2012 Titanium Front Strut Low Speed Noise (Clunk/Rattle) - Page 122 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive

MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive The place to chat about TSB and Known Issues for the 2012 Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 09-17-2012, 06:43 PM   #1211
Uptcv1
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 88390
What I Drive: 2012 sonic blue SE sport DCT hatch

FF Reputation: 1 Uptcv1 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zillon View Post
ST strut install slated for later this afternoon.

I'll keep everyone posted on my findings.
drum roll
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-17-2012, 07:42 PM   #1212
Zillon
Focus Addict

Fan#: 17393
What I Drive: '13 GTI

FF Reputation: 27 Zillon Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
So, I've won the battle. My car is now CLUNK FREE.

I'll keep everyone updated over the next few weeks and see if any noises return, but for now, I'm calling this a breakthrough.

Parts used:
- AD-1098 F Upper Strut Mounts x2 (Ford part #CV6Z-18183-B) 16.37 from Tousley Ford
- AST-12281 LH F Strut (#CV6Z-18124-R) 37.93 from Tousley
- AST-12287 RH F Strut (#CV6Z-18124-Q) 37.93 from Tousley
- AD-1094 strut bearings (#CV6Z-18198-A) 12.97 from my local Ford dealer

I used a liberal amount of white lithium grease in the following areas:
- Between the strut bearings and strut mounts
- Where the bump stops (aka jounce bumpers) sit in the strut bearings
- Around the seal of the strut bearings
- I also used the lithium grease to help seat the strut into the knuckle

Additionally, I grabbed some torque specs from the Mazdaspeed forums because I think these strut bearings are extremely sensitive to being overtorqued, which causes the bearing to bind and subsequently fail.
- Center nut on the strut: 50 ft-lbs
- 3 strut mount bolts: 25 ft-lbs

I left the 'mass damper' attached to the swaybar endlink bolt. I don't believe this is to blame for the noise - the Focus ST has the same exact part, and nobody on the ST forums is complaining of a clunking, clomping suspension (yet, at least).

The tab on the strut bearing and strut mount need to line up with the alignment tab on the back of the strut. When put together properly, you should be able to look down the back of the strut and all three should line up.

So, driving impressions: A drawback for some might be that these struts are much firmer than the stock SE touring struts, but for those looking for something to pair with mild lowering springs (Pro-kits; Steeda springs), they are perfect. Coupled with the upper strut mounts, the steering is much sharper, and I'll even go as far to say there's some feedback in the steering now. The car feels much lighter on its feet, and changes direction eagerly. Before, the car drove like it weighed another 500-700 lbs.

Unfortunately, the rear shocks from the ST are much too short due to different mounting locations on the rear knuckles and will not work with non-ST Foci. To fix the lack of uprated damping in the rear, I've ordered a pair of Koni Sport shocks for a 2010+ Mazdaspeed 3(#8040-1353SPORT). These will work, and the rebound damping is adjustable, so I'm hoping that they will allow me to fine tune the rear suspension to match the front. They should be here later this week.

Any questions, fire away.

Last edited by Zillon; 09-17-2012 at 10:20 PM.
Old 09-17-2012, 08:21 PM   #1213
hand-filer
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 90895
What I Drive: One less Ford

FF Reputation: 1 hand-filer Good Standing Member
Quote:

Any questions, fire away.
What condition were the original bearings in and how much lubricant if any did you find on them?
Thanks,
h-f
Old 09-17-2012, 09:23 PM   #1214
Timthom62
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 97579
What I Drive: 2012 Red Candy 5-Door SEL 303A

FF Reputation: 5 Timthom62 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by hand-filer View Post
What condition were the original bearings in and how much lubricant if any did you find on them?
Thanks,
h-f
^This, please.

Were there any visible differences between the parts you removed and those you installed that might lead you to believe that the design has been modified?

Also, would it be possible to get pics of the upper strut mounts and strut bearings that were removed?

Thanks.
Old 09-17-2012, 10:13 PM   #1215
Zillon
Focus Addict

Fan#: 17393
What I Drive: '13 GTI

FF Reputation: 27 Zillon Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
There were no immediately discernible differences between what I removed and what I installed, aside from quite a bit of slop in the original bearings. One of the bearings did separate when I removed it from the strut, but I feel that was attributed more to user error than total bearing failure itself.

The ST upper strut mounts themselves are slightly different, but just barely. Different part number stamped into the rubber, and the alignment notches are different. I didn't really get much of a chance to hold everything side by side and make a close comparison; I was crunched for time a bit since I had a friend giving me a hand and allowing me to use his lift.

