Weird Squeak Over Bumps - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive

MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive The place to chat about TSB and Known Issues for the 2012 Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 04-05-2013, 02:26 PM   #1
CDNFocusFan
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 99542
What I Drive: 2012 Tuxedo Black Metallic Titanium

FF Reputation: 1 CDNFocusFan Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Weird Squeak Over Bumps

I've heard of the front end clunk, but was wondering has anyone experienced a squeak from their suspension?

At first I thought it was because of the extreme cold, but since it's now warmed up obviously there's another cause.

Over larger bumps, even at slow speeds, I'm getting a very distinct squeak from the front end. I took it to the dealer who said everything is tight and there isn't anything wrong. However, I am still getting this intermittent squeak. It sounds exactly like someone jumping up and down on and old couch or mattress. It seems to happen when the suspension has to travel a lot, say over a speed bump or a sudden dip in the road (Not a pothole).

I haven't hit anything, and I can't seem to locate a cause inside. It's definitely not a clunk, it's a squeak.

Anyone else experienced this?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-05-2013, 02:43 PM   #2
PratoN
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 88058
What I Drive: 2012 Kona Blue Ti Hatchback, DCT

FF Reputation: 10 PratoN Great Standing Member
I hear this when I go over a set of railroad tracks every day. I (also) wasn't sure if it was the cold weather (or my stainless steel hubcaps?) so I haven't done anything about it yet. I'll see if I can get my hands on a reasonable microphone and/or camera and record it.

But agreed - not a clunk. Kind of like a trampoline squeak or something.
Old 04-05-2013, 02:43 PM   #3
k1ngkev1n1
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 103124
What I Drive: 2012 ford focus SEL

FF Reputation: 1 k1ngkev1n1 Good Standing Member
I had a squeezing noise in my old honda accord every time I hit a bump would squeek. Was the control arm I think had to be replaced.
Old 04-05-2013, 02:48 PM   #4
CDNFocusFan
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by PratoN View Post
I hear this when I go over a set of railroad tracks every day. I (also) wasn't sure if it was the cold weather (or my stainless steel hubcaps?) so I haven't done anything about it yet. I'll see if I can get my hands on a reasonable microphone and/or camera and record it.

But agreed - not a clunk. Kind of like a trampoline squeak or something.
Sounds exactly like mine, the only thing that I changed was from summer to winter tires, but this was all done at dealer.

I will try to record it but only have my iPhone. I had it looked at and they told me they greased my front end, it was back the next day. The dealer in town told me nothing was wrong.
Old 04-05-2013, 03:51 PM   #5
mcdiv
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 94558
What I Drive: 2012 titanium, kona blue

FF Reputation: 1 mcdiv Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
This might sound weird, but my car makes squeaks over bumps if I'm cruising along on the gas. My clutch slips a lot, and when I go over bumps it makes a little rusty spring sound. The sound is not there when I'm off the gas.
Old 04-05-2013, 04:19 PM   #6
ccelaya
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 92465
What I Drive: 2012 Sterling Grey - Focus HB Sport

FF Reputation: 1 ccelaya Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDNFocusFan View Post
I've heard of the front end clunk, but was wondering has anyone experienced a squeak from their suspension?

At first I thought it was because of the extreme cold, but since it's now warmed up obviously there's another cause.

Over larger bumps, even at slow speeds, I'm getting a very distinct squeak from the front end. I took it to the dealer who said everything is tight and there isn't anything wrong. However, I am still getting this intermittent squeak. It sounds exactly like someone jumping up and down on and old couch or mattress. It seems to happen when the suspension has to travel a lot, say over a speed bump or a sudden dip in the road (Not a pothole).

I haven't hit anything, and I can't seem to locate a cause inside. It's definitely not a clunk, it's a squeak.

Anyone else experienced this?
I am experiencing the same sound... like a screeching sound over bumps as if t needed some greasing. It started after 25,000Km... I guess it's normal wear.
Old 04-05-2013, 05:38 PM   #7
CDNFocusFan
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccelaya View Post
I am experiencing the same sound... like a screeching sound over bumps as if t needed some greasing. It started after 25,000Km... I guess it's normal wear.
I certainly hope it isn't normal wear... I've had a squeak for about 2000kms. I'm at 9000 right now.

@MCDIV, I never noticed if it was while I was on the gas or not, I'll have to try next time I'm out.
Old 04-06-2013, 10:08 AM   #8
CDNFocusFan
Focus Enthusiast

Video of Squeak

Hey guys, I posted a video to youtube of the squeak, sound familiar to anyone? Anyone found a solution?... or even a cause?

I couldn't find any large bumps nearby, so those are just small dips. With a speedbump it sounds like there's someone jumping on a mattress under my hood.

YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.
Old 04-06-2013, 10:12 AM   #9
Chris_HT
Focus Addict

Fan#: 86229
What I Drive: Blue SVT 2002

FF Reputation: 4 Chris_HT Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
Ok, I can't play the video now, but 'soundns like someone jumping on old bed' is way too familiar - sway bar bushings.

You may have hard time convincing dealer to check those out, because in order to get there they would actually have to do some work (subframe drop).
Old 04-06-2013, 01:25 PM   #10
SilverST05
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 103209
What I Drive: 2005 Silver Frost ST

FF Reputation: 1 SilverST05 Good Standing Member
My guess would be sway bar bushings also or control arm bushings. Mine's doing the same thing. Especially when it twists like when you start going up a slight incline at an angle. I want to replace all the bushings and links either way, now that I'm over 100,000 miles.
"As soon as we're born we start dying, so you might as well have a good time."

Bookmarks & Social Networks