2012 Titanium Front Strut Low Speed Noise (Clunk/Rattle) - Page 117 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive

MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive The place to chat about TSB and Known Issues for the 2012 Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 09-08-2012, 08:23 PM   #1161
wilsonfocus86
Focus Addict

Fan#: 23099
What I Drive: 14 Fusion 2.0

FF Reputation: 3 wilsonfocus86 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Han.MK3 View Post
I too have had the clunk for like 10 months now. I'm just waiting for a permanent fix since I can't afford to lose my car for over a day for something that I know won't work.

I was under the car today building my custom exhaust and I didn't have good light but it looked like the front sway bar bushing was messed up. Any one know if that is a possibility for the clunk?

Sent from my PC36100 using FF Mobile
Anything is possible since they can't seem to "pin point" this issue. Seems too advanced for the boffins at Ford.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-10-2012, 06:19 AM   #1162
Boomertwo
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 96378
What I Drive: 2012 Ford Focus S

FF Reputation: 1 Boomertwo Good Standing Member
In 2 hours I'm dropping my car off at the ford dealership just down the road to have them replace the passenger side strut and bearings.

I took it in 2 weeks ago to make the third attempt to reproduce the issue and the tech finally put some chassis ears on the car. Even when we were on a road that was nice and smooth we could hear it plain as day through his device. I also spoke with the tech and he said that this issue could be just poor design but he wasn't too familiar with this problem yet but he already had another Focus waiting for him to do the same work on.

I'm so glad that this is under warranty but I hope this works. If this can't be fixed properly either through Ford or aftermarket parts then I may consider jumping ship before the warranty ends as I don't want to pay to replace these bearings every couple months. Don't get me wrong I'm sure they are pretty cheap to buy as aftermarket items however I just don't have the space or place to work on a car.

I'm all for breaking out the tools and getting my on if I was allowed to work on my car in the parking lot lol :)

Oh I also asked the tech if he could tear apart the driver said as well and check but he said he couldn't do that as the TSB said only to replace the parts that were defective. He did say that if I wanted him to do it I would have to pay out of pocket for it but I'm sure if he found evidence of it going bad or that the bearing was broken as well then the warranty would cover it.

I only see this as a gamble as if there is nothing wrong then I'm out of money but if there is then I'm not. I have no idea on how much they would charge me for that.
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-10-2012, 09:18 AM   #1163
gtncpa
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 86143
What I Drive: 2012 Black Titanium Hatch

Points 1,558, Level 22
Points: 1,558, Level: 22 Points: 1,558, Level: 22 Points: 1,558, Level: 22
Level Up 58% Completed
Level up: 58% Level up: 58% Level up: 58%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 2 gtncpa Good Standing Member
Got my car back Saturday ... no noise ... yet ... fingers crossed.
Old 09-10-2012, 01:54 PM   #1164
HRK1138
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 103676
What I Drive: 2012 Blue Candy SE Sport

FF Reputation: 1 HRK1138 Good Standing Member
After lurking in this thread and others, I'm finally posting.

We're so wary to bring our car in again for the 'oh all these cars make that noise' that I'm tempted just to bypass the dealer and order the FRPP suspension upgrade and two fresh bearings and throw those on the car. Our local dealership is horrid with customer service. (Perry Ford in San Luis Obispo)

But she's clunking worse than my old mini truck w/ the torsion bars turned down. :(
Old 09-10-2012, 02:46 PM   #1165
FordService
Official Ford Rep

Fan#: 79824
What I Drive: Ford Focus

Points 3,284, Level 35
Points: 3,284, Level: 35 Points: 3,284, Level: 35 Points: 3,284, Level: 35
Level Up 56% Completed
Level up: 56% Level up: 56% Level up: 56%
Forum Activity 18%
Activity: 18% Activity: 18% Activity: 18%
FF Reputation: 18 FordService Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by JNBradow View Post
Thomas...The parts are in and I am going to take the car in on Thursday.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic_HedgeHog View Post
Car is back in my possession but I'm at work til eleven... We'll see if it worked or not. I didn't get a copy of the paperwork cause my advisor said he was keeping the ticket open for a couple days in case something isn't to my liking...
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtncpa View Post
Got my car back Saturday ... no noise ... yet ... fingers crossed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomertwo View Post
In 2 hours I'm dropping my car off at the ford dealership just down the road to have them replace the passenger side strut and bearings.

I took it in 2 weeks ago to make the third attempt to reproduce the issue and the tech finally put some chassis ears on the car. Even when we were on a road that was nice and smooth we could hear it plain as day through his device. I also spoke with the tech and he said that this issue could be just poor design but he wasn't too familiar with this problem yet but he already had another Focus waiting for him to do the same work on...
Excellent news; please let me know how it turns out for all of you! I hope there will be no clunk in your future travels.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shantheman2012 View Post
I stopped back by my dealer today and talked to the service manager. I wanted to inform him the TSB only fixed the issue for about two weeks. He seemed surprised to hear it, but when he realized I wasn't trying to get him to fix it 'again'...(i told him I'd be patient for a bit and see if Ford addresses this once and for all) he told me to call the Ford 800# and tell them about my experience.

