762 miles and low brake fluid?!? - Focus Fanatics
Focus Fanatics Ford Focus Forums
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Model Specific Discussions > MK3 Focus

MK3 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the third generation 2012-Current Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 09-01-2011, 08:34 AM   #1
copernicium112
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 87742
What I Drive: 2012 Sonic Blue Ti Sedan

FF Reputation: 4 copernicium112 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
762 miles and low brake fluid?!?

So I'm driving to work this morning with three weeks of ownership and 762 miles on the car and all of the sudden I am getting constant warnings that the brake fluid is low and it has to be serviced immediately. Anyone else see this before (or any other service messages for that matter) in such short ownership time/ low mileage with their cars?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-01-2011, 09:22 AM   #2
misfire

Fan#: 31379
What I Drive: 2012 SEL Hatch, 2014 Mazda CX-5

FF Reputation: 30 misfire Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (13)
CALL YOUR DEALERSHIP ASAP! HAVE ROADSIDE TOW IT, if it feels funny. I had one here with that message and one of the brake calipers was leaking brake fluid. dont waste time on here, call them NOW
Old 09-01-2011, 09:36 AM   #3
copernicium112
Focus Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by misfire View Post
CALL YOUR DEALERSHIP ASAP! HAVE ROADSIDE TOW IT, if it feels funny. I had one here with that message and one of the brake calipers was leaking brake fluid. dont waste time on here, call them NOW
Thanks. No they feel fine. Firm, responsive, and no sponginess. If they didn't believe me I would have stopped immediately. Unfortunately I was on my way to work so I couldn't check my driveway for fluid but I am going out to check on lunch and see if I notice anything. It's going to the dealership regardless.

Thanks again!
Old 09-01-2011, 09:39 AM   #4
blackraven456
Focus Addict

Fan#: 88061
What I Drive: 2012 Black Focus Titanium Sedan

FF Reputation: 1 blackraven456 Good Standing Member
Something could have hit the brake line creating a small tear as you were driving one day - happened to me on my first car years ago. The mechanic thought it was a sharp rock that bounced up and hit the line.
Old 09-01-2011, 09:48 AM   #5
copernicium112
Focus Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackraven456 View Post
Something could have hit the brake line creating a small tear as you were driving one day - happened to me on my first car years ago. The mechanic thought it was a sharp rock that bounced up and hit the line.
Yeah, unfortunately a several mile stretch of the expressway route I drive to work has been under construction for the entire summer, concrete replacement, smoothing, re-surfacing, etc. Ah the joys of upstate New York. Of course, looking at your home base I'm sure you are just as familiar with the constant road work as I am!
Old 09-01-2011, 10:11 AM   #6
downincircles
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 88881
What I Drive: 2012 Yellow Blaze Focus SE 5 Door

FF Reputation: 1 downincircles Good Standing Member
hey, at least the 490 isn't a bombed out speedfest anymore. Now its a smooth speedfest haha
Old 09-01-2011, 10:17 AM   #7
copernicium112
Focus Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by downincircles View Post
hey, at least the 490 isn't a bombed out speedfest anymore. Now its a smooth speedfest haha
Yeah, it only took forever but it is nice now that it is done. It is 390 Henrietta through Avon that has been this summer's nightmare!
Old 09-01-2011, 10:24 AM   #8
csvt2060
Focus Addict

Fan#: 84122
What I Drive: 2013 Ford Escape Titanium

FF Reputation: 2 csvt2060 Good Standing Member
I have a hard time understanding why it seems people don't believe these warning messages and pull over immediatly and check over the car. If it's really out of fluid, you may push the brake and it feels fine. Then the next time you push on it, no brakes, and major accident.

Nothing against the OP per say, it's a general statment that I am finding the population doesn't heed warnings very well.
Old 09-01-2011, 03:31 PM   #9
copernicium112
Focus Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by csvt2060 View Post
I have a hard time understanding why it seems people don't believe these warning messages and pull over immediatly and check over the car. If it's really out of fluid, you may push the brake and it feels fine. Then the next time you push on it, no brakes, and major accident.

Nothing against the OP per say, it's a general statment that I am finding the population doesn't heed warnings very well.
I'm the OP and believe me I take nothing personal in your statement. I posted in a hurry this morning when I first got to work as I was rather irritated that a three week old car was flashing warnings and was probably not clear enough in my post.

The warning light did not stay on. It would come on for a couple of seconds and then go off, and then come on again a few minutes later and go quickly off. I have been driving long enough to know when things are not behaving properly by feel and if I suspected that in the least I would have stopped immediately. Of course, the reason I know how a lot of these problems manifest themselves is from some questionable driving/maintenance in my youth, both from a lack of financial resources back then and, as much as I hate to admit it, just plain immaturity with regards to dealing with certain things that should have been dealt with in a timely manner.

I was in the latter half of my drive to work and one thing the last two roads of my drive have in common is they are straight, flat, and desolate (as in I see no one as a rule). Again, any sign of pressure loss or the like and I would have been dialing roadside assistance.

Did go out and check at lunch and also a little while ago. No evidence of a leak anywhere and there is fluid. Pressure seems fine. It seems that when they added fluid though, it was just added to the Min level. Think it was just messing with the level sensor briefly. Again, if I thought my welfare, or more importantly the welfare of someone else, was at risk, I would have been on the side of the road and on the phone.

Last edited by copernicium112; 09-01-2011 at 09:09 PM.
Old 05-12-2013, 05:43 PM   #10
f0cus2o12
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 114576
What I Drive: 2012 blue se

FF Reputation: 1 f0cus2o12 Good Standing Member
Same problem

I have a 2012 ford focus se. The same light keeps appearing at random times. Fluid level is fine.

Bookmarks & Social Networks