2012 Titanium Front Strut Low Speed Noise (Clunk/Rattle) - Page 144 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive

MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive The place to chat about TSB and Known Issues for the 2012 Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 10-31-2012, 12:03 PM   #1431
Zillon
Focus Addict

Fan#: 17393
What I Drive: '13 GTI

FF Reputation: 27 Zillon Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PratoN View Post
It looks like they're removable. I think part number 3C448 is a bolt/washer combo, no?

ebay:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/FORD-OEM-MOU...&forceRpt=true
That's the strut mount from the old C170 Focus (2000-2011), which uses studs in the strut mount vs the bolts that thread into the strut mount from the top on ours.

Ours utilize a bolt/washer combo, though. I'll check the size of the bolt head when I get a moment.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-31-2012, 12:04 PM   #1432
Zillon
Focus Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rememo View Post
Yup.... CV6Z-3C448-A

Chris posted a helpful link to a PDF with all of the parts listed:

http://www.fordracingparts.com/downl...htM-FR3-FS.pdf

Edit: Dumb question... When the strut is mounted into the strut tower, isn't it a metal-on-metal connection? If so, then there is nothing there to compress. At 25 ft lbs, it should be compressed as far as it can go right? Not doubting that this fix works, just curious about the mechanics behind it.
Not a dumb question at all, but to answer it: The strut mount is rubber, with metal threaded inserts for the strut mount bolts to thread into.
Old 10-31-2012, 12:21 PM   #1433
PratoN
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 88058
What I Drive: 2012 Kona Blue Ti Hatchback, DCT

FF Reputation: 10 PratoN Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zillon View Post
The strut mount is rubber, with metal threaded inserts for the strut mount bolts to thread into.
Ahh... that makes more sense now! You see, I don't have the clunking issue (unless I have a full car) so I'm pretty much just ignoring it for now. I still want to help, but have no idea what these parts look like on the car as I have not personally taken anything apart.
Old 10-31-2012, 01:05 PM   #1434
Zillon
Focus Addict

Attention everyone!

I just received a PM from Crystal that basically said this: She need more data from us!

So, let's give her every bit of information we can. All of you with this issue: Please go forth and tighten your strut mounts bolts, put a few miles on the car, and if it works, report your findings. If it doesn't work, report your findings. Be sure to include whether one side clunked, or both sides clunked, and whether either side or both are still making noise or not.

Post your results in here, and then PM her VIN, name, and the date you attempted my 'fix,' which is to simply tighten the strut mount bolts to 35 ft-lbs (process outlined here: CLICK). Three of us have had varying success with this so far, including myself (Zillon), dyn085, and TboneZX3.
Old 10-31-2012, 03:39 PM   #1435
Lipshurt
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 92314
What I Drive: 2012 blue focus SE

FF Reputation: 2 Lipshurt Good Standing Member
So does the torque of the mount bolts makes sense regarding the temperature sensitivity?
When you are ink there, is anything loose? mine sounds so loose that it seems like you could move stuff around pretty easy. And then when it gets hot, which takes a really long time like twenty minutes, its all tight.

That just does not sound like bolts that are under torqued. it sounds like stuff that is totally loose.
Old 10-31-2012, 03:47 PM   #1436
ChrisRyan
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 97815
What I Drive: '12 SE Sterling Grey(5door) 5M 203A

FF Reputation: 2 ChrisRyan Good Standing Member
What will Ford do if Zillion has found the fix? Will they refund us for the time spent and connections purchased that need replaced due to their one time use lifespan? I'm all for doing this and reporting my results but I have yet to round up part numbers and prices for said connections to deem it a safe "fix". How will Ford handle our warranty after we submit our names and VIN stating we did the work on the suspension and not a dealer?
Old 10-31-2012, 03:57 PM   #1437
TboneZX3
Ford Fiend

Fan#: 90494
What I Drive: '12 SE Sport, '01 ZX3, '67 Bronco

FF Reputation: 10 TboneZX3 Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisRyan View Post
What will Ford do if Zillion has found the fix?
The only thing I see Ford doing is possibly include the data we collect here into a real solution. If you decide to try the fix, then you will have contributed to that work and possibly reduce the frustration of hundreds (thousands?) of customers that have the issue.

Personally, I like the idea of fixing it myself and not waiting in frustration for Ford to fix it. If Zillon's work and our data ultimately contribute to a final fix, then that's all the better.
Hatch Nation #90
'12 SE Sport 5Dr |╠╬╝|Sterling Grey Metallic|203a|Moonroof|17" Paint/Mach Whls|K&N 57S-4000|FFE RMM|Steeda STB, RSB|JBR bushings
'01 ZX3|╠╬╝|Pitch Black|Prem. pkg.|Moonroof|SVT Snorkel|SVT Springs|S2 Dampers|Steeda STS|Magnaflow exh.
Old 10-31-2012, 03:58 PM   #1438
Zillon
Focus Addict

Nothing was loose on my car, aside from the strut bearings I removed having a bit more play in them compared to the replacements I installed. However, that being said, when I swapped out my OEM dampers for ST dampers and strut mounts, I did torque my strut mounts to Ford's factory spec, and had no noise. 1700 miles later, I had noise. That is with the OEM-supplied mounting hardware that has been on my car since day one. I have not experimented with any sort of aftermarket or replacement OEM hardware to see if the bolts are the culprit. The 35 ft-lb torque spec I'm experimenting with is pushing the limits as far as tensile strength of the bolts goes. They're only grade 10.9 bolts, which have a torque-spec of somewhere in the 25-30 ft-lb range.

The temperature difference correlating with increased suspension noise does make some sense to me, since my own car makes more noise with higher temperatures; I believe that as the rubber in the strut mount softens with increasing temperature, it makes more noise.

This could also be a compound issue, with stretched/looser than normal strut mount bolts causing the initial noise under load, and the play leading to strut bearing failure... who knows. That's purely speculation on my part with no substantiating evidence.

Regardless, if you're willing to experiment, try putting more torque on the strut mount bolts, and see what happens. It shouldn't hurt, and I have word directly from our Ford customer service rep that the engineers need our feedback.

Stop looking for reimbursement or compensation from Ford, I wouldn't expect that to happen. However, I do ask that you help us find a solution. Personally? I'm just looking for way to solve this clunk issue and put my mind at rest so I can keep the car and not take the heavy financial hit of trading it in on something that doesn't clunk.

If you aren't willing to take the risk, then don't. However, I'm fed up with my brand new car making noises that some cars ten-times as old don't even make.
Old 10-31-2012, 04:16 PM   #1439
ChrisRyan
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 97815
What I Drive: '12 SE Sterling Grey(5door) 5M 203A

FF Reputation: 2 ChrisRyan Good Standing Member
I didn't mean to come off as I was looking for a rebate check from Ford. I should have filtered my frustration. I agree its for the greater good of finding a solution.
Old 10-31-2012, 05:12 PM   #1440
PratoN
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 88058
What I Drive: 2012 Kona Blue Ti Hatchback, DCT

FF Reputation: 10 PratoN Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisRyan View Post
I didn't mean to come off as I was looking for a rebate check from Ford. I should have filtered my frustration. I agree its for the greater good of finding a solution.
I agree that it's unfair that some people are spending thousands of dollars on performance struts by trying to find a solution to the clunk, but customers that have the means and are willing to do so can help out everyone if we can give this future TSB (whatever it may be) a little shove forward. But I don't predict/expect Ford to foot any of their bills.

Bookmarks & Social Networks