2012 Titanium Front Strut Low Speed Noise (Clunk/Rattle) - Page 109 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive

MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive The place to chat about TSB and Known Issues for the 2012 Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 08-29-2012, 10:18 AM   #1081
dyn085
That Guy

Fan#: 98047
What I Drive: 2014 FiST/FoST

Points 23,823, Level 94
Points: 23,823, Level: 94 Points: 23,823, Level: 94 Points: 23,823, Level: 94
Level Up 48% Completed
Level up: 48% Level up: 48% Level up: 48%
Forum Activity 11%
Activity: 11% Activity: 11% Activity: 11%
FF Reputation: 49 dyn085 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
I took a quick look at his suspension before he pulled out for lunch-he definitely has the mass damper and has a 6/12 build date. I didn't try to compare his to mine, just checked for presence.

I will probably pull my struts this weekend, time permitting after dyno runs, to replace my bearings. I will take a closer look at everything while it is apart, to include the mass damper.
2014 FiST-
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-29-2012, 10:24 AM   #1082
TboneZX3
Ford Fiend

Fan#: 90494
What I Drive: '12 SE Sport, '01 ZX3, '67 Bronco

Points 1,277, Level 19
Points: 1,277, Level: 19 Points: 1,277, Level: 19 Points: 1,277, Level: 19
Level Up 77% Completed
Level up: 77% Level up: 77% Level up: 77%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 10 TboneZX3 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dyn085 View Post
I took a quick look at his suspension before he pulled out for lunch-he definitely has the mass damper and has a 6/12 build date.
I forget... Do you have the handling suspension, or base Ti "touring" suspension?

If the mass damper still exists on the base Ti "touring" suspension as late as 6/12, that would mostly confirm the suspicion that the SE Sport suspension was "de-contented" mid-year and likely shared struts with the normal S/SE/SEL suspension after that point.
Hatch Nation #90
'12 SE Sport 5Dr |╠╬╝|Sterling Grey Metallic|203a|Moonroof|17" Paint/Mach Whls|K&N 57S-4000|FFE RMM|Steeda STB, RSB|JBR bushings
'01 ZX3|╠╬╝|Pitch Black|Prem. pkg.|Moonroof|SVT Snorkel|SVT Springs|S2 Dampers|Steeda STS|Magnaflow exh.
Old 08-29-2012, 10:34 AM   #1083
DougC
Focus Addict

Fan#: 86547
What I Drive: The biggest mistake I've ever made.

FF Reputation: 1 DougC Good Standing Member
Well, my dealer replaced my left strut and strut bearing Monday morning.... so far, so good.

Of course, the right front still makes as much noise as ever. Guess I'll have them "check it out" and press them to replace it when I drop my car off next Friday to have the damage they caused to all four of my wheels "repaired".

The issues that have popped up and the way my dealer has handled them, as well as the damage they have inflicted on my car, has made my "ownership experience" a total nightmare! To say that my dealership has treated my car much the way a baby treats a diaper is not an exaggeration. It's a damn shame too because I really like the car.
Old 08-29-2012, 10:47 AM   #1084
dyn085
That Guy

Points 23,823, Level 94
Level Up 48% Completed
Forum Activity 11%
Quote:
Originally Posted by TboneZX3 View Post
So, I forget... Do you have the handling suspension, or base Ti "touring" suspension?
Both I and the guy at work have Handling Suspensions. Mine is a 2/12 Job 1.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougC View Post
Well, my dealer replaced my left strut and strut bearing Monday morning.... so far, so good.

Of course the right front still makes as much nosie as ever. Guess I'll have them "check it out" and press them to replace it when I drop my car off next Friday to have the damage they caused to all four of my wheels "repaired".

