Odd buzzing and popping noises during acceleration - Focus Fanatics
Focus Fanatics Ford Focus Forums
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Technical Chat

General Technical Chat This section is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 09-10-2011, 08:29 PM   #1
icebrain
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 61244
What I Drive: 2003 black ZX5

FF Reputation: 1 icebrain Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Odd buzzing and popping noises during acceleration

So the past month or two my Focus has been making different strange sounds. It's a 2003 ZX5 with a 5-speed and the 2.0L zetec.

Strange sound 1: After first starting the car, something makes a loud, angry buzzing noise right around 3000 RPM. I keep thinking it sounds like it's coming from somewhere aft of the engine. This noise goes away after I've driven 2-3 miles, and won't reoccur until the car has been shut off. My thought was a loose joint in the exhaust or a loose heatshield, but I poked around underneath and couldn't find anything loose.

Strange sound 2: Occasional rumbling or popping while accelerating under load, usually in 1st or 2nd gear. Almost sounds like the engine or transmission are creaking on their mounts. Unless it's the clutch wearing out? I haven't noticed any slippage, but I've never experienced a bad clutch, either.

Car just rolled over 100k on my way home today.

Any ideas? I intend to drive it till it dies, but I'd like it to at least hold out another year or two––the plug-in hybrid Escape that's supposedly coming in 2012 looks mighty attractive. No gas for my daily commute is a very nice deal.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-10-2011, 09:45 PM   #2
whynotthinkwhynot
Captain TMI

Fan#: 18416
What I Drive: 05 ZXW; 02 Windstar; 13 C-Max SEL

FF Reputation: 267 whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Memberwhynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Memberwhynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Strange sound 1: Pop the hood, start the engine, and see if you can identify where the sound is coming from. My first guess would be loose exhaust heat shield, however it could be an exhaust leak since it quiets down.

Strange sound2: Most likely your lower dogbone engine mount. Replacing that might solve strange sound 1 as well if it's related.

Clutch test: get moving about 15-20 mph in 1st gear, shift into 4th gear and floor it. The car will do one of 2 things. First: the engine will bog down and make a horrible grrrrr sound. Immediately push the clutch pedal down, your clutch is good. Second: the engine will go vrooooom, but the car won't move faster. Immediately push the clutch pedal in, and start saving for a new clutch. That's what slipping is. Soon you'll be doing that during any acceleration, and at some point the car will have to be towed. You might be able to make it last long enough to afford a new clutch if you're really careful with it. I would expect about one month more of driving before slipping starts to become a problem.

Moderating everything now, let me know if I can help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the user formerly known as ZX3_Chick View Post
You're special aren't you.

Bookmarks & Social Networks