2012 Titanium Front Strut Low Speed Noise (Clunk/Rattle) - Page 114 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive

MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive The place to chat about TSB and Known Issues for the 2012 Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 09-02-2012, 09:26 PM   #1131
wilsonfocus86
Focus Addict

Fan#: 23099
What I Drive: 14 Fusion 2.0

FF Reputation: 3 wilsonfocus86 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JNBradow View Post
I have the same problem as everybody else. A clunk that drives me crazy and the parts are on backorder. What I really would like to know is this a safety concern? Will the clunk get worse until the wheel falls off? Does the wheel need to fall off for Ford to fix the issue?
Short answer, No. It is not a safety issue. They will tell that to your face if/when you take your car in. The only thing I can respond with is no, the wheel won't fall off. I think for them to do anything will be the day when all our cars' struts collapse, THEN it will be a safety issue when we all loose control of our cars and Ford is all over the news, again. Lol.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-02-2012, 09:46 PM   #1132
JNBradow
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 103140
What I Drive: 2012 Ford Focus Titanium

FF Reputation: 1 JNBradow Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilsonfocus86 View Post
Short answer, No. It is not a safety issue. They will tell that to your face if/when you take your car in. The only thing I can respond with is no, the wheel won't fall off. I think for them to do anything will be the day when all our cars' struts collapse, THEN it will be a safety issue when we all loose control of our cars and Ford is all over the news, again. Lol.
Thanks for the info. I did take my car in and they did hear the clunk and did tell me they have never had a focus with this issue. It is frustrating that 1) its a new car (2200 miles) 2) Ford seems none to worried their cars are broken 3) I don't have enough money to pay off the loan and trade it in for a GM, Honda, or Toyota...HA!
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-03-2012, 09:45 AM   #1133
Shantheman2012
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 98655
What I Drive: Fmr: 2012 Ti Sedan Now: '13 Taurus

FF Reputation: 2 Shantheman2012 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAD916 View Post
500 miles with my Ksport Coliovers and they are silent.... haven't bothered to look closer at the stock stuff that is in a box in my garage but will this weekend I'll be curious to see if there are any tell tale signs of blown struts or sloppy bearings???
I'm wondering the status of any noise with your ksport coilovers?

If this turns out to be a solution that we have to pay for out of pocket for since Ford hasn't (cant, wont...) figured it out yet...I'm willing to ante up the money and never think about this dumb clunk again.
Old 09-03-2012, 10:26 AM   #1134
klotche
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 91834
What I Drive: 2012, Oxford white, Focus

Points 3,979, Level 40
Points: 3,979, Level: 40 Points: 3,979, Level: 40 Points: 3,979, Level: 40
Level Up 15% Completed
Level up: 15% Level up: 15% Level up: 15%
Forum Activity 6%
Activity: 6% Activity: 6% Activity: 6%
FF Reputation: 3 klotche Good Standing Member
I have the same issue, I thought it was the motor support that isn't tight enough.. probably when the car lurch or when you brake etc. it might make the engine clunk
Old 09-03-2012, 10:30 AM   #1135
klotche
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 91834
What I Drive: 2012, Oxford white, Focus

Points 3,979, Level 40
Points: 3,979, Level: 40 Points: 3,979, Level: 40 Points: 3,979, Level: 40
Level Up 15% Completed
Level up: 15% Level up: 15% Level up: 15%
Forum Activity 6%
Activity: 6% Activity: 6% Activity: 6%
FF Reputation: 3 klotche Good Standing Member
It is driving me crazy. love my car, but this make me think I should have buy something else. btw I have a SE sedan
Old 09-03-2012, 11:39 AM   #1136
MAD916
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 102048
What I Drive: 2012 Candy Red SE

