SVT Timing Belt Change...The Stuff You Never Seem to Hear About! - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus SVT > SVT Performance (2002-2004)

SVT Performance (2002-2004) The place to chat about any 2.0L SVT DOHC Zetec engine performance, tuning and exhaust related upgrades.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 04-09-2012, 04:31 PM   #1
03#1965
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 66541
What I Drive: 2003 Pitch Black SVT

FF Reputation: 3 03#1965 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
SVT Timing Belt Change...The Stuff You Never Seem to Hear About!

After spending big chunks of three days on my first SVTF timing belt (have a real life, so had to do it as time allowed; plus, I'm slow), I thought a couple of 'rookie' observations might be helpful to the other timing belt virgins out there:

1. It's not as easy as everyone likes to tell you. Yes, it's doable, but you're not going enjoy much of it.
2. You probably want to do it 'by the book' the first time. That way, if you do screw something up, it's easier to 'retrace' your steps and figure it out.
3. When you jack up the engine to release pressure off the passenger side engine mount, be sure you get it up enough. I'm not certain how you determine that exactly, but I got a pretty good 'sproing' out of my mount when it let lose because I was probably an inch too low.
4. Expect to raise and lower the engine a couple of times as you work your away around bolts and pieces that either need to come out above or below the inner fender areas.
5. When you loosen the cam gears, be prepared to find a strange combination of star (torqs) bolts to deal with on the end of each one.
6. You have to hold the cam in place with the correct open end wrench or large vice grips to get those bolts out. It requires about 85 ft.lbs. of force to do this. That's A LOT with your left hand while you're trying to hold the damn thing in place with your right hand!!! (You will see the cam 'hold' area between the first and second cam lobes.) Do yourself a favor, get a buddy to hold the cam in place for you while you use both hands, and your back, to break the bolts free.
7. When it's time to tighten those bolts back to spec, I suggest the same thing...a buddy to hold the wrench or vice grips on the cam with both hands while you snug the cam bolts down.
8. In spite of what the manual says, I would REMOVE the timing bar from the end of the cams while you tighten the cam gear bolts. This is where the cam ends get chipped off, which is what happened to mine. It is IMPOSSIBLE to hold those cams in place with one hand while you tighten with the other.
The cam WILL move slightly enough to break a chunk off the end of the cam. If your 'assistant' is holding that cam in place with both hands while you tighten it, it will not move enough to make a difference. Once both are tightened, you will remove the crank pin and manually rotate the crank
several times to ensure good belt alignment. Once #1 is back at TDC (screwdriver at top of stroke and/or crank key at 12 o'clock position), the timing bar should slip back into the back of your (still) unbroken cams. If not, you did something wrong; repeat the belt install steps.
9. Do not try to install the serpentine belt by yourself. It's a total waste of time and knuckles. After a wasted half hour of trying, my son showed up to provide an assist. While I was under the car pushing up on the tensioner (with the belt ON the tensioner), he 'rolled' the belt over the PS pulley.
It took less than 5 mintues total with that approach!
10. Get the easy stuff done right: After all of that, one coil pack did not seat fully and I thought my dead miss vibration was a total screw up of the timing belt job!

Good luck....first timers, don't expect to do this in 3-4 hours by yourself.

03 SVT Focus #1965
86 XR4Ti 5SPD
www.86xr4ti5spd.homestead.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-09-2012, 05:19 PM   #2
1turbofocus
FF Affiliate

Fan#: 1123
What I Drive: 2000 ZX3 / 2002 SVT Turbocharged

FF Reputation: 153 1turbofocus Excellent Standing Member1turbofocus Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (28)
Why take the Cam gears loose at all ?

Tom
Focus-Power: Your #1 Source for Ford Focus Speed, Tuning & Performance!

