2012 Titanium Front Strut Low Speed Noise (Clunk/Rattle) - Page 153 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive

MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive The place to chat about TSB and Known Issues for the 2012 Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 11-08-2012, 10:44 AM   #1521
FordService
Official Ford Rep

Fan#: 79824
What I Drive: Ford Focus

FF Reputation: 18 FordService Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Hey everyone,

I'm happy to step in here and help each of you out. Please send me a PM with your VIN, dealer, mileage, daytime phone number, and full name; I'll start researching some options.

Thank you!
Crystal

p: 800.392.FORD
t: @FordService @FordFocus @Ford
f: facebook.com/FordFocus facebook.com/Ford
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-08-2012, 11:33 AM   #1522
Zillon
Focus Addict

Fan#: 17393
What I Drive: '13 GTI

FF Reputation: 27 Zillon Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FordCustomerService View Post
Hey everyone,

I'm happy to step in here and help each of you out. Please send me a PM with your VIN, dealer, mileage, daytime phone number, and full name; I'll start researching some options.

Thank you!
Crystal
I really wish you could help me.

Best of luck to everyone else, though.
Old 11-08-2012, 12:14 PM   #1523
dyn085
That Guy

Fan#: 98047
What I Drive: 2014 FiST/FoST

FF Reputation: 46 dyn085 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zillon View Post

^^^This x2.

FocusFest 2013: Best of Show
Gateway FFW: Show Class Outstanding
September '13 ROTM
2014 FiST-
Old 11-08-2012, 01:46 PM   #1524
Uptcv1
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 88390
What I Drive: 2012 sonic blue SE sport DCT hatch

FF Reputation: 1 Uptcv1 Good Standing Member
Quote:

Second that emotion
Old 11-08-2012, 03:12 PM   #1525
Lipshurt
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 92314
What I Drive: 2012 blue focus SE

FF Reputation: 2 Lipshurt Good Standing Member
I've been following zillions trials and find it very interesting.
since my sound is becoming more obvious and predictable (mine is gets worse when the temp is below 66 degrees and its getting colder lately in southern Ca) i have been able to take some more accurate notes:

1) its most definitely heat related, and its very obvious. If its 65 degrees, it takes about 10 minutes of driving to go away. If its 59 degrees it takes about 15 minutes to go away. If its 70 degrees, it takes about 5 minutes to go away.

2) when its doing it (cold), it will do it every time when I'm accelerating and and i depress the clutch before letting up on the gas. In other words it does it on rapid deceleration.

3) when its doing it (cold) it does it over every bump, but ALSO does it sometimes when there is zero stress to the suspension. No bumps, no turning , no nothing.

4) when its cold it is a full on rattle. As it warms up it turns into just the very first part of the rattle sound, which is a clunk basically. That clunk only shows up over bumps or uneven pavement.

5) when it warm and not doing it (10 minutes or so driving), it seems totally tight and great. every aspect of the suspension is fantastic. Zero sounds UNLESS you hit some really wicked pavement and then you can hear that the sound/clunk/rattle is still there but it just needs a lot of excitement to make the sound.

6) after and hour of driving, no matter what pavement you hit it makes no sound. You could write a magazine article about how great the suspension is and how rattle free the whole car is.

7) when you first get in and start driving you really need to turn up the radio if there are any other people in the car. The sound is loud, cheap, and overly embarrassing. It does not even sound particularly safe to me. The parts are THAT loose. I suppose it could be a heat shield or something, but i have exhaustively insulated at least 20 or thirty sound producing parts under the hood. Including the hood itself of course. I have insulated all the under carriage pieces and under the fender pieces too.

8) the rattle on deceleration might point to a motor mount. But why would that be so heat sensitive?

