2012 Titanium Front Strut Low Speed Noise (Clunk/Rattle) - Page 145 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive

MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive The place to chat about TSB and Known Issues for the 2012 Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 11-01-2012, 08:46 AM   #1441
Zillon
Focus Addict

Fan#: 17393
What I Drive: '13 GTI

FF Reputation: 27 Zillon Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisRyan View Post
I didn't mean to come off as I was looking for a rebate check from Ford. I should have filtered my frustration. I agree its for the greater good of finding a solution.
Likewise, I didn't mean to offend.

I'm just trying to get people to lend a hand in finding a solution, as long as they are willing.

So, let me reiterate, for anyone who might've missed the original post:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zillon
Attention everyone!

I just received a PM from Crystal that basically said this: She need more data from us!

So, let's give her every bit of information we can. All of you with this issue: Please go forth and tighten your strut mounts bolts, put a few miles on the car, and if it works, report your findings. If it doesn't work, report your findings. Be sure to include whether one side clunked, or both sides clunked, and whether either side or both are still making noise or not.

Post your results in here, and then PM her VIN, name, and the date you attempted my 'fix,' which is to simply tighten the strut mount bolts to 35 ft-lbs (process outlined here: CLICK). Three of us have had varying success with this so far, including myself (Zillon), dyn085, and TboneZX3.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-01-2012, 08:48 AM   #1442
Nutty 5.0
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 81405
What I Drive: 2005 ZX3 SE Sonic Blue 5spd

FF Reputation: 1 Nutty 5.0 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
I'll try and get this done this weekend guys to add to the collective data. Thanks for those doing this.

I'll add that although I rarely drive the car as my wife is the main driver, that last fix we had done back in June or July has seemed to keep the clunk away thus far.
1993 Mustang Featured in MM/FF and 5.0 and Super Ford Magazine SOLD - 2003 Cobra SOLD
Old 11-01-2012, 08:55 AM   #1443
Zillon
Focus Addict

If your car isn't clunking now after Ford performed the TSB work, I don't see a need to tweak anything. I'd keep things as-is, lest you create any additional issues.
Old 11-01-2012, 09:07 AM   #1444
SaToX
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 94321
What I Drive: 2012 White Titanium Hatch

FF Reputation: 4 SaToX Good Standing Member
I am going to try this weekend to get this done. Wish me luck :)
Old 11-01-2012, 09:15 AM   #1445
FordService
Official Ford Rep

Fan#: 79824
What I Drive: Ford Focus

FF Reputation: 18 FordService Great Standing Member
Hey Fanatics,

First of all, thanks to Zillon for spreading the word about my data-gathering project. It helps out engineers to have a few data points when I send information like this up the line to them; VINs in particular give them the ability to put their finger on commonalities across vehicles like specific models or build dates.

If you have any questions, feel free to reach out to me via PM. Thanks in advance!

Crystal

p: 800.392.FORD
t: @FordService @FordFocus @Ford
f: facebook.com/FordFocus facebook.com/Ford
Old 11-01-2012, 09:46 AM   #1446
Lipshurt
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 92314
What I Drive: 2012 blue focus SE

FF Reputation: 2 Lipshurt Good Standing Member
Ill get to my bolts maybe on Sunday.
For ford sake I hope it's not the solution. If it is, that means that after months of research and thousands of Tsb repairs that cost about 1000 dollars each, the "engineers" still never got around to opening the car, poking around a bit and tightening things that might be loose. That would have been the very first step in the process. Before any money was spent on parts or anything. Actually every single "tech" who ever looked at the issue should have done that too.
That leaves us with two possibilities:
1) the loose bolts are the problem and we can all fix it ourselves
2) every single person at ford who has been involved with this is totally incompetent

My basic faith in humanity tells me that somewhere along the line a competent person has looked at this, so the issue is more complicated.
I know that my clunk is the sound of something that is flat out loose, and something that needs to go from 25 pounds of torque to 35. At least that's my gut feeling. I will check the bolts though. One thing that points to the bolts is that after the Tsb my car was good until I hit a pretty hard bump that loosened up the front.
Old 11-01-2012, 10:12 AM   #1447
PratoN
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 88058
What I Drive: 2012 Kona Blue Ti Hatchback, DCT

FF Reputation: 10 PratoN Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lipshurt View Post
My basic faith in humanity tells me that somewhere along the line a competent person has looked at this, so the issue is more complicated.
There's always the chance there are Ford technicians that have found this and re-torqued them and sent the costumers on their way without it ever making it up the line that his fix worked? And for his job's sake - it's probably a good thing considering he'd be over-torquing the bolts.
Old 11-01-2012, 10:30 AM   #1448
Zillon
Focus Addict

I think the bigger issue we might be looking at is that the bolts are stretching, and a stronger bolt needs to be spec'd.
Old 11-01-2012, 10:45 AM   #1449
PratoN
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 88058
What I Drive: 2012 Kona Blue Ti Hatchback, DCT

FF Reputation: 10 PratoN Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zillon View Post
I think the bigger issue we might be looking at is that the bolts are stretching, and a stronger bolt needs to be spec'd.
+1

Anyone find out what size bolt that is yet? How hard is it to reach? I could just run out to my car with a micrometer...
Old 11-01-2012, 11:01 AM   #1450
hand-filer
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 90895
What I Drive: One less Ford

FF Reputation: 1 hand-filer Good Standing Member
The existing bolts are the equivalent to a grade 8 rating which is pretty strong in terms of tensile strength.
A 12.9 rated bolt would be better but at some point we need to consider the strength of the material you are installing the bolt into.
The engineering technologist in me is saying that we should not take this too lightly.
These 6, 8mm bolts are holding our front ends together.

Bookmarks & Social Networks