FF Reputation: 1 MAD916 Good Standing Member
1000 plus miles with the Ksports and they are silent..... the ride is pretty good on most any normal road bumps, but can be a tad harsh on the largest pot holes etc... I hit one last week and it surprised me. the only issue is I am still waiting on a new rear spring perch since the rear springs are a bit too short, and Ksport USA has kind of been a bitch to work with. They swear that they have never had an issue but we have the adjuster MAXED out and it is still too low in the back for my likening. the
Stock Rear springs are like 15" long the ones that Ksport supplied are like 9" before installed and like 7" on the car. sooo until Ksport stopped blaming my 17" rims or the offset of the rims I'm not sure I would recommend them.. the ride is great the noise is gone but the customer service rep's are as weak as some of the service rep's at the dealers we are all working with... I'll update more this week and get some photos up as soon as I can... the car looks great with the OZ wheels and the lower stance.
Old 09-03-2012, 08:20 PM   #1137
Shantheman2012
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAD916 View Post
1000 plus miles with the Ksports and they are silent..... the ride is pretty good on most any normal road bumps, but can be a tad harsh on the largest pot holes etc... I hit one last week and it surprised me. the only issue is I am still waiting on a new rear spring perch since the rear springs are a bit too short, and Ksport USA has kind of been a bitch to work with. They swear that they have never had an issue but we have the adjuster MAXED out and it is still too low in the back for my likening. the
Stock Rear springs are like 15" long the ones that Ksport supplied are like 9" before installed and like 7" on the car. sooo until Ksport stopped blaming my 17" rims or the offset of the rims I'm not sure I would recommend them.. the ride is great the noise is gone but the customer service rep's are as weak as some of the service rep's at the dealers we are all working with... I'll update more this week and get some photos up as soon as I can... the car looks great with the OZ wheels and the lower stance.
Thanks for quick reply!
Two more questions...how much lower does the front end sit with the ksports? I have the 18" rims and handling package so I wonder about clearances. And about how much did u pay?
Old 09-04-2012, 12:47 AM   #1138
MAD916
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 102048
What I Drive: 2012 Candy Red SE

FF Reputation: 1 MAD916 Good Standing Member
The front has a nice range of ride height adjustment current have about a 1.5" clearance above the tire, and the adjustment on the strut is in the middle of its range so I don't see any problem from the stock 16" rims i replaced up thru a 18" rim.

I paid approx $900 for the set and $275 for the install, just wish the rear spring issue didn't surface, I'd be a total happy camper, we will see I should have a solution by the end of the week. if not I'm just going to cut down my stock springs....
Old 09-04-2012, 04:37 PM   #1139
HornedFrog05
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 97892
What I Drive: 2013 Tuxedo Black ST2

FF Reputation: 6 HornedFrog05 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Reading through all the pages of people having issues is really disheartening. I'm wondering at what point all these vehicles can be considered "lemons"? In Texas, I believe the dealership gets 3 tries to fix an issue and after it's not repaired it should "technically" be considered a "Lemon." Does it have to be a safety issue to qualify? It seems to be that a suspension issue should be somewhat dangerous.

I must say, I hate this car. I can't get into it without something making a noise: headliner, air vents, sunglasses holder, etc. I should have bought a cash car because then at least the rattles would be warranted.
Old 09-04-2012, 09:02 PM   #1140
Shantheman2012
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by HornedFrog05 View Post
Reading through all the pages of people having issues is really disheartening. I'm wondering at what point all these vehicles can be considered "lemons"? In Texas, I believe the dealership gets 3 tries to fix an issue and after it's not repaired it should "technically" be considered a "Lemon." Does it have to be a safety issue to qualify? It seems to be that a suspension issue should be somewhat dangerous.

I must say, I hate this car. I can't get into it without something making a noise: headliner, air vents, sunglasses holder, etc. I should have bought a cash car because then at least the rattles would be warranted.
Im sorry your experience hasn't been positive. I actually love the car aside from this and the weird MFT at times. (but it still sounds awesome)

I'm just hoping Ford gets their act together on this.

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.