Customer Support
AIM: hpdyno
Email: hpdyno@aol.com
Phone: 704-249-3745
Site: focus-power.com

Elder 1turbofocus
Old 04-09-2012, 05:41 PM   #3
03BOOSTREADYSVT
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 67132
What I Drive: 02silver svt & 93 prerunner f150

FF Reputation: 3 03BOOSTREADYSVT Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (4)
Timing belts are a bitch and a half. I did mine with the engine out of the car since i was doing a plain old svt to svt swap. Congrats tho man...
SoCal Crew#111
Old 04-09-2012, 05:51 PM   #4
svtf1417
MOAR BEWST!!!!

Fan#: 58428
What I Drive: 2001 ZTS, 2002 SVTF Turbocharged

FF Reputation: 6 svtf1417 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (6)
Dont ever take the cam gears loose. Its pointless and thats how most people throw p1381 or p1383 codes. Its a lot of un-needed work and headache. I just did another members timing belt last weekend in about 2.5 hours (sitting around a BSing was involved)
[#1417] 2002 Sonic Blue SVT Focus
Born on June 25, 2002

2001 Silver ZTS Sedan - "Ol' Reliable"
Old 04-09-2012, 07:07 PM   #5
mainest
Focus Addict

Fan#: 60163
What I Drive: '04 Red Euro SVT

FF Reputation: 7 mainest Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (10)
Thanks for your observations and hard earned knowledge 03#1965, and congrats! I'm trying to absorb as much collective knowledge about doing my T-belt as possible!
Old 04-09-2012, 07:56 PM   #6
03#1965
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1turbofocus View Post
Why take the Cam gears loose at all ?

Tom
Item #2, Tom...do it 'by the book' first time. Having done it once now, I'd probably try to swap belts without loosening those damn things, just to see how that approach compares.
03 SVT Focus #1965
86 XR4Ti 5SPD
Old 04-09-2012, 07:57 PM   #7
blackonblacksvt03
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 80038
What I Drive: 2003 pitch black SVT 3D

FF Reputation: 2 blackonblacksvt03 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
i did not take my intake cam loose and still keep throwing a p1381. IDK whats wrong being a ford tech i feel retarded. new belt new pullies correct tension on belt. What i dont understand is why i can move the intake cam without moving the exhaust cam. Maybe I just dont fully understand

I work on Fords all day so more than likely i know more about your car than you.
Old 04-09-2012, 08:01 PM   #8
03#1965
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by svtf1417 View Post
Dont ever take the cam gears loose. Its pointless and thats how most people throw p1381 or p1383 codes. Its a lot of un-needed work and headache. I just did another members timing belt last weekend in about 2.5 hours (sitting around a BSing was involved)
While it's possible Ford puts steps in their manuals just to screw us all over, I suspect this is supposed offer the best shot at feeding the belt onto the cam gears WITHOUT changing cam position. And for what it's worth, I ran a few 7K RPM shifts tonight on a 15-mile cruise with no CELs.
03 SVT Focus #1965
86 XR4Ti 5SPD
Old 04-09-2012, 08:03 PM   #9
svtf1417
MOAR BEWST!!!!

Fan#: 58428
What I Drive: 2001 ZTS, 2002 SVTF Turbocharged

FF Reputation: 6 svtf1417 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (6)
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackonblacksvt03 View Post
i did not take my intake cam loose and still keep throwing a p1381. IDK whats wrong being a ford tech i feel retarded. new belt new pullies correct tension on belt. What i dont understand is why i can move the intake cam without moving the exhaust cam. Maybe I just dont fully understand
Then you know you can rotate the cam gear backwards without turning the cam itself. Its probably one tooth back, or your TDC isnt set right.
[#1417] 2002 Sonic Blue SVT Focus
Born on June 25, 2002

2001 Silver ZTS Sedan - "Ol' Reliable"
Old 04-09-2012, 08:09 PM   #10
03#1965
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackonblacksvt03 View Post
With the timing belt off, the cams will move independently; is that what you mean? That's the reason for slipping the timing bar in with the belt OFF and crank at TDC. If it all stays in position when the new belt is tensioned, you're golden.
03 SVT Focus #1965
86 XR4Ti 5SPD

Bookmarks & Social Networks