9) when i did the TSB it did help, and the sound went away for a while, but it was 95 degrees every day in august the week i did the TSB. It returned as soon as the temp got down to 75. What it did actually fix however was the lumpy cheap broken feeling when turning the steering wheel. That was lame and the new bearings did fix that. If you read the TSB, that is exactly what the TSB is meant to fix. They don't even drive the car over bumps when they check the effectiveness of the TSB

10) Ford is 100% not responsive to me any more since the TSB only fixed part of the problem. My dealer, Heller ford in escondido CA. has never returned my calls nor emails about it. "brian" the "regional service rep" talked to me one time after the TSB and i gave him an earful. Perhaps too much of an earful:) but i never cussed, etc. They should be able to take their incompetence being pointed out.

If this gets figured out, it will NOT be ford that figures it out. if they had anyone working on it at all, even one person working for a couple days with access to chassis ears, and some sort of actual motivation, it would have been fix a year ago. They are NOT working on it.
Old 11-08-2012, 03:36 PM   #1526
Zillon
Focus Addict

Fan#: 17393
What I Drive: '13 GTI

FF Reputation: 27 Zillon Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
If I had a some chassis ears at my disposal, I probably could've solved this myself a long time ago. I'll have to check again and see if we have them in the shop here at work, maybe I could work something out and borrow them for some troubleshooting.

I'm due for an oil change in the next thousand miles, so at some point in the next month I'll have it up on a lift. I'll at least check the subframe bolts, endlinks, and sway bar bushings for play/looseness. The struts, strut bearings, and strut mounts are brand new OEM parts, installed to spec, and then to my own spec. Sure, it's slightly improved, but the fact that it hasn't disappeared means that I haven't solved the issue.

It really just sucks, because I love the rest of the car. The color, the seats, the handling, the style. But suspension noises drive me up a wall, especially when the car is brand new.

I'm at a loss, and I'm tired of sounding like a broken record on here. I'm sure I seem like a troll to others, but I've poured a lot of my own money, time, and resources into trying to find a solution to a problem that not only plagues my car, but others as well. It would be nice to get thrown a bone from Ford for once, and not just get boned.
Old 11-08-2012, 04:11 PM   #1527
Uptcv1
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
... I'm at a loss, and I'm tired of sounding like a broken record on here. I'm sure I seem like a troll to others, but I've poured a lot of my own money, time, and resources into trying to find a solution to a problem that not only plagues my car, but others as well. It would be nice to get thrown a bone from Ford for once, and not just get boned.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lipshurt View Post
... If this gets figured out, it will NOT be ford that figures it out. if they had anyone working on it at all, even one person working for a couple days with access to chassis ears, and some sort of actual motivation, it would have been fix a year ago. They are NOT working on it.
I think we need a solution movement to get Ford's true attention... (fear of the media)
maybe a big meet (maybe few locations) and we shoot a video for youtube...
title: "Call me clunky" sound and all... I'm sure it'll sound great to Ford exec's ears.. hey we might also get air time on ABC..
Call me clunky...
Old 11-08-2012, 04:39 PM   #1528
PratoN
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 88058
What I Drive: 2012 Kona Blue Ti Hatchback, DCT

FF Reputation: 10 PratoN Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uptcv1 View Post
title: "Call me clunky" sound and all... I'm sure it'll sound great to Ford exec's ears.. hey we might also get air time on ABC..
Call me clunky...
Is there room in the band for clutch rattle/grinding? I'm also good at headliner and seat rattles. You'll have to look elsewhere for mirror whistling; I never had that issue.
Old 11-08-2012, 08:24 PM   #1529
Uptcv1
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by PratoN View Post
Is there room in the band for clutch rattle/grinding? I'm also good at headliner and seat rattles. You'll have to look elsewhere for mirror whistling; I never had that issue.
Plenty of room!
Old 11-11-2012, 09:12 AM   #1530
Phokus
Shiny Metal Titanium

Fan#: 60433
What I Drive: 2013 Performance Blue Titanium Seda

FF Reputation: 7 Phokus Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (9)
Hey
I have a 2013 Titanium with no clunks 2400mi
I peeked under my hood yesterday cleaning out random dirt and leaves and saw that my spacer looks thinner than pics of those posted here and thought you guys might want to know

Bookmarks & Social Networks