My 2012 Focus issues: what Ford is and isn't doing - Page 6 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 Focus

MK3 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the third generation 2012-Current Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 11-15-2011, 10:02 AM   #51
Montana
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 89448
What I Drive: 2012 Candy Blue Focus SE

FF Reputation: 1 Montana Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by KimberChick View Post
I stumbled upon this site looking for real-world information on the 2012 Focus.

This has me a bit nervous about purchasing one. I've got a dealer "hunting down" an SE hatch with a manual, 203A and sport package in gray. (apparently, this is a tall request?!?)

I drove an SEL sedan as a rental. Gas mileage sold me on it, plus the ride was quiet and firm...moreso that the Tacoma I have now or the 9th gen Corolla I had prior. I didn't get to mess with MFT or SYNC much...and maybe I should have put it through its paces. I didn't notice any drift, but we were driving on the interstate with a 30mph+ sustained wind.

The dealer is telling me that if i order the car, it'll be at least 6-8 weeks. I'm kind of wondering if I shouldn't be looking at other hatches. I'm a Toyota person..but their vehicles aren't to my liking anymore.
I would suggest you look at others as well, The focus seems to be a hit or miss, When it is right it is great when you have issues forget about getting them fixed without alot of your own leg work and frustration. I like the styling, handling and ergonomics of mine but the other issues it has I am still having to bug the dealer as Ford says it is normal even though the dealer sides with me saying that it isn't normal.

If the dealer does find one for you just make sure you can test drive the car for a day before buying it. Once sold any support with issues has been removed with the window sticker. I have no issues with the car having problems, I have issues with Ford not stepping up to the plate and addressing them.

Montana
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-15-2011, 11:05 AM   #52
JPopNC
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 88327
What I Drive: 2012 Ingot Silver Titanium H-back

FF Reputation: 1 JPopNC Good Standing Member
Quote:
I stumbled upon this site looking for real-world information on the 2012 Focus.

This has me a bit nervous about purchasing one. I've got a dealer "hunting down" an SE hatch with a manual, 203A and sport package in gray. (apparently, this is a tall request?!?)

I drove an SEL sedan as a rental. Gas mileage sold me on it, plus the ride was quiet and firm...moreso that the Tacoma I have now or the 9th gen Corolla I had prior. I didn't get to mess with MFT or SYNC much...and maybe I should have put it through its paces. I didn't notice any drift, but we were driving on the interstate with a 30mph+ sustained wind.

The dealer is telling me that if i order the car, it'll be at least 6-8 weeks. I'm kind of wondering if I shouldn't be looking at other hatches. I'm a Toyota person..but their vehicles aren't to my liking anymore.

As you may have read in earlier posts, this is a first run production vehicle, so there are always risks in buying the first year before all the bugs are ironed out. However there are a much higher percentage of owners (like myself) who have had zero issues and enjoy the car immensely.

My suggestion would be to look the car over really well for any defects (should do this for ANY purchase), then make sure the dealer knows you want all available TSB's installed prior to purchase, and then after that request to drive it home for 24 hours. If it's going to have issues, you would most likely see those during that time.

My car is fully loaded which means there are technology challenges from time-to-time, but that's evident in ALL technical devices (phones, computers, etc). If those types of challenges intimidate you, then go for the models without MFT.

Just my two cents.
Old 11-15-2011, 11:12 AM   #53
KimberChick
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 91809
What I Drive: 2010 Toyota Tacoma DoubleCab

FF Reputation: 1 KimberChick Good Standing Member
I plan on avoiding the MyFord Touch anyway. I didn't much care for it and I'm not keen on touchscreen stuff...my cellphone still has buttons. It's got a bunch of features I really won't use.

Of the problems I've read about, they seem to almost exclusively stem from MFT and the automatic. Neither of which I care to have in mine. The only other is the steering drift which seems slightly less common.
Old 11-15-2011, 12:09 PM   #54
RDJTX
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 88961
What I Drive: 2012 Sonic Blue Titanium

FF Reputation: 1 RDJTX Good Standing Member
I have had only a very few issues with mine and they all would be a 1 on a 10 scale. Minor annoyances at most. I love the MFT but would agree that it is not for everyone.

A review of the negativity would show that the vast majority of them bought theirs early in the year and there is a lot of mostly unintended exaggeration due to frustration over the perception that Ford is not doing anything to fix it.

I will say that I was like you but I came to the site after I ordered my car. Came close to cancelling due to all the negative crap here. There were enough that were happy to convince me to hang with it and I am VERY happy I did.

Quote:
I plan on avoiding the MyFord Touch anyway. I didn't much care for it and I'm not keen on touchscreen stuff...my cellphone still has buttons. It's got a bunch of features I really won't use.

