PM   #1738
Uptcv1
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 88390
What I Drive: 2012 sonic blue SE sport DCT hatch

FF Reputation: 1 Uptcv1 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dysan911 View Post
I fear Z did actually find the solution...
Old 01-04-2013, 02:07 PM   #1739
dyn085
That Guy

Fan#: 98047
What I Drive: 2014 FiST/FoST

FF Reputation: 46 dyn085 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dysan911 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uptcv1 View Post
I fear Z did actually find the solution...
True story...

FocusFest 2013: Best of Show
Gateway FFW: Show Class Outstanding
September '13 ROTM
2014 FiST-
Old 01-04-2013, 07:21 PM   #1740
Strix
Focus Addict

Fan#: 85696
What I Drive: Not a Ford

FF Reputation: 0 Strix Poor Behavior Needs Improvement
I SO wish I would have just lived with my clunk.

I made the mistake of having Hines Park Ford in New Hudson, Michigan perform TSB 12-06-17 on Sept. 18th 2012.

When I picked the car up, I noticed that the mechanic didn't bother to bolt my windshield wipers back on correctly. The driver's side wiper was parked an inch or two higher than it should have been. This necessitated an immediate return trip to the dealership to have them fix this. As I left the dealership, I wondered about the quality of the rest of the work that was done on my car.

Sure enough, the clunk noise was only moderately improved, there were new noises when turning the steering wheel, and the car now had a nasty transient vibration to boot.

So I contacted the Ford customer service rep on this forum and detailed my concerns. I suspected that the TSB was performed incorrectly, or I had bad parts installed. I told them that it still clunks, but now it makes new noises and the front suspension vibrates like a tuning fork under certain conditions. I told them that I had doubts about the ability of the dealership to competently fix the problem. I asked that I be allowed to take it to another dealership and have Ford waive the extended warranty deductible. The car now has about 40,000 miles on it, so I'm potentially on the hook for $100 every time I take it in.

The customer service rep on the forum here opened a case and referred me to an agent at Ford's 'Customer Care' center. They wouldn't commit to allowing me to take the car to another dealership and instead convinced me to take it back to Hines Park Ford.

So I decided to focus on the repeatable noise from the new strut mounts, rather than the somewhat difficult to reproduce harmonic vibration from the new springs, which I merely mentioned. Most of my 'demo' time with the service writers was centered around the reproducible clicking at certain steering angles.

The response from Ford's hotline assistance center was 4 paragraphs of excuses. It said some noise was due to strut valving and is normal. It also suggested that the noise was being heard after the TSB because "the customer is already tuned into the area" and said "no repair attempt is recommended" if the noise "is not as loud as the original noise associated with the TSB".

With that, the service manager was able to dismiss my concerns. As for the vibration: "unable to duplicate customer concern at this time". Another dismissal of a problem that simply didn't exist prior to them doing TSB 12-6-17 on my car.

So I guess Ford thinks it's normal to get your car back from a dealership service appointment with problems it didn't have before.

Since then, I have called my customer service agent repeatedly. I have begged, pleaded, cursed, and ranted. I have explained that I would not have purchased the car if it performed like it does now when I test drove one. I have threatened to go to the media (like they'd care, hahah).

In all, I've probably called her 10 or more times asking only that Ford fix this vibration. I could live with the fact that it makes more noises than it did before and that Ford considers this normal. But this vibration is quite literally driving me insane.

I recently took the car to another dealership. The service manager himself said that he felt the shudder/vibration, but that he thinks it might be something with the transmission, because I was purposefully inducing the shudder by forcing a downshift.

I explained that the vibration will sometimes continue for as long as 10 seconds after the shift and sometimes occurs when no shifting has taken place (depends on road surface and grade, etc.). I stated that I feel it at all road speeds very mildly, and that it comes and goes slightly at freeway speeds.

He instructed me to bring the car back in a couple of days and that he would have a tech take a look at it. Two days later I brought the car in and was given a rental for the day. At the end of the day, I went to pick up the car and the work order said "could not verify customer complaint" and "concern is related to the shifting characteristics of a dry dual clutch powershift synchronized 6-speed transaxle".

So, after 45,000 miles, Ford thinks I'm just too stupid to understand how my car's transmission operates. Notice all the technical adjectives they use to suggest that I don't know that the transmission has two clutches and six speeds. And this for a problem not even related to the transmission. I was LIVID.

I called my customer service rep and told her that I was extremely insulted at this 'answer', and that I felt it was a complete blow-off of my concerns. I said that this is the second time Ford has done this to me, and that I regret buying this car. I said that this has been, hands down, the worst customer service experience of my life.

Nobody expects to get your car back from the dealership with annoying vibrations... but now I know to expect that if it does happen, Ford will not acknowledge or correct them. Their customer service 'representatives' are apparently there for the dealerships' benefit, not to help customers.

On New Year's Eve, I drove 60 miles to another Ford dealership that a friend of mine does a lot of work for, in the hopes that I might recieve some better treatment. Not wanting to waste their time with a problem Ford is not going to acknowledge or pay for, I simply asked them to check the front-end aligment, on the chance that it's off and that's what causing my vibration. No luck. Alignment is spot-on. The vibration is still there.

I HATE THIS CAR NOW. I HATE DRIVING IT. I HATE LOOKING AT IT (even though it still looks damn good!). And I especially hate making payments on it, now that it's no longer the car that I purchased.

It's been completely ruined for me by the vibrations gnawing at my brain since TSB 12-6-17. I can leave work after having a very pleasant day, looking forward to coming home to a nice steak dinner or something... and by the time I walk through the door, I'm foaming-at-the-mouth angry and trembling about how much I hate that vibrating hunk of junk and the fact that I can get no satisfaction from Ford about it.

It's all in my head apparently. I believe the term is 'gaslighting'. Ford is trying to drive me insane. They just might succeed... but I will NEVER buy another Ford again. They'll never make me THAT crazy!

TO THE FORD CUSTOMER SERVICE REPS who patrol this forum. Don't bother asking me to PM you. I'm not going to do it. Ford has made it very clear that they have no intention of fixing my car. Not even the problems that their dealership and/or their TSB caused. I will just live with it until I can trade it in... the sooner the better.

In the meantime, I will be telling anyone who will listen about how poorly I have been treated. Ford's 'customer service' department should be called the customer DISservice department. They've certainly done one to me.

Sorry for the novel... but I feel just slightly better now.

TL;DR- Having a Ford dealership perform TSB 12-6-17 did nothing to fix my clunk, and actually caused new noises and vibrations, none of which Ford will fix.

Bookmarks & Social Networks