digital speedometer - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 Interior Mods & Upgrades

MK3 Interior Mods & Upgrades The place to chat about performance gauges, shifter knobs, custom interior paint, car seats or any interior upgrades for the 2012 Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 04-07-2014, 01:36 PM   #1
j ferguson
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 116028
What I Drive: 2013 hippopotamus color Focus SE

FF Reputation: 2 j ferguson Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
digital speedometer

In my most comfortable driving position in our 2013 Focus SE HB, the speedometer is hard to read - upper left side of bezel obscures the hatch marks on the gauge. So I use the speed indication on our GPS. I don't like this because I have to take the gps down every time we park.

It would be so useful if the digital display between the steam gauge tach and speedometer had another screen with a larger speed indication, and then even better, oil pressure, voltage, coolant temp, and real-time Ford stock prices.

Since, except for the stock price, the car likely already knows all of this, we're only talking software.

And Yes, I would pay for this - even $150.

If this thought belongs in a different area on this site. point me in the right direction.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-07-2014, 02:26 PM   #2
bama_focus
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 117648
What I Drive: 2012 focus sedan sel

FF Reputation: 2 bama_focus Good Standing Member
If you launch in test mode there is a screen that shows speed in mph I'm pretty sure.. But it would be a pain to launch that every time and its not much of a fix.
Also shows other things it knows about the engine I just can't remember I'll try to pull the thread.
Old 04-07-2014, 02:31 PM   #3
Squad-G
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 141457
What I Drive: 2013 Ruby Red Hatchback Titanium

FF Reputation: 1 Squad-G Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by bama_focus View Post
If you launch in test mode there is a screen that shows speed in mph I'm pretty sure.. But it would be a pain to launch that every time and its not much of a fix.
Also shows other things it knows about the engine I just can't remember I'll try to pull the thread.
It's in km/h, not mp/h. The next update should include ths speed. Latest Ford Escape build has new seoftware showing the speed.
Old 04-07-2014, 02:32 PM   #4
j ferguson
Focus Enthusiast

thanks much. I'd be very interested to see this. and btw, if you know how to get it to display the tranny software rev in the car, it would also be useful.

thanks again,

john
Old 04-09-2014, 06:45 AM   #5
j ferguson
Focus Enthusiast

I tired "test" mode. It works and provides k/hr and M/hr readouts along with a lot of other choices, including instantaneous fuel flow, engine temp, revs, voltage. Pretty nice. It would be even nicer if Ford, or a third party could be enticed into providing a selectable screen which showed either mph or kph (owner's choice), instantaneous gph, engine temp, and oil pressure.

EDIT: I found the right thread. It looks like UltraGauge is what I want.

It would also be interesting to find out if the miles remaining accuracy could be improved. I went to dry with 20 miles showing on ours and was very lucky to be able to coast 2 blocks to a shell station and roll right up to the pump. I must say the car coasts very well and I didn't lose steering or encounter any other problem due to no-engine.

this is best car I've ever owned except possibly 1968 BMW 2002.

john

Last edited by j ferguson; 04-09-2014 at 10:17 AM.
Old 04-09-2014, 10:17 PM   #6
Jburks
Focus Addict

Fan#: 145009
What I Drive: 2014 Ford Focus Hatchback SE RR DCT

FF Reputation: 1 Jburks Good Standing Member
I agree 100%! i would much rather have a digital speedo and vairous other engine readouts in the center screen. I feel like if the car is capable of reading this stuff which it already is then we should be able to show it on that screen. A scangauge would work, so would a xcal4 tuner if you are wanting to tune. It would just be nice to have it built in though.
Build thread-http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=382642
Old 04-10-2014, 01:34 AM   #7
yellowcord
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 113793
What I Drive: '13 Sterling Grey Ti. 5 spd

FF Reputation: 1 yellowcord Good Standing Member
Easiest way, I think is to get an a Bluetooth OBD2 device and install Torque on an Android device. Below is a screenshot of a custom Torque screen that I made using the pro version.

Old 04-10-2014, 05:25 AM   #8
j ferguson
Focus Enthusiast

Torque?

What a neat idea. I also thought about building my own with an Arduino Micro controller. I spent Spring a year ago building something like it for our boat - displays rpm, depth, apparent windspeed and direction, magnetic heading, distance and bearing to a fix, OAT, barometric pressure, speed over the ground and gps position. it's true that I could have bought something that did most of it but not all.

problem here is i would like the read out between the tach and speedo. I guess no third party developers think it worth their time to hack the system and it isn't worth Ford's time either.

too bad, too. It would also have been nice to have an easier reading steam-gauge speedo.

Problem with things like this is that no good deed goes unpunished. If Ford gave us an option like we're asking for, the next thing is they'd have two people tied up full time answering complaints and problems with it. I suppose I could make a case that they should do it because the gauge is unreadable in my driving position - bad combination of trunk height, leg and arm length - and they need to make the car safe to drive.

But I don't do stuff like that.
Old 04-24-2014, 05:54 PM   #9
Elizabeth
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 89280
What I Drive: '12 Yellow Focus SE stick, 17"rims

FF Reputation: 14 Elizabeth Great Standing Member
Have to agree an option to pop up a LARGE digital MPH (or KPH) reading in the driver dash area readout would be nice.
All I keep up in that is the mpg data.. Since when driving it really is of no use generallly.. a MPH readout would at least be useful most of the time.
Old 04-24-2014, 08:16 PM   #10
j ferguson
Focus Enthusiast

Hi Elizabeth,
I've been on the road a lot lately; 25,000 miles on car since new last June. I'm warming up to sending a letter to Ford requesting this improvement. I find the blue screen easy to see and the speedometer hard to read. It's true that the cruise control on the Focus seems able to control the speed very accurately although I note that I get one mph more than I set it for per the third party GPS. Same thing on another Focus we rented earlier in the week.

But when one is passing, it's nice to know immediately what speed one's reached and a digital reading on the blue screen would be far better than trying to read the actual speedometer.

I wonder if this is the sort of request one might make on Ford's customer idea site?

Bookmarks & Social Networks