2012 Titanium Front Strut Low Speed Noise (Clunk/Rattle) - Page 152 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive

MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive The place to chat about TSB and Known Issues for the 2012 Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 11-06-2012, 06:00 PM   #1511
theshrewz
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 103228
What I Drive: 2012 Silver Se Focus

FF Reputation: 2 theshrewz Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Gonna be swappin bolts like Zillion tonight and seeing how that works, Have new strut tops and bearings as well if the bolts and re aligning the struts doesnt solve the issue.

I had a theroy that torqueing to the higher numbers might be crushing the bearigs and casuing the creaking so Im gonna torque the better bolts to stock numbers and see if that helps if not try out Zillions 35-37 Ftlbs torque specs.

FINGERS CROSSED
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-06-2012, 06:21 PM   #1512
Zillon
Focus Addict

Fan#: 17393
What I Drive: '13 GTI

FF Reputation: 27 Zillon Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by zx3matt View Post
Thanks. I kind of figured that. Couple more questions... I am getting wider tires soon, so what size did you end up with and what offset on the wheels? I am thinking either 225/50/17 or 235/45/17 on my Drag wheels (17x7.5").
I'm on 18x8 +45 wheels with 235/40 tires. From a driving standpoint, I kind of regret not going with a proper 17x8 wheel with a 235/45. I might be considering selling them in the spring, they're too form > function for me. But damn, they really do look good.

I'd go with 235/45s. Right diameter, and less sidewall.

Anyways, back on topic.

Shrewz, the bearings themselves aren't held in place by the strut mount bolts, so while the additional torque might be causing my occasional creaking, it's not from the bearings binding. The bearings are actually held in place by the tension provided by the compressed coil. You are using the OEM bolt spacers for your install, right? Washers will collapse into the holes in the strut towers.

Let me know what you find after the install.
Old 11-06-2012, 10:36 PM   #1513
TORQUERULES
The Professor

Fan#: 1083
What I Drive: '13 Mazdaspeed 3; '87 'Stang

FF Reputation: 9 TORQUERULES Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zillon View Post
I'm on 18x8 +45 wheels with 235/40 tires. From a driving standpoint, I kind of regret not going with a proper 17x8 wheel with a 235/45. I might be considering selling them in the spring, they're too form > function for me. But damn, they really do look good.

I'd go with 235/45s. Right diameter, and less sidewall.

Anyways, back on topic.

Shrewz, the bearings themselves aren't held in place by the strut mount bolts, so while the additional torque might be causing my occasional creaking, it's not from the bearings binding. The bearings are actually held in place by the tension provided by the compressed coil. You are using the OEM bolt spacers for your install, right? Washers will collapse into the holes in the strut towers.

Let me know what you find after the install.
Just hope my +42 offset will not be too much.
Old 11-06-2012, 10:44 PM   #1514
Zillon
Focus Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by zx3matt View Post
Just hope my +42 offset will not be too much.
On 17x7.5 wheels? Nah. Your wheels will actually sit in 3mm further than mine; you'll have plenty of clearance for meaty tread.
Old 11-06-2012, 10:44 PM   #1515
theshrewz
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 103228
What I Drive: 2012 Silver Se Focus

FF Reputation: 2 theshrewz Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Well I upgraded and Swapped all the strut bolts and Just torqued them to 35 ftlbs and It didn't make the creaking go away :( the never ending quest to fix this damn issue.

I just used 6 washers under the bolts I used to make it the same height as the stock bolt.
I totally spaced and didn't try this set up with stock Torque, Im kinda over it but I really hope ford fixes this some how.

I really think Steeda or some company could make a better strut topper with a sealed bearing and it solve this issue and WED ALL buy that in a heartbeat. For now I turn the radio up a little louder so I don't notice it.

Untitled by theshrewz, on Flickr

I got My Steeda CAI and short throw and my ST wing in today so I installed the CAI to make me feel better ahha.

It looks red cause I oiled it with the K&N Oil my dad had left over from his filter he has on his Mustang
Old 11-06-2012, 11:36 PM   #1516
Zillon
Focus Addict

I just found this.

