2012 Titanium Front Strut Low Speed Noise (Clunk/Rattle) - Page 128 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive

MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive The place to chat about TSB and Known Issues for the 2012 Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 09-25-2012, 10:31 PM   #1271
Shantheman2012
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 98655
What I Drive: Fmr: 2012 Ti Sedan Now: '13 Taurus

FF Reputation: 2 Shantheman2012 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zillon View Post
You've gotta take the good with the bad.

Otherwise you'd totally miss the fact that I have managed to fix the clunk myself, and I also documented my entire procedure and parts list (all Ford parts, too). I would hope Ford would consider that to be useful feedback.
Zillon...did u simply use new but same upper mounts/bearings that comes on our cars currently...or were they part of the ST parts u purchased and therefore a diff design?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-25-2012, 11:52 PM   #1272
wilsonfocus86
Focus Addict

Fan#: 23099
What I Drive: 14 Fusion 2.0

FF Reputation: 3 wilsonfocus86 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilsonfocus86 View Post
For a future reference... In your opinion, what do you think is/was causing the "clunkiness" to happen since swapping all the suspension bits out?
Quote:
The upper strut mounts could also be another problem area, especially when combined with the strut bearing. Unfortunately, I can't really tell you what the difference is between the ST and non-ST upper strut mount. All that I can say is that the ST strut mount is an entirely different part number.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shantheman2012 View Post
Zillon...did u simply use new but same upper mounts/bearings that comes on our cars currently...or were they part of the ST parts u purchased and therefore a diff design?
That's what I got from him... I'm sure he will chime in more!
Old 09-26-2012, 12:33 AM   #1273
Justintoxicated
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 103386
What I Drive: Silver Focus 2012 Titanium MFT

FF Reputation: 1 Justintoxicated Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic_HedgeHog View Post
Statistically speaking though, how many individual cars are involved? Many, many multiple posters
all of them?
Old 09-26-2012, 05:02 AM   #1274
dyn085
That Guy

Fan#: 98047
What I Drive: 2014 FiST/FoST

FF Reputation: 46 dyn085 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
Zillon had to replace everything from the strut up, to include the upper mounts, as the ST parts are different (but a direct bolt-in).

Sent from my stupid phone.

FocusFest 2013: Best of Show
Gateway FFW: Show Class Outstanding
September '13 ROTM
2014 FiST-
Old 09-26-2012, 05:07 AM   #1275
dyn085
That Guy

Fan#: 98047
What I Drive: 2014 FiST/FoST

FF Reputation: 46 dyn085 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilsonfocus86 View Post
You are going to have a boat load of people as well, who know nothing about cars (especially suspension), who have no clue that it isn't suppose to sound like this clunk we all have. They could be clllllluueeelessss. And there is the older generation who buy these cars, too. Do you think they are going to notice this as well? I think not.
I don't know, I think that the problem is noticed by many, honestly. When I went to order my replacement bearings (which have conveniently been 'lost', with no verification of purchase), my parts dept. informed me that there were over 4400 bearings on back order at the time. Most people that I have seen have the issue on one side of the car, but even if you assume that a set was ordered for each car,that shows that there are over 2200 vehicles with the problem...

Sent from my stupid phone.

FocusFest 2013: Best of Show
Gateway FFW: Show Class Outstanding
September '13 ROTM
2014 FiST-
Old 09-26-2012, 06:23 AM   #1276
Zillon
Focus Addict

Fan#: 17393
What I Drive: '13 GTI

FF Reputation: 27 Zillon Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
The ST uses the same bearings as the regular Focus (Ford #CV6Z-18198-A / Motorcraft #AD-1094). So, if my noise returns, I can directly blame it on the bearings.

The ST-specific parts that I did use were the top strut mounts (#AD-1098) and the front struts (#AST-12281 LH F strut / #AST-12287 RH F strut). Everything bolts right in without an issue. I'm also lowered on Eibach Pro-kit springs, which is why Ford wouldn't touch my car.

I also used the following torque specs, because I believe the bearing and mount are super-sensitive to being overtorqued:
Center strut nut: 50 ft-lbs
Upper mount bolts: 25 ft-lbs

I also used a prolific amount of lithium grease between the bearing and the strut mount, on the bumpstop that fits into the bearing, and around the seam of the strut bearing itself.
Old 09-26-2012, 06:36 AM   #1277
Shantheman2012
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 98655
What I Drive: Fmr: 2012 Ti Sedan Now: '13 Taurus

FF Reputation: 2 Shantheman2012 Good Standing Member
Quote:
The ST uses the same bearings as the regular Focus (Ford #CV6Z-18198-A / Motorcraft #AD-1094). So, if my noise returns, I can directly blame it on the bearings.

The ST-specific parts that I did use were the top strut mounts (#AD-1098) and the front struts (#AST-12281 LH F strut / #AST-12287 RH F strut). Everything bolts right in without an issue. I'm also lowered on Eibach Pro-kit springs, which is why Ford wouldn't touch my car.

I also used the following torque specs, because I believe the bearing and mount are super-sensitive to being overtorqued:
Center strut nut: 50 ft-lbs
Upper mount bolts: 25 ft-lbs

I also used a prolific amount of lithium grease between the bearing and the strut mount, on the bumpstop that fits into the bearing, and around the seam of the strut bearing itself.
Ok...that's what I thought u did. You're right...if the noise returns it will probably be those bearings. I'm watching for the st's to develop the issue...and if yours returns too. (Hopefully not!). I'm sure the added grease helped.
Old 09-29-2012, 11:41 AM   #1278
elpibe7777
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 43698
What I Drive: 2012 FoFo SE Hatchback

FF Reputation: 1 elpibe7777 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Some Guy From NY View Post
This is exactly why I am NOT sending Crystal my info concerning this problem. I am NOT bringing my car into the dealer for them to diagnose this issue, then to bring it back in AGAIN to have them replace parts and possibly make it worse/mess up my alignment just to have the rattle come back. SCREW. THAT.
I have the same rattle, and cluck at low speeds. I don't want their mechanics to be guessing what the hell is wrong, or keep trying the same TSB over and over again that does not solve the problem. Insanity = doing the same over and over again expecting different results. I may end up taking it to a dealer next weekend the noise is starting to irk me. We'll see.... Some service managers and mechanics feel they know better just because they work at the dealerships service department. To think I traded in my perfectly working 2006 Honda Accord SE, that had no front end noise for this. WTF

Last edited by elpibe7777; 09-29-2012 at 11:52 AM. Reason: Added to the post
Old 09-29-2012, 11:53 AM   #1279
suss6052
Focus Addict

Fan#: 95752
What I Drive: 2013 Ford Focus ST2 Ingot Silver

FF Reputation: 23 suss6052 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justintoxicated View Post
all of them?
No not all of the cars are affected by this issue at least as far as I know. Mine doesn't sound like that passat from the Top Gear U.S. Fuel economy challenge with the blown strut clacking everywhere. For the most part its really quiet except for the road noise from the tires or the sound of the suspension compressing and rebounding over speed bumps/etc. I have to drive over several speed bumps at least 2x a day to get into and out of the apartment complex so if that was a condition that would cause the clunk to become evident I think I would have heard it by now.
Old 09-30-2012, 01:44 PM   #1280
Uptcv1
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 88390
What I Drive: 2012 sonic blue SE sport DCT hatch

FF Reputation: 1 Uptcv1 Good Standing Member
below shows this affects builds on or before 4/2/12...
anyone knows what happened after 4/2/12?
(part #'s didnt change as the ones shown below are not showing on fordparts.com or on new builds...)

Bookmarks & Social Networks