Of the problems I've read about, they seem to almost exclusively stem from MFT and the automatic. Neither of which I care to have in mine. The only other is the steering drift which seems slightly less common.
Old 11-15-2011, 01:32 PM   #55
feta_mgp
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 88210
What I Drive: 2012 SGM Focus SEL

FF Reputation: 7 feta_mgp Good Standing Member
csvt2060, the same mentality behind you saying we have no right to interject and add our opinions about our cars with no issues and how much we love them is exactly WHY we do that.

We're the voices from the other side of the fence... you, estoy, Rusty, and several others have these major issues, issues that without a doubt should be taken care of without all the hassle you have all gone through...

I have most of those issues, the 4" LCD, auto lamps and wipers, headliner feels loose around the ambient lighting controls, etc. But none of them are so severe that the car becomes a problem to drive or unable to enjoy, at least in my opinion and some of those in this thread.

People need to know that not all of the cars have those issues. If all they see are negatives, and issues with the car and Ford, they stay away, but for those of us who love this car and have no issues or only very minor issues, we try to spread that around, that the car isn't just problem after problem, and that there are still many many many cars that are not problematic.

Ford has more vehicles in their line-up than most companies do. They can't drop their support on all other vehicles in the line-up to focus on just one. We ARE getting fixes, granted they're not as timely for those who bought earlier in the year than they are for later adopters, but they're coming.

The DCT update was a pretty big overhaul and definitely changed how the car feels. The MFT update slated for release next year at least LOOKS great, and the demo video is not just a pre-rendered video in a commercial, it looks to be a real, implemented version of MFT in a 2013 Escape.

Ford has a lot at stake with this car, because it's the market that is really taking off in America, you can't drive down the road without seeing a Corolla, or Elantra, or Focus, Mazda3, etc. regardless of year. They outnumber everything, it's a HUGE market, applying to people all across the board, new drivers, long-time owners, businesses, etc.

It's just a matter of perspective. I agree, customer service shouldn't be so bad as to be ignored, but at the same time, telling people with no issues they have no right to input their opinion defeats the purpose of a forum. It's there to allow people to express their opinion and discuss the issue, so we do, we discuss it from the other side of the argument.
Sonic Crew #28
Old 11-15-2011, 01:46 PM   #56
RDJTX
Focus Enthusiast

+65,000 and very well said.

Quote:
Originally Posted by feta_mgp View Post
csvt2060, the same mentality behind you saying we have no right to interject and add our opinions about our cars with no issues and how much we love them is exactly WHY we do that.

We're the voices from the other side of the fence... you, estoy, Rusty, and several others have these major issues, issues that without a doubt should be taken care of without all the hassle you have all gone through...

I have most of those issues, the 4" LCD, auto lamps and wipers, headliner feels loose around the ambient lighting controls, etc. But none of them are so severe that the car becomes a problem to drive or unable to enjoy, at least in my opinion and some of those in this thread.

People need to know that not all of the cars have those issues. If all they see are negatives, and issues with the car and Ford, they stay away, but for those of us who love this car and have no issues or only very minor issues, we try to spread that around, that the car isn't just problem after problem, and that there are still many many many cars that are not problematic.

Ford has more vehicles in their line-up than most companies do. They can't drop their support on all other vehicles in the line-up to focus on just one. We ARE getting fixes, granted they're not as timely for those who bought earlier in the year than they are for later adopters, but they're coming.

The DCT update was a pretty big overhaul and definitely changed how the car feels. The MFT update slated for release next year at least LOOKS great, and the demo video is not just a pre-rendered video in a commercial, it looks to be a real, implemented version of MFT in a 2013 Escape.

Ford has a lot at stake with this car, because it's the market that is really taking off in America, you can't drive down the road without seeing a Corolla, or Elantra, or Focus, Mazda3, etc. regardless of year. They outnumber everything, it's a HUGE market, applying to people all across the board, new drivers, long-time owners, businesses, etc.

It's just a matter of perspective. I agree, customer service shouldn't be so bad as to be ignored, but at the same time, telling people with no issues they have no right to input their opinion defeats the purpose of a forum. It's there to allow people to express their opinion and discuss the issue, so we do, we discuss it from the other side of the argument.
Old 11-15-2011, 02:35 PM   #57
Montana
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDJTX View Post
I have had only a very few issues with mine and they all would be a 1 on a 10 scale. Minor annoyances at most. I love the MFT but would agree that it is not for everyone.

A review of the negativity would show that the vast majority of them bought theirs early in the year and there is a lot of mostly unintended exaggeration due to frustration over the perception that Ford is not doing anything to fix it.