I called and they took the information and even called my dealer to verify the TSB had been done...
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilsonfocus86 View Post
Exactly. When I told my CSM that I could hear the noise back, he asked if I wanted to "Bring it in to have the springs changed out again", I said No. I'll just wait, again, to see if anything further progresses on Ford's side...
If you haven't sent your VIN to me by PM, please do so at your earliest convenience. I'll document all relevant information concerning this suspension noise for further review.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Han.MK3 View Post
I too have had the clunk for like 10 months now. I'm just waiting for a permanent fix since I can't afford to lose my car for over a day for something that I know won't work...
Quote:
Originally Posted by HRK1138 View Post
...We're so wary to bring our car in again for the 'oh all these cars make that noise' that I'm tempted just to bypass the dealer and order the FRPP suspension upgrade and two fresh bearings and throw those on the car. Our local dealership is horrid with customer service. (Perry Ford in San Luis Obispo)

But she's clunking worse than my old mini truck w/ the torsion bars turned down. :(
Are your Customer Service Managers involved with this? If not, please PM me your VIN, mileage, phone number, and dealer info; I'll forward these details to them immediately.

Thomas

p: 800.392.FORD
t: @FordService @FordFocus @Ford
f: facebook.com/FordServiceUS facebook.com/FordFocus

M - F 11 a.m. - 8 p.m. ET | Send a PM? Pls allow 2 business days for reply
Old 09-10-2012, 05:04 PM   #1166
TiPilot
Focus Addict

Fan#: 93667
What I Drive: 2012 Ingot Silver Ti Hatch

FF Reputation: 1 TiPilot Good Standing Member
My car was in for the fix about two weeks ago now. So far, the clunking hasn't returned, though I only ever noticed it when turning at very slow speeds - like wheel full over, in a parking lot or turning into my driveway. So, at least so far, good news from me...

Dec '11 build, Ti, no handling package, standard 17" ContiPro tires.

Now if I could just get Ford to fix all the other, much more annoying, squeaks and rattles!

Build Date: 12/2/2011 | New APIM: 4/4/2012
MFT: Factory v2.11, 3/14/12 Web -> v3.0.2, 9/24/12 Web -> v3.2.2, 1/24/13 Web -> v3.5.1, 8/13/13 Web -> v3.6
Old 09-10-2012, 09:27 PM   #1167
slow3v
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 101709
What I Drive: 2012 Sterling Gray Focus SE MTX

FF Reputation: 1 slow3v Good Standing Member
I have this very annoying rattle up front now as well. It's VERY noticeable while braking (slowing to a stop) on rough pavement.

The only thing that worries me, is my car isn't covered under the TSB - it's a newer build date than the TSB specifies. I feel like I'm going to have difficulty with the dealer & covering it or even looking at it seriously. Once it goes in for its first oil change in about 1k more (bringing me to ~4400 mi) I'm going to mention it. Any tips on bringing it up?
Old 09-10-2012, 10:33 PM   #1168
Shantheman2012
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 98655
What I Drive: Fmr: 2012 Ti Sedan Now: '13 Taurus

FF Reputation: 2 Shantheman2012 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by TiPilot View Post
My car was in for the fix about two weeks ago now. So far, the clunking hasn't returned, though I only ever noticed it when turning at very slow speeds - like wheel full over, in a parking lot or turning into my driveway. So, at least so far, good news from me...

Dec '11 build, Ti, no handling package, standard 17" ContiPro tires.

Now if I could just get Ford to fix all the other, much more annoying, squeaks and rattles!
Glad to hear it hasn't returned. I took mine on a 1000 mile trip the next day after having mine done...and on some pretty rough city roads too. My theory is I just accelerated the return of the clunk. It might have lasted longer if I didn't go.

You have other rattle issues? I haven't noticed any others yet. Those type of things usually drive me nuts too.
Old 09-10-2012, 10:53 PM   #1169
TiPilot
Focus Addict

Fan#: 93667
What I Drive: 2012 Ingot Silver Ti Hatch

FF Reputation: 1 TiPilot Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shantheman2012 View Post
Glad to hear it hasn't returned. I took mine on a 1000 mile trip the next day after having mine done...and on some pretty rough city roads too. My theory is I just accelerated the return of the clunk. It might have lasted longer if I didn't go.

You have other rattle issues? I haven't noticed any others yet. Those type of things usually drive me nuts too.
Yea, I've driven 500 or so miles since the fix - we drove up to MI about two dats after the fix. So far, so good... but mine wasn't terrible in the first place. I just noticed some clunking pulling into my driveway one day and then saw the TSB stuff and figured I might as well have them fix it.

The other rattles - yeah, like the creaking headliner/console, something near the A-pillars that's become more noticeable with miles, and one in the right passenger door that's outside (it varies with speed) that's existed since I bought the car. Over 10K miles now and still no fix even though Ford acknowledges that it exists!

Build Date: 12/2/2011 | New APIM: 4/4/2012
MFT: Factory v2.11, 3/14/12 Web -> v3.0.2, 9/24/12 Web -> v3.2.2, 1/24/13 Web -> v3.5.1, 8/13/13 Web -> v3.6
Old 09-11-2012, 04:30 PM   #1170
killjoy
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 100911
What I Drive: 2012 Plat. White Focus HB

FF Reputation: 1 killjoy Good Standing Member
Returned the Ford to the dealer again to fix the noise. Tech says he hears nothing and I need to take off work to ride with him and point it out.

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.