2000 Focus , Very Rough Idle , Any help is welcome - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Technical Chat

General Technical Chat This section is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 09-02-2011, 01:35 PM   #1
Lkunie
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 89492
What I Drive: 2000 White Focus SE

FF Reputation: 1 Lkunie Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
2000 Focus , Very Rough Idle , Any help is welcome

I own a 2000 Focus SE 2.0L with about 91k mileage

About 2 weeks ago my idle has gone to crap, the rpms will dip very very low when at idle and my engine literally shakes because of it and will stale at times.
If i apply a bit of throttle it will smooth out and run ok.. When actually driving , the engine seems to run great , no loss of power or hesistation with acceleration. Its only when I come to a stop sign or red light and have to sit.

Over the past 2 years this problem did appear once or twice a year and lasted for a few days and then it would go away. But the idle never got so low to wear it stalled or shook the engine like it is now.

After reading countless threads and various webposts I took a shot at the MAFS. As the car was at a idle I disconnected the MAFS and the revs went up and the idle smoothed out mostly. With it disconnected it doesnt idle down nowhere close to where it will shake the engine or stall. So I thought for sure it was the MAFS... I went and purchased Electronic Contact Cleaner and I sprayed the MAFS down with small amounts of it and let it dry out. It seemed to help a little but my idle is still very rough. So today I purchased a rebuilt MAFS and installed it. And I did disconnect the neg battery terminal and the computer reset. When I started it up, the engine ran much much worse then my previous old cleaned up mafs.

So I returned the rebuilt mafs to autozone and got a refund and put my old cleaned up mafs back in. I just found a few posts about the MAFS relay. Any ideas if the relay could be causing this problem? Or any other suggestions on something a novice can do to test any ideas out. Like most people , I go paycheck to paycheck and I got lucky that they refunded my rebuilt mafs. So I got a few dollars to spend on perhaps spark plugs or something else.
Again, Any input or ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
len

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-02-2011, 01:56 PM   #2
benkap
Hatch Nation #136

Fan#: 86366
What I Drive: 2003 Mineral Grey Metallic ZX3

FF Reputation: 14 benkap Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
There are a ton of things that it could be. I'd recommend cleaning out your IAC (there's a how-to), checking the condition of your plugs and wires, making sure that your coil is in good shape, replacing your fuel filter, and running a dash diagnostic to see if your electrical system is up to snuff.

I'd also take a root around to see if the valve cover is leaking, as that will destroy your idle if oil is sneaking into your plugs.
Old 09-02-2011, 02:43 PM   #3
alz focus
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 67546
What I Drive: 2002 Blue SE

Points 975, Level 16
Points: 975, Level: 16 Points: 975, Level: 16 Points: 975, Level: 16
Level Up 75% Completed
Level up: 75% Level up: 75% Level up: 75%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 5 alz focus Good Standing Member
Check the pcv and associated hoses for collapsing.
2006 Freestyle SEL AWD
Old 09-02-2011, 03:51 PM   #4
Lkunie
Focus Rookie

Thanks for the tips, I will start looking at the hoses and things tomorrow after work and see if I can give the IAC a cleaning. What product would you suggest using to check for VAC leaks? I read WD40 is ok to use, is this true?
I dont have a propane torch and I wouldnt feel comfortable using one either. But I got plenty of WD40 and I also read water is ok to use?
Old 09-02-2011, 06:06 PM   #5
alz focus
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 67546
What I Drive: 2002 Blue SE

Points 975, Level 16
Points: 975, Level: 16 Points: 975, Level: 16 Points: 975, Level: 16
Level Up 75% Completed
Level up: 75% Level up: 75% Level up: 75%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 5 alz focus Good Standing Member
WD40 will make an awful mess spaying it everywhere. Maybe try carb cleaner or parts cleaner, wont make a mess.
2006 Freestyle SEL AWD
Old 09-02-2011, 06:08 PM   #6
whynotthinkwhynot
Captain TMI

Fan#: 18416
What I Drive: 05 ZXW; 02 Windstar; 13 C-Max SEL

Points 27,131, Level 97
Points: 27,131, Level: 97 Points: 27,131, Level: 97 Points: 27,131, Level: 97
Level Up 79% Completed
Level up: 79% Level up: 79% Level up: 79%
Forum Activity 5%
Activity: 5% Activity: 5% Activity: 5%
FF Reputation: 270 whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
You can look for vacuum leaks, but the most common vacuum leak is the PCV valve line. Now, you have a SOHC SPI engine, and with that engine you need to be looking for other problems besides just a vacuum leak or a sticky IAC.

