2012 Titanium Front Strut Low Speed Noise (Clunk/Rattle) - Page 100 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive

MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive The place to chat about TSB and Known Issues for the 2012 Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 08-16-2012, 10:23 AM   #991
dyn085
That Guy

Fan#: 98047
What I Drive: 2014 FiST/FoST

Points 24,635, Level 95
Points: 24,635, Level: 95 Points: 24,635, Level: 95 Points: 24,635, Level: 95
Level Up 29% Completed
Level up: 29% Level up: 29% Level up: 29%
Forum Activity 10%
Activity: 10% Activity: 10% Activity: 10%
FF Reputation: 49 dyn085 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lipshurt View Post
When I said it would take a year, that was for ford to figure it out.....
If I did it, I would use microphones to really find it. Then I would insulate with shims etc and find the exact location of the noise.
I fully expect that ford will tell me that they have done all they can do. Not sure what I will do when hat happens. "Brian" my regional rep is going to call me today he say, and I will find out more then....
If they are following the TSB, then they should be using whatever ears they have at the shop to locate the noise. My dealership decided to skip that step (the very first step, I might add) and tried to locate it by their 'technical expertise' and probably their 'calibrated ears'. Kinda hard to do on a car with a lunchbox delete...but mine is significant enough now to actually be felt through the car.

I need to stop by the dealer to find out if my parts are in yet so that I can take my suspension apart this weekend...
2014 FiST-
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-16-2012, 10:32 AM   #992
Zillon
Focus Addict

Fan#: 17393
What I Drive: '13 JCW GP

Points 2,504, Level 30
Points: 2,504, Level: 30 Points: 2,504, Level: 30 Points: 2,504, Level: 30
Level Up 36% Completed
Level up: 36% Level up: 36% Level up: 36%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 27 Zillon Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilsonfocus86 View Post
I think a lot of us are going to watch your outcome of the rebuild. Keep us posted man! Just got off with the phone and told my CSM that although the tsb "fix" has made the car a lot better than it was, I can still hear rattle over some heavy bumps. Then he offered for the dealership to replace the springs again....HELLO IT'S NOT A SPRING RELATED ISSUE.
Oh, don't worry. I will. There's one other guy who has installed the Koni struts, but he disappeared and hasn't posted any updates since the initial install. He did say that the end result was favorable... I wish he would get back to me, though.

The one thing holding me back on this project is the lack of availability on the Motorcraft AD1094 strut bearings. Whenever they are available again, I'll get my build together. I'm hesitant to order the bearings from anyone who has an existing stock, because I worry about a bad bearing batch being the culprit behind this whole mess. So, I want the strut bearings I install to be as fresh off the production line as possible. The other option I have, is to buy the Mazda3 strut bearings, but they aren't cheap. zx3matt also mentioned that his significant other's MZ3 has a similar clunking issue, and she has a new Skyactiv 3.

I do know it's not a spring related issue at all; my noise didn't change whatsoever with the installation of my Eibach springs. I also have some experience in tracking down suspension clunks; my last car had one that ended up being the upper spring mount that wasn't keyed properly to the strut. On my Focus, it has gotten worse over time, which leads me to believe that the problem is most likely due to either the bearing or the strut, or a combination of the two parts going bad together.
Old 08-16-2012, 10:37 AM   #993
suss6052
Focus Addict

Fan#: 95752
What I Drive: 2013 Ford Focus ST2 Ingot Silver

Points 9,858, Level 66
Points: 9,858, Level: 66 Points: 9,858, Level: 66 Points: 9,858, Level: 66
Level Up 52% Completed
Level up: 52% Level up: 52% Level up: 52%
Forum Activity 27%
Activity: 27% Activity: 27% Activity: 27%
FF Reputation: 24 suss6052 Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zillon View Post
The one thing holding me back on this project is the lack of availability on the Motorcraft AD1094 strut bearings. Whenever they are available again, I'll get my build together. I'm hesitant to order the bearings from anyone who has an existing stock, because I worry about a bad bearing batch being the culprit behind this whole mess. So, I want the strut bearings I install to be as fresh off the production line as possible. The other option I have, is to buy the Mazda3 strut bearings, but they aren't cheap. zx3matt also mentioned that his significant other's MZ3 has a similar clunking issue, and she has a new Skyactiv 3.
The other thing about the MZ3 strut bearings is that its literally the same part right down to the Ford Motor Company branding on the bag, only they repackage it in a mazda branded bag and charge more money for the identical component.

If the bearings were bad it would effect both vehicles as they use the same parts.
Old 08-16-2012, 10:42 AM   #994
MAD916
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 102048
What I Drive: 2012 Candy Red SE

FF Reputation: 1 MAD916 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
The clunk has started on mine a couple thousand miles ago now at 5200 miles. My Ksport struts came in yesterday and I'm a couple days away from getting them installed, will definetly give everyone an update. I understand they have their own upper strut bearings below the adjustable camber plate top, guess we'll see
Old 08-16-2012, 10:46 AM   #995
dyn085
That Guy

Points 24,635, Level 95
Level Up 29% Completed
Forum Activity 10%
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zillon View Post
On my Focus, it has gotten worse over time, which leads me to believe that the problem is most likely due to either the bearing or the strut, or a combination of the two parts going bad together.
I agree. I know that at least one guy (probably of whom you speak) reporting, with pics, bad struts. My only hesitation in that is that people are reporting positively with the replacement of the bearings, even if the sound eventually comes back. That could signify Either bad batches of bearings, poor geometry causing premature wear of the bearings, or even a loss of torque on the nut securing the top hat causing bearing wear.

