2012 Titanium Front Strut Low Speed Noise (Clunk/Rattle) - Page 105 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive

MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive The place to chat about TSB and Known Issues for the 2012 Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 08-27-2012, 08:10 AM   #1041
jrn146
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 275
What I Drive: 2012 Candy Red SE 5 door 5 speed

FF Reputation: 1 jrn146 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Ford doesn't seem the least bit interested in fixing this problem. How many people need to complaint before something is done? This isn't rocket science. The old models didn't clunk. Can't they go back to that style bearing/strut assembly?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-27-2012, 08:25 AM   #1042
Timthom62
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 97579
What I Drive: 2012 Red Candy 5-Door SEL 303A

FF Reputation: 5 Timthom62 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrn146 View Post
Ford doesn't seem the least bit interested in fixing this problem...
I don't know that I'd say that. They've issued Two TSBs (that I'm aware of), changed the design of some of the parts involved (or so I'm told), and changed a lot of parts on a lot of cars. The process is still ongoing.

We have a clunk/rattle from both front struts on our SE, and had held out hope for the latest TSB to be the final fix. They're not quite there yet, but as the service manager at our dealer told me Friday, they're still working toward a final fix.

You might argue that the money could have been better spent on the design in the first place, but hindsight is 20/20. You could argue that they should have resolved it by now, because as you noted it isn't rocket science. It is, however, a bit unfair to say that they're not interested.
Old 08-27-2012, 10:43 AM   #1043
jrn146
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 275
What I Drive: 2012 Candy Red SE 5 door 5 speed

FF Reputation: 1 jrn146 Good Standing Member
Tim, I get what you're saying but the TSB's aren't addressing the clunk. They're for grinding/moaning noise but they happened to fix some peoples clunks, at least temporarily. They are still saying the clunk is a "normal" noise and until Ford says otherwise the dealers, at least mine, won't do any more. That sounds to me like they aren't acknowledging the clunk as a problem at this time.
Old 08-27-2012, 11:16 AM   #1044
FordService
Official Ford Rep

Fan#: 79824
What I Drive: Ford Focus

FF Reputation: 18 FordService Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogma_not View Post
I am one of those posters here. Ford lubed the strut jounce bumpers on July 25 and so far the noise hasn't returned. I was skeptical that lube was a fix, but I suggest some others try it and see what happens. Nothing to lose.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcbbas View Post
So had my car in for service yesterday for this problem. They replaced basically everything on both sides. As of right now the sound is completely gone. On my invoice it said something about a TSB. I dont have the paper on me right now so I dont know the TSB number or date. Will post later when I get off work. Just glad to not hear the sound that my 14 year old car had...
Quote:
Originally Posted by me.awesome View Post
So just got mine back from getting the cluck fixed along with a bunch of other things. First i gotta say the dealership i went too was absolutely FANTASTIC. Even though some of my problems, vibrations, weren't fixed fully, they are defiantly better, plus they said to bring it back if there are more and were super supportive of me bringing it back. Anywho, they looked at the struts using the TSB and come to find out that one of my strut bearings WAS BROKEN IN HALF. They said this was the first time they've seen that happen. But i am so glad i brought it in now.
They also fixed a bunch of other TSBs and the car is so much better. Got the highway drift, and the clutch imbalance issues figured out. So glad i took it to my current dealer, just awesome!
You three are clunk-free! If any of you would like to submit positive feedback, please PM me your VIN, mileage, phone number, and name of dealer; I'll make sure the Customer Service Managers recognize that your service departments went above and beyond the call of duty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiPilot View Post
Apparently it really did change things. She called today and said the parts will be at the dealer tomorrow or Monday.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic_HedgeHog View Post
Mine has always and only been the passenger side
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisRyan View Post
I have a 7am appointment tomorrow at the dealer. The first dealer I called was useless and didn't want to look at the car. So the next one I called was very quick about making an appointment. Anyways I hope I can get some resolution soon.
Quote:
Originally Posted by revhigh View Post
My parts are finally in (took about a month), and my car goes in Tuesday for the fix. My dealer has been fantastic. I went in WITHOUT an appointment to have them hear the noise. I drove around the building with the service manager to demonstrate it (it took all of about 20 feet, and he heard it) finished driving around the building, and he wrote me up and ordered the parts.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lipshurt View Post
Well after two weeks, my clunks and rattle are pretty much raging in full force. At least when the temp gets to about 68 degrees. This morning it was 63 degrees, and it was falling apart.

I emailed Paul worrall, service manager at heller ford in escondido a couple of times. No reply yet. He was very confident and said this problem is "not rocket science" etc.

I also talked to "Brian" my regional service rep and tried to get the name of someone above him to talk to. He said that he is the highest level person that is allowed to talk with customers...
Quote:
Originally Posted by killjoy View Post
I guess add another for the noise...They had the part in stock quick but they are waiting for a separate part (c-channel for front passenger seat) to come off back-order 8/25.
Quote:
Originally Posted by knightp25 View Post
...the 2012 model is JUNK. mine also makes the clunking sound, and i hate like he** to get a brand new car taken apart to get fixed already. This is only one of a couple of problems i am experiencing...
Keep us all updated on the end results. If you'd like, please PM me your VIN, mileage, phone number, and dealer name; I'll have your regional Customer Service Managers grab each bull by the horns.