I will say that I was like you but I came to the site after I ordered my car. Came close to cancelling due to all the negative crap here. There were enough that were happy to convince me to hang with it and I am VERY happy I did.
I am glad you have a vehicle that has minimal issues with it, My question for you is have you driven any of these vehicles that the owner was exaggerating about the issues they were/are having? If not how are you able to say that it is mostly unintended exaggeration. I don't remember giving you the keys to my vehicle for a test drive. Are you also implying that the tech at the dealer was over exaggerating as well by agreeing with me that there was indeed a issue? The title of this thread is "My 2012 Focus issues: what Ford is and isn't doing" You stated in that other thread that you would have no issues if the person is saying My Focus, Well here he is and you still won't let it go. Are you here to balance this thread out now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by feta_mgp View Post

If they want to know that all the Focus do not have these issues then read the sticky at the top of the 2012 Forum here as well as other I love my Focus threads. Because you don't mind the issues you have does not mean that another owner wants the same issues. Ford IMO dropped the ball on not the design of the car or it's features but how it is handling the issues that some owners are having. You may say Ford is handling them very professionally yet I say they are not, You do or had issues and your ok with Ford not addressing them, I on the other hand am not ok with that. So how long do we sit here going back and forth with those of us saying we have issues we would like fixed and then the other side saying my vehicle is wonderful?

Montana
Old 11-15-2011, 03:08 PM   #58
RDJTX
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montana View Post
I am glad you have a vehicle that has minimal issues with it, My question for you is have you driven any of these vehicles that the owner was exaggerating about the issues they were/are having? If not how are you able to say that it is mostly unintended exaggeration. I don't remember giving you the keys to my vehicle for a test drive. Are you also implying that the tech at the dealer was over exaggerating as well by agreeing with me at there was indeed a issue? The title of this thread is "My 2012 Focus issues: what Ford is and isn't doing" You stated in that other thread that you would have no issues if the person is saying My Focus, Well here he is and you still won't let it go. Are you here to balance this thread out now?
Montana
No I have not driven any of the cars having issues, not that I wouldn't like to.

You misunderstood what I said. People get frustrated with their situation and tend to exaggerate the problem. The statement "the focus is a pile of crap" is but one often repeated example of this "Ford is not doing anything about the issues" is another. Ford is doing something just not fast enough or open enough to make some of you happy.

I am not saying that most of the problems are not real or are exaggerated, although some of them are. I AM saying that SOME of the exaggerations are unintended.

Also I respond to threads with my experience and info I feel may be useful to the person I am responding to. Sorry if you don't like it ,but since it is a public forum I don't have to consider what you may think of my post before making it.
Old 11-15-2011, 03:37 PM   #59
Montana
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDJTX View Post
No I have not driven any of the cars having issues, not that I wouldn't like to.

You misunderstood what I said. People get frustrated with their situation and tend to exaggerate the problem. The statement "the focus is a pile of crap" is but one often repeated example of this "Ford is not doing anything about the issues" is another. Ford is doing something just not fast enough or open enough to make some of you happy.

I am not saying that most of the problems are not real or are exaggerated, although some of them are. I AM saying that SOME of the exaggerations are unintended.

Also I respond to threads with my experience and info I feel may be useful to the person I am responding to. Sorry if you don't like it ,but since it is a public forum I don't have to consider what you may think of my post before making it.
In the mileage thread you did tell me what the pinwheel thing was for and I thank you for that, However in this thread I have yet to see you tell us anything that is helping anyone. You tell us we are impatient and sometimes exaggerate things, Not that you care but look at this from the standpoint of owning a Focus that has issues. A person just bought a new vehicle in the hopes of having a stylish nice car that handles well and is reliable, But what they got was a car with issues. So they come here looking for solutions and to vent a little, You hop on the thread and say we must wait X amount of days (Since you never gave me a number) to wait for a resolution to our issues and if we want it sooner then we are asking too much. Also there is a good chance we are exaggerating the problem because we are a little upset.

I have no idea what your background is in and if indeed you work for Ford then all I am saying is instead of telling a owner that is having issues my car if perfectly fine try using your experience to offer support for those issues. Maybe you have in the past but I looked back three pages in your most recent posts and don't see any support or helping on any of the issues some of us are having.

I never said I don't like your posting I just don't agree with it. IMO you are taking what is already a volatile situation and adding a little more fuel and then throwing the match on it.

Montana
Old 11-15-2011, 04:11 PM   #60
RDJTX
Focus Enthusiast

No hate from me for those of you that are short of patience, but the fact is you are impatient. You got an early car and the fact you are having issues truly sux. Your impatience stems from the fact that Ford has not produced a solution nor have they effectively communicated where they are in the fix cycle.

But they are dealing with intermittent issues with some of the computer systems (apparently) and as I have said elsewhere intermittent issues are the hardest to track down and test for. Everything has been tested in a lab and in a few test cars before being put into production but no matter how long the testing it is not real world experience. It is not till you get hundreds of cars with different drivers that these issues will show up, then it takes time to try to replicate the issue and then find and test a solution and them push it out to the customers. In the meantime you wind up building a base of pissed off consumers. Not good on either side of the fence.

For the record I am NOT a Ford employee neither am I in any way associated with them or any of their subsideraies. I worked for a major computer manfacturing company in their server engineering side as a customer service rep. Basically doing a job similar to Natasha's but I also worked directly with the engineers to find the solutions and see that they got implemented. So I have a good understanding of problems like this from both sides of the aisle.

Bookmarks & Social Networks