2012 Titanium Front Strut Low Speed Noise (Clunk/Rattle) - Page 11 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive

MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive The place to chat about TSB and Known Issues for the 2012 Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 04-09-2012, 08:34 PM   #101
Zillon
Focus Addict

Fan#: 17393
What I Drive: '13 GTI

FF Reputation: 27 Zillon Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Keep us posted, especially if it's an easy DIY fix.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-11-2012, 02:18 AM   #102
SD Focus1
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 97565
What I Drive: 2012 Silver Titanium Hatchback

FF Reputation: 1 SD Focus1 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
I am having the same problem with mine. It is from the front right wheel area, clunking/knocking noises at low speeds. First time the dealer machined the rotor, thinking it was a brake issue. So I took it back today for a moonroof leak (during rain) and the knocking issue. They gave me a 2012 SEL Sedan as a loaner. So far I have not heard the knocking noise on the loaner.
Old 04-11-2012, 08:17 AM   #103
gtncpa
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 86143
What I Drive: 2012 Black Titanium Hatch

FF Reputation: 2 gtncpa Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by flygry1 View Post
The mount was defective. It was found only after struts were replaced. It stumped all the mechanics so they had a guy from detroit diagnose. He held the brakes while rocking it back and forth and found a lot of play. Ford should know they have a problem with some of these.
I am bringing mine in for the noise again. I will have them check the motor mount. Thx for the info
Old 04-11-2012, 08:25 AM   #104
gtncpa
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 86143
What I Drive: 2012 Black Titanium Hatch

FF Reputation: 2 gtncpa Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brabs_Weather View Post
From what another focus Owner said was the noise was from the lower control arm. There was no grease from the factory and the noise was gone. I have not seen any post about the problem since.

It was screen name: bobakman
Interesting ... well after I took my car in 3 months ago the sound has not stopped. But when I took my snow tires off a few weeks ago I noticed the inside of the front driver rim was covered in grease. I am thinking they squirted a bunch of grease in a grease fitting and it is overflowing. (I did not know cars had grease fittings anymore.) I am not really sure but I am bringing my car back soon.
Old 04-11-2012, 02:52 PM   #105
Brabs_Weather
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 93741
What I Drive: 04 Ex Ltd, 08 Edge Ltd, 12 FF Ti

FF Reputation: 2 Brabs_Weather Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtncpa View Post
Interesting ... well after I took my car in 3 months ago the sound has not stopped. But when I took my snow tires off a few weeks ago I noticed the inside of the front driver rim was covered in grease. I am thinking they squirted a bunch of grease in a grease fitting and it is overflowing. (I did not know cars had grease fittings anymore.) I am not really sure but I am bringing my car back soon.
I read that a while back and have not heard of him having any more noise either. I think it was few pages back. he provided pics too.

In general people should read through the OP post before posting. Saves time and you don't look like morons.
Borla Exhaust with UltraQuiet resonator
K&N X-4870. Steeda RSB
Old 04-11-2012, 03:03 PM   #106
Lipshurt
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 92314
What I Drive: 2012 blue focus SE

FF Reputation: 2 Lipshurt Good Standing Member
I poked around a bit but with the car sitting on the wheels, not on a lift.

I may have found the main rattle....

It could be the plastic liner inside the wheel well. If you flick your finger on it I makes he rattling sound. I insulated each side with some rubber, and I believe it is for sure much better. I did it two days ago, and still feels like its vastly improved. Occasionally I will hear what sounds like the very beginning of he rattle sound, but it does not have any sustained sound.

I also adjusted the hood, and insulated the hood, because it also made the same rattling sound if you tapped certain ways. I did not notice anything from that tough.

I will live with this for a while and update in a few more days. Crossing my fingers:)
Old 04-11-2012, 03:04 PM   #107
jpaul
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 89908
What I Drive: 2012 Sterling Gray Focus Titanium

FF Reputation: 1 jpaul Good Standing Member
Had mine in to the dealer today for this problem. Its in the computer from ford. Changed springs and both front shocks and it seems to be ok.
Old 04-11-2012, 03:08 PM   #108
jpaul
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 89908
What I Drive: 2012 Sterling Gray Focus Titanium

FF Reputation: 1 jpaul Good Standing Member
I just had mine fixed today at the dealer. Its in the computer. Change both front shocks and springs and its fixed. Mine seems to be good now I just picked it up today.

Last edited by jpaul; 04-12-2012 at 03:37 PM.
Old 04-12-2012, 01:09 AM   #109
OreFocus
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 97605
What I Drive: 2012, Red, Focus Titanium

FF Reputation: 1 OreFocus Good Standing Member
Approaching 7500 mi and I've just started noticing the same rattle/clunking sound coming from the driver's side front area at low speeds.
Old 04-12-2012, 02:52 PM   #110
FordService
Official Ford Rep

Fan#: 79824
What I Drive: Ford Focus

FF Reputation: 18 FordService Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lipshurt View Post
So I am here at north county ford in vista ca, getting my first oil change, and to have them fix the rattle.
Sure enough the guy says that he can't reproduce the sound...
Hey Lipshurt,

Iím available to help by arranging a call from the Customer Service Manager in your area. For me to lend a hand, please send a PM with your contact information, dealer name/state, approximate mileage, and the VIN.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD Focus1 View Post
I am having the same problem with mine. It is from the front right wheel area, clunking/knocking noises at low speeds. First time the dealer machined the rotor...
Quote:
Originally Posted by OreFocus View Post
Approaching 7500 mi and I've just started noticing the same rattle/clunking sound coming from the driver's side front area at low speeds.
Hi SD Focus1 & OreFocus,

Please make an appointment with your dealer and PM me with your VIN, dealer, mileage, full name, and best daytime number so I can get this escalated to the Customer Service Manager for your area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtncpa View Post
I am bringing mine in for the noise again. I will have them check the motor mount. Thx for the info
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpaul View Post
Had mine in to the dealer today for this problem...
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpaul View Post
I just had mine fixed today at the dealer...Mine seems to be good now I just picked it up today.
Hello gtncpa & jpaul

A visit to the local Ford dealer is a first great step.

In the event further assistance is needed, please send a PM with your contact information, dealer name/state, approximate mileage, and the VIN.

Have a good evening all!

Noemi

p: 800.392.FORD
t: @FordService @FordFocus @Ford
f: facebook.com/FordFocus facebook.com/Ford

Bookmarks & Social Networks