I'll get some photos of the old strut bearings up tomorrow, but don't expect anything crazy. They appear fine, visually. I did look inside the one that came apart, and everything seemed normal. The grease was clean, even though it was a little less lubrication than I'd prefer, but nothing seemed bent or askew aside from several loose bearings that fell out.
Old 09-17-2012, 10:37 PM   #1216
Timthom62
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 97579
What I Drive: 2012 Red Candy 5-Door SEL 303A

FF Reputation: 5 Timthom62 Good Standing Member
Thanks! The slop in the bearings was what I was curious about.

I had a friend drive my wife's SE yesterday morning, rolling back and forth over a speed bump in a parking lot with the hood open. Looking at the upper attach points for the struts, it looked as if the 'eyeball' part of the upper strut mounts had considerable side-to-side play. I didn't disassemble the cowl panel to be sure, but it looked that way to me. Also, the movement and the noise were concurrent.

The part numbers that you were installing began with 'CV6Z' and, if I recall correctly, the originals began with 'BV6Z', which could imply some sort of revision. Unfortunately, the list of parts you changed and the list of parts to be changed for TSB 12-06-17 only had one part number in common - the CV6Z-18198-A Strut Bearing - which might explain why the TSB has proven less than effective.

Thanks again!
Old 09-18-2012, 09:25 AM   #1217
Uptcv1
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 88390
What I Drive: 2012 sonic blue SE sport DCT hatch

FF Reputation: 1 Uptcv1 Good Standing Member
Quote:
There were no immediately discernible differences between what I removed and what I installed, aside from quite a bit of slop in the original bearings. One of the bearings did separate when I removed it from the strut, but I feel that was attributed more to user error than total bearing failure itself.

The ST upper strut mounts themselves are slightly different, but just barely. Different part number stamped into the rubber, and the alignment notches are different. I didn't really get much of a chance to hold everything side by side and make a close comparison; I was crunched for time a bit since I had a friend giving me a hand and allowing me to use his lift.

I'll get some photos of the old strut bearings up tomorrow, but don't expect anything crazy. They appear fine, visually. I did look inside the one that came apart, and everything seemed normal. The grease was clean, even though it was a little less lubrication than I'd prefer, but nothing seemed bent or askew aside from several loose bearings that fell out.
First ST transfusion!
Looking forward to pics and drive review!
Old 09-18-2012, 10:12 AM   #1218
FordService
Official Ford Rep

Fan#: 79824
What I Drive: Ford Focus

FF Reputation: 18 FordService Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic_HedgeHog View Post
Where's Thomas? I lent him $10 and he hasn't paid me back...
Hi Sonic_HedgeHog,

Thomas is helping folks out on Twitter these days, but I'll be sure to pass your message along.

-Crystal

p: 800.392.FORD
t: @FordService @FordFocus @Ford
f: facebook.com/FordFocus facebook.com/Ford
Old 09-18-2012, 10:18 AM   #1219
FordService
Official Ford Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriksarnstrom View Post
Had the TSB done on Tuesday. Could definitely tell it was better. Slowly but surely the sound seems to be coming back. :(
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uptcv1 View Post
Went back to dealer as noise is back, they didnt even road test but just heard from outside while I was turning the steering wheel, dealer basically said we can order the TSB parts again...
Hi eriksarnstrom and Uptcv1:

I want to escalate both of you to your region's Customer Service Managers. They'll reach out to your individual dealers and resolve your concerns. Send me a PM with your VIN, mileage estimate, preferred servicing dealer and a good daytime contact number. I'll get the ball rolling!

Quote:
So, I've won the battle. My car is now CLUNK FREE.
WOOHOO! Thanks for updating us, Zillon. Glad to hear that things worked out!

-Crystal

Old 09-18-2012, 12:23 PM   #1220
FordService
Official Ford Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilsonfocus86 View Post
Oh no.......what did we do to poor ole Thomas. Must have scared him off. So far, no one can help with our problem. What are you going to do Crystal except be another "liaison" to CSM to our dealer then back to our CSM after our clunk returns then back to the CSM who says that they can replace the springs again, blah blah blah. It would be great if Ford would just step up, and not send you little pawns to deal with the unhappy owners.
Hi wilsonfocus86,

I can understand your frustration. I'm happy to step in and see how I can help you. Shoot me a PM with your details (VIN, mileage, preferred servicing dealer, and daytime phone number) and I'll start investigating.

Thanks,
-Crystal

Bookmarks & Social Networks