The temperature related qualities of some of these clunks could be an indication towards the strut or pillow mounts. If your strut/bearing replacement leads to no noise returning, I think we can safely assume a strut issue. I will be just doing the bearings, so one of us should end up with positive results.

If we both get noise back, pillow mount...
2014 FiST-
Old 08-16-2012, 10:49 AM   #996
dyn085
That Guy

Points 24,635, Level 95
Level Up 29% Completed
Forum Activity 10%
Quote:
Originally Posted by suss6052 View Post
The other thing about the MZ3 strut bearings is that its literally the same part right down to the Ford Motor Company branding on the bag, only they repackage it in a mazda branded bag and charge more money for the identical component.

If the bearings were bad it would effect both vehicles as they use the same parts.
Has anyone frequented their forums to see if the issues are there as well?
2014 FiST-
Old 08-16-2012, 10:55 AM   #997
suss6052
Focus Addict

Fan#: 95752
What I Drive: 2013 Ford Focus ST2 Ingot Silver

Points 9,858, Level 66
Points: 9,858, Level: 66 Points: 9,858, Level: 66 Points: 9,858, Level: 66
Level Up 52% Completed
Level up: 52% Level up: 52% Level up: 52%
Forum Activity 27%
Activity: 27% Activity: 27% Activity: 27%
FF Reputation: 24 suss6052 Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by dyn085 View Post
Has anyone frequented their forums to see if the issues are there as well?
I'm not sure if anyone is tracking the forums, but ZX3Matt's girl's 12 MZ3 is allegedly not immune to the clunk as he reported in another thread when he was thinking about how he hadn't heard reports but then experienced it in her car which meant that it wasn't a matter of swapping the bearings out from the 3 onto the Focus.
Old 08-16-2012, 10:58 AM   #998
Zillon
Focus Addict

Points 2,504, Level 30
Level Up 36% Completed
Forum Activity 0%
In my previous post, I forgot to mention that the base Focus strut mount could also be to blame by not evenly distributing the stresses from the strut bearing to the strut tower. So, I'll also be doing the ST top strut mount; I'm basically replacing the whole kit and kaboodle. It's a bit of a shot in the dark, but I'm also searching for a more performance-oriented suspension geometry (more camber, and maybe more caster), and the ST mounts are a different part.

Also, I have been searching c30world.com, mazda3forums.com and mazdaspeedforums.org to see if there's any similar issues between our cars and the Volvo/Mazda variants.

Ultimately, I've found that while some people have had strut bearing issues, it really doesn't seem to be as widespread an issue as with the Focus, nor is it an issue that many have from the factory. Some people have had premature bearing failures, but I've found that most people who do complain of strut bearing failure have altered their factory suspension with aftermarket components that they've installed themselves. zx3matt's girlfriend's car is an exception, though. I haven't really looked into the newer Skyactiv cars.
Old 08-16-2012, 06:08 PM   #999
Uptcv1
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 88390
What I Drive: 2012 sonic blue SE sport DCT hatch

Points 2,497, Level 30
Points: 2,497, Level: 30 Points: 2,497, Level: 30 Points: 2,497, Level: 30
Level Up 32% Completed
Level up: 32% Level up: 32% Level up: 32%
Forum Activity 0%
FF Reputation: 1 Uptcv1 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uptcv1 View Post
confused...
the other day dealer called that parts were in (took 2 weeks) so I dropped it off... picked it up today (cant say much on noise yet as dealer is only maybe 2 miles to my house) but as I was just checking it looks like the gap from fender to tire is a little more than it used to be... (SE sport package)

checked ford etis wiht my VIN and this is showing:
BV61-5310-NG* Left Front Coil
BV61-5310-NG* Right Front Coil

-dealer service invoice though indicates BV6Z 5310 front springs...

- did they change the code numbers for updated parts?
or did they install the wrong parts (maybe for another configuration such as the SEL?)
ok, read the TSB again so these are the updated codes, maybe since springs are new they just need to settle?
Old 08-17-2012, 02:29 PM   #1000
Zillon
Focus Addict

Points 2,504, Level 30
Level Up 36% Completed
Forum Activity 0%
Well, after a bit more research, I'm not sure if the Mazdaspeed3 Konis will really work. There's an alignment tab that's welded onto the strut body that prevents the strut from sliding fully into the knuckle, which subsequently raises the front end to stock height with Pro-kit springs.

Not acceptable in my book; I'm not sure if I really feel like tackling the full removal of a welded on bracket.

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.