Quote:
TSB: 02-11-04
2010-2012 MAZDASPEED3 - SQUEAK OR KNOCK NOISE FROM FRONT STABILIZER
APPLICABLE MODEL(S)/VINS
2010-2012 Mazdaspeed3

DESCRIPTION
Some vehicles may exhibit a squeak or knock noise from the front end of the vehicle when passing over a bump. This is caused by dust entering between the stabilizer bar and stabilizer bushing and damaging the coating applied to the bushing, resulting in excessive clearance.
To stop the noise, the left and right front stabilizer bushings are replaced with new ones and dust covers with bands are installed.

2010 Mazda 3
TSB: 02-10-05
2010 MAZDA3 - KNOCK / CLUNK NOISE FROM FRONT WHEN GOING OVER BUMPS
APPLICABLE MODEL(S)/VINS
2010 Mazda3 vehicles with VINs lower than JM1BL336667 (produced before June 1, 2010)

DESCRIPTION
Some vehicles may experience a knock / clunk noise from the front of the vehicle when going over bumps. Typically the noise occurs at the right front of the vehicle with only the right front tire. Due to the impact while going over bumps, a vertical force is applied to the crossmember through the stabilizer which causes crossmember movement on the bushing. This movement is caused by the change of the surface characteristics of the bushing during hot ambient temperatures in summer. Less holding force during cold temperatures results in movement and stick-slip noise at the bushing (A) near the front (F) of the front crossmember. The bushing is now modified to reduce the movement.

NOTE: This concern is best duplicated with cold ambient temperatures below 12.8 degrees C (55 degrees F). Once the vehicle has warmed up, the concern may be difficult to duplicate.

2007 - notes this
MTOL -07/06
MAZDA3, MAZDASPEED3, MAZDA5, MAZDA6-“POP!” NOISE FROM COWL OVER BUMPS
Concern:
Some customers may complain of a ‘POP!’ noise that is heard in the front of the vehicle, particularly when going over large bumps. The noise comes from the under the hood in the upper front strut tower area, and can easily be mistaken for a front suspension noise. Upon further investigation, the front suspension components are not the cause of the noise.

Contact and movement between the cowl panel and the vehicle body may be the cause of the noise and the mounting bolts for the cowl panel need to be re- torqued .
Veddy interesting.
Old 11-06-2012, 11:42 PM   #1517
Shade-010
Sonic Crew # 010

Fan#: 87369
What I Drive: 2012 Ford Focus SE Sport - 5 Speed

FF Reputation: 9 Shade-010 Good Standing Member
Things to make you go hmmmmmmmmmmm?
http://www.rebeldevil.com
Old 11-07-2012, 03:23 AM   #1518
dyn085
That Guy

Fan#: 98047
What I Drive: 2014 FiST/FoST

FF Reputation: 46 dyn085 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
So we're back to the sway bar, but at the frame mounts-not the endlinks...interesting indeed.

It would kind of explain why the noise disappears for a bit after unloading the suspension, though I'm curious as to how they would be covering them with dust boots.

I guess I will go back up on the jacks tomorrow...

FocusFest 2013: Best of Show
Gateway FFW: Show Class Outstanding
September '13 ROTM
2014 FiST-
Old 11-07-2012, 06:33 AM   #1519
Zillon
Focus Addict

Well, the creaking I have, I believe is linked to the sway bar bushings. Easy fix, generally speaking.

The clunking, though, could just be the subframe bolts/isolators, which was a thought of mine a long time ago.

Certainly not a cheap issue to take care of, though; the isolators are 20-30 bucks each. And there are 4 of them. Bolts are at least cheap, though.

However, for those who claim the strut bearing/strut mount/spring/strut replacement did nothing, I've seen nothing said about checking the subframe connections to the chassis.
Old 11-07-2012, 08:15 AM   #1520
TORQUERULES
The Professor

Fan#: 1083
What I Drive: '13 Mazdaspeed 3; '87 'Stang

FF Reputation: 9 TORQUERULES Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zillon View Post
On 17x7.5 wheels? Nah. Your wheels will actually sit in 3mm further than mine; you'll have plenty of clearance for meaty tread.
That's what I wanted to hear.

Bookmarks & Social Networks