Between all the issues that have popped up, and maybe more so the way my dealer has handled them and damaged my car, my "ownership experience" has been a total nightmare! It's a damn shame too because I really like the car.
This is almost exactly how mine happened. I made quite a few trips, though they were trying to get things fixed and I was really happy with them. After replacing my left side, I told my service guy that the noise was still present on the right but that I didn't have any more time available to take off of work and that it would have to wait.

Sometime in June I decides to drop my car with the Pro-Kit springs, on the assumption that my previous documentation would remind them that I had the problem before and that they would fix the clunk. I even called to ask/verify and personally spoke to the Service rep before ever bringing in my car back in. After I brought it in, they essentiallt wasted 3 more hours of my life (aggravating story). Never again. If it isn't a safety issue, I have no desire to bring my car back for anything other than my free (paid for) oil changes and tire rotation.
2014 FiST-
Old 08-29-2012, 10:49 AM   #1085
TboneZX3
Ford Fiend

Points 1,277, Level 19
Level Up 77% Completed
Forum Activity 0%
Quote:
Both I and the guy at work have Handling Suspensions. Mine is a 2/12 Job 1.
OK, that would not necessarily support my previously-stated theory, then.

I would be curious to see how many owners that are having noise issues have the mass damper. Of course, it might be totally unrelated.
Hatch Nation #90
'12 SE Sport 5Dr |╠╬╝|Sterling Grey Metallic|203a|Moonroof|17" Paint/Mach Whls|K&N 57S-4000|FFE RMM|Steeda STB, RSB|JBR bushings
'01 ZX3|╠╬╝|Pitch Black|Prem. pkg.|Moonroof|SVT Snorkel|SVT Springs|S2 Dampers|Steeda STS|Magnaflow exh.
Old 08-29-2012, 10:57 AM   #1086
dyn085
That Guy

Points 23,823, Level 94
Level Up 48% Completed
Forum Activity 11%
Well, not necessarily. He thinks he may be developing the clunk, but he's a bit less automotively inclined, so he's not exactly sure yet... I hope, for his sake, that its just psychosomatic.
2014 FiST-
Old 08-29-2012, 10:59 AM   #1087
Timthom62
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 97579
What I Drive: 2012 Red Candy 5-Door SEL 303A

Points 2,699, Level 31
Points: 2,699, Level: 31 Points: 2,699, Level: 31 Points: 2,699, Level: 31
Level Up 66% Completed
Level up: 66% Level up: 66% Level up: 66%
Forum Activity 1%
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%
FF Reputation: 5 Timthom62 Good Standing Member
Quote:
I would be curious to see how many owners that are having noise issues have the mass damper. Of course, it might be totally unrelated.
Our SE Sport, built 9/13/11 and clunking on both sides, has the mass dampers.
Old 08-29-2012, 11:20 AM   #1088
TboneZX3
Ford Fiend

Points 1,277, Level 19
Level Up 77% Completed
Forum Activity 0%
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timthom62 View Post
Does your SEL have the mass dampers?
Hatch Nation #90
Old 08-29-2012, 12:02 PM   #1089
Timthom62
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 97579
What I Drive: 2012 Red Candy 5-Door SEL 303A

Points 2,699, Level 31
Points: 2,699, Level: 31 Points: 2,699, Level: 31 Points: 2,699, Level: 31
Level Up 66% Completed
Level up: 66% Level up: 66% Level up: 66%
Forum Activity 1%
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%
FF Reputation: 5 Timthom62 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Does your SEL have the mass dampers?
I just checked and the SEL does have the mass dampers. Built 02/27/12 and no clunk or rattle at all.

According the the diagrams on Fordparts.com, the part number of the damper is 3F690 and there doesn't appear to be any "built before" or "built after" dates associated with it.

I remember reading somewhere that they were there to dampen a resonant vibration in the strut, but it's not unreasonable to wonder if the off-center mass might have unintended consequences. A probability? Maybe not. A possibility? Sure.