Quote:
Ford doesn't seem the least bit interested in fixing this problem. How many people need to complaint before something is done? This isn't rocket science. The old models didn't clunk. Can't they go back to that style bearing/strut assembly?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timthom62 View Post
I don't know that I'd say that. They've issued Two TSBs (that I'm aware of), changed the design of some of the parts involved (or so I'm told), and changed a lot of parts on a lot of cars. The process is still ongoing.

We have a clunk/rattle from both front struts on our SE, and had held out hope for the latest TSB to be the final fix. They're not quite there yet, but as the service manager at our dealer told me Friday, they're still working toward a final fix...
Our Customer Relationship Center and tech hotlines are proactively documenting all feedback concerning this suspension clunk; all of us are doing our parts and then some. Since it's a completely different build, the old style may not suffice. Are you guys currently working with your Customer Service Managers? If not, please PM me your VIN, mileage, phone number, and dealer name; I'll get them involved.

Thomas

p: 800.392.FORD
t: @FordService @FordFocus @Ford
f: facebook.com/FordServiceUS facebook.com/FordFocus

M - F 11 a.m. - 8 p.m. ET | Send a PM? Pls allow 2 business days for reply

Last edited by FordService; 08-27-2012 at 11:30 AM. Reason: Added poster
Old 08-27-2012, 01:05 PM   #1045
Sonic_HedgeHog
Sonic Mk3 Crew #00

Fan#: 50003
What I Drive: '12 Sterling Focus SE 5dr Sport Pkg

FF Reputation: 19 Sonic_HedgeHog Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Thomas... Where are my parts? I haven't heard anything from my dealer since they said they ordered the parts, it's been like three weeks...
Hatch Nation #156. Sonic's Mk3 Crew Founder and #00
Moderator: DURATEC Ti-VCT Performance, ST Performance, MK3 Focus, SW Fanatics, Sonic's MK3 Crew
Old 08-27-2012, 03:27 PM   #1046
DarinS
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 88257
What I Drive: 2012 Titanium hatch, BMW E30 335iC

FF Reputation: 1 DarinS Good Standing Member
Mine is going back in tomorrow to get looked at again. During my original appointment they replaced the passenger side strut mount and shock, but the noise came back within a week and has steadily been getting worse. Hopefully things go better this time.
Old 08-27-2012, 04:50 PM   #1047
dyn085
That Guy

Fan#: 98047
What I Drive: 2014 FiST/FoST

FF Reputation: 49 dyn085 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
Quote:
Tim, I get what you're saying but the TSB's aren't addressing the clunk. They're for grinding/moaning noise but they happened to fix some peoples clunks, at least temporarily. They are still saying the clunk is a "normal" noise and until Ford says otherwise the dealers, at least mine, won't do any more. That sounds to me like they aren't acknowledging the clunk as a problem at this time.
I don't know, it sounds more like you have a dealership issue than Ford not acknowledging the problem. Ford, as a business, has done (imho) a decent job of trying to rectify the situation. It may not be fully resolved, but they issued a TSB update less than 30 days ago. That sounds like they are still trying.

Have you tried another dealership?

Sonic, I actually got a call that my bearings are in. I may try to pick them up this week and see if I have enough time to install them this weekend. Here's to praying it works
2014 FiST-
Old 08-27-2012, 05:27 PM   #1048
hand-filer
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 90895
What I Drive: One less Ford

FF Reputation: 1 hand-filer Good Standing Member
For those of you that are pinning your hopes on TSB 12-6-17 fixing your rattle/clunk issue, don't get your hopes up too high like I did.
1,200 miles after having it applied to both sides, the noise is back as bad as ever.
This is ridiculous and the 88 pages of this thread speaks volumes.
Ford corporate if you're lurking around on this forum (not likely); you have lost yourselves another repeat customer.
Old 08-27-2012, 06:11 PM   #1049
wilsonfocus86
Focus Addict

Fan#: 23099
What I Drive: 14 Fusion 2.0

FF Reputation: 3 wilsonfocus86 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by hand-filer View Post
For those of you that are pinning your hopes on TSB 12-6-17 fixing your rattle/clunk issue, don't get your hopes up too high like I did.
1,200 miles after having it applied to both sides, the noise is back as bad as ever.
Ford corporate if you're lurking around on this forum (not likely); you have lost yourselves another repeat customer.
I could notice hints of the "clunk" after going over some pretty good curbs. About 20 miles into getting my car back.
Old 08-27-2012, 07:08 PM   #1050
dyn085
That Guy

Fan#: 98047
What I Drive: 2014 FiST/FoST

FF Reputation: 49 dyn085 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
Quote:
Originally Posted by hand-filer View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilsonfocus86 View Post
I could notice hints of the "clunk" after going over some pretty good curbs. About 20 miles into getting my car back.
What does this leave us with? Struts? An out-of-tolerance fastener? Weak mounts?

Frustration. That's what it leaves us with.
2014 FiST-

Bookmarks & Social Networks
-->