Your first concern should be the condition of the timing belt. Yes, those are supposed to go over 100k miles- but all rubber wears out after 10 years. Even if your car had no miles on it but was 12 years old- the timing belt should be inspected carefully. Look for missing ribs, and cotton showing through the back side of the belt. Inspect all the belt, and use a silver paint marker to check what you've looked at. I'd remove the inspection cover, disconnect the fuel cutoff switch, and disconnect the ignition coil. Then you should be able to bump/crank the engine with the starter and move the belt. That's easier than turning the engine with a socket and ratchet.

If the timing belt checks out ok, you should run a compression test and look for any cylinders that don't have good compression. You might be losing a valve seat. That is common for these engines, and if allowed to completely fall out- you'll be purchasing a new vehicle. These engines are very expensive in salvage yards because most of them have self destructed after dropping valve seats. If you catch it before it completely falls out, then you can have a machine shop install new valve seats after you remove the cylinder head.

Moderating everything now, let me know if I can help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the user formerly known as ZX3_Chick View Post
You're special aren't you.
Old 09-02-2011, 06:21 PM   #7
Lkunie
Focus Rookie

When I first purchased my car (used with 40k miles) , My check engine light would come on and stay on. After a few trips back to my dealer, they replaced the head under a ford recall warranty. I cant recall if thats what/why it was replaced. But the head of the engine only has 50k miles on it.

But would that seem to be the problem again? Like I said , when I unplug my MFAS the engine revs back up to normal and the idles smooths out , almost to where it should be.
Old 09-02-2011, 07:06 PM   #8
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 84572
What I Drive: focus

FF Reputation: 1 84572 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by whynotthinkwhynot View Post
You can look for vacuum leaks, but the most common vacuum leak is the PCV valve line. Now, you have a SOHC SPI engine, and with that engine you need to be looking for other problems besides just a vacuum leak or a sticky IAC.

Your first concern should be the condition of the timing belt. Yes, those are supposed to go over 100k miles- but all rubber wears out after 10 years. Even if your car had no miles on it but was 12 years old- the timing belt should be inspected carefully. Look for missing ribs, and cotton showing through the back side of the belt. Inspect all the belt, and use a silver paint marker to check what you've looked at. I'd remove the inspection cover, disconnect the fuel cutoff switch, and disconnect the ignition coil. Then you should be able to bump/crank the engine with the starter and move the belt. That's easier than turning the engine with a socket and ratchet.

If the timing belt checks out ok, you should run a compression test and look for any cylinders that don't have good compression. You might be losing a valve seat. That is common for these engines, and if allowed to completely fall out- you'll be purchasing a new vehicle. These engines are very expensive in salvage yards because most of them have self destructed after dropping valve seats. If you catch it before it completely falls out, then you can have a machine shop install new valve seats after you remove the cylinder head.
^^^^Do what he said. Is your check engine light on? BTW I've gotten bad advice from Autozone and recently had to argue with a counter person at O'reillys until they gave me the correct axle that I knew had been ordered and was there. When you unplug your MAF the computer takes over that's why it idles better. It could still be your MAF, just maybe they gave you the wrong one.
Old 09-02-2011, 08:42 PM   #9
Lkunie
Focus Rookie

It was on , but I cleared it after I cleaned the MAF and it has not come back on yet. Im sure it will in the next day or two. It took a few days before it came on the first time when it started to idle rough.
Old 09-02-2011, 10:45 PM   #10
BC_ZX3
DTC P0606

Fan#: 48751
What I Drive: 2001 Red ZX3 Turbo

Points 2,029, Level 27
Points: 2,029, Level: 27 Points: 2,029, Level: 27 Points: 2,029, Level: 27
Level Up 20% Completed
Level up: 20% Level up: 20% Level up: 20%
Forum Activity 4%
Activity: 4% Activity: 4% Activity: 4%
FF Reputation: 86 BC_ZX3 Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by robs02 View Post
When you unplug your MAF the computer takes over that's why it idles better.
Huh?
You should not run your car with the the MAF (Mass Airflow Sensor) sensor disconnected. It tells the PCM (Powertrain Control Module- the car's electronic brain) how much air the engine is ingesting.
The most common cause of stalling and poor idling, as has already been stated, are vacuum leaks and the PCV hose is a common source on the Focus.
The SPI engine, as whynot mentioned, needs some special attention as well.
You can disconnect the electrical connector on the IACV (Idle Air Control Valve) to see if it makes a difference to the idle speed as a crude, preliminary test to see if that part is malfunctioning. The IACV is a computer controlled throttle bypass opening that is used to set idle speed.
Finally, you shouldn't clear a CEL light without knowing the underlying code; it can help you pinpoint the problem.

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.