If nothing else, it might be a contributing factor to an issue that actually is a result of several small problems rather than one 'smoking gun' problem.
Old 08-29-2012, 01:02 PM   #1090
FordService
Official Ford Rep

Fan#: 79824
What I Drive: Ford Focus

Points 3,154, Level 34
Points: 3,154, Level: 34 Points: 3,154, Level: 34 Points: 3,154, Level: 34
Level Up 70% Completed
Level up: 70% Level up: 70% Level up: 70%
Forum Activity 17%
Activity: 17% Activity: 17% Activity: 17%
FF Reputation: 18 FordService Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zillon View Post
Ford.

I'm also waiting on the strut bearings to come off of backorder so I can place an order, but that's going to be a while.

[edit] Just got off the phone with Tousley - parts should be shipping today/tomorrow, but strut bearings are still backordered until 9/15.
This is a little over two weeks away. If it takes anymore time, please PM me your VIN, mileage, phone number, and dealer info; I'll have your Customer Service Manager look into the parts delay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hand-filer View Post
...We would be better served if you forward the negative comments to Ford corporate!
I am Ford corporate; I'm documenting every possible issue. If you'd like, go here to submit product feedback too: https://secure.corporate.ford.com/fo...rdMotorCompany.

Quote:
I would've had the dealership do it, but despite documentation showing that I had the clunk prior, they won't touch the car now that I've installed aftermarket springs. It's not really a big deal to me anymore as I have access to a shop.
Understood; please keep us all in the know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilsonfocus86 View Post
Yup, you're right, I've only driven 20 miles since getting the TSB done a month ago. You're a genius. NO. Only after about 20 miles I could hear the clunk from some pretty good sized curbs. It's still there, so no, Ford hasn't clearly fixed this issue completely. And my CSM said, "Oh, well, we can replace the springs again". Yeah, that clunk is cleaaaaaarly the springs. What planet are you on? I know you are here to "brighten up the moods" of the lot of us who are very unhappy with this seemingly simple issue. Seriously though, you waaaaaaay overplay it sometimes to the point where it's just childish and ridiculous bro . Again, a lot of us with our previous Focus cars, have NEVER had this problem before. My 2001 Ford Focus SE sedan with 166,000 miles was as quiet as a sleeping baby , these new cars, aren't.
Apologies; sometimes the context gets lost in translation. Not only am I monitoring this forum (and own a 2012 Focus to boot), but I'm also giving my word and backing it up with action. Did your CSM provide you with his/her phone number?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcarlilesiu View Post
I just had my car at the dealer for some recall fixes and told them about the problem. The service adviser said it was probably the lower control arm, then called me today and said it was the strut & bearing...

...He put me in for 2 and said when they arrive he will call me to come in. He doesn't know when the redesigned ones will hit the parts counter yet.
I'll escalate this with your regional Customer Service Manager; please PM me your VIN, mileage, phone number, and dealer info. How long have you noticed the front-end noise?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougC View Post

Of course, the right front still makes as much noise as ever. Guess I'll have them "check it out" and press them to replace it when I drop my car off next Friday to have the damage they caused to all four of my wheels "repaired".

The issues that have popped up and the way my dealer has handled them, as well as the damage they have inflicted on my car, has made my "ownership experience" a total nightmare! To say that my dealership has treated my car much the way a baby treats a diaper is not an exaggeration. It's a damn shame too because I really like the car.
Holy cow; all four of your wheels got damaged? Please drop me a PM with your VIN, mileage, phone number, and dealer name; I'll document your feedback. The wheels need to gleam and the front-end needs to be silent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timthom62 View Post
I don't believe I received a PM from you about this. Please shoot me one (include your VIN, mileage, phone number, and dealer name) and I'll loop in your area's Customer Service Manager.

Thomas

p: 800.392.FORD
t: @FordService @FordFocus @Ford
f: facebook.com/FordServiceUS facebook.com/FordFocus

M - F 11 a.m. - 8 p.m. ET | Send a PM? Pls allow 2 business days for reply

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.