P0133, O2 Sensor, Check Engine Light, Code reset - Focus Fanatics
Focus Fanatics Ford Focus Forums
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Technical Chat

General Technical Chat This section is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 09-13-2010, 10:01 AM   #1
Newkleus
Bexar County

Fan#: 30810
What I Drive: 2002 CD Silver Focus SVT

FF Reputation: 5 Newkleus Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
P0133, O2 Sensor, Check Engine Light, Code reset

When you guys are getting P0133, does it always go away when the O2 sensor is replaced?

Here is what I am dealing with. The Mechanic put on the front o2 for me as I was getting P0133, and had a CEL when I brought the car in to the mechanic.

Now does the CEL immediately go off when the O2 sensor is installed? When I picked up the car on 9/3 after the O2 was installed the check engine light was on. (The mechanic said the code was reset). Beginning to not believe him.

The CEL stayed on from 9/1 until 9/11 when the code was reset at autozone in front of my two eyes. But the scanner at autozone still revealed P0133. Does the CEL go off automatically following installation of a new O2 sensor? Or does it take a number of drive cycles for that to happen? Why was I still throwing P0133, even though the new sensor was installed?

I got the new O2 sensor from Steve at Tousley.

Please help

SVT SQUAD #344
2002 CD-Silver Focus SVT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-13-2010, 05:19 PM   #2
sailor
"Elder"

Fan#: 57268
What I Drive: 2004 Pitch Black ZTS 2.3 5spd.

FF Reputation: 57 sailor Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Posted via FF MobileNeeds reset, or intermittent codes would disappear....
Old 09-13-2010, 06:37 PM   #3
6SPD_soul
Focus Addict

Fan#: 53637
What I Drive: 2003 Comp Orange EAP SVT

FF Reputation: 24 6SPD_soul Great Standing Member
With most cars the CEL won't immediately turn off even if the condition that tripped it is no longer present, not sure why. I think if you disconnect the battery for a bit it will start from scratch and if the condition is corrected the code should no longer be present, but then the ECU will also have to re-learn the conditions of the vehicle and will not run optimally for a bit, but those are likely changes you won't even notice. Otherwise just drive the car for a while, if the condition is fixed the CEL will go off pretty soon. I wouldn't worry too much about it, the technician probably did his job right.

EDIT: Here is more info on resetting the CEL. http://www.auto-facts.org/resetcheckenginelight.html
Old 09-17-2010, 08:08 AM   #4
Newkleus
Bexar County

Thanks for the information guys. I went to autozone, it still scanned P0133 8 days after the O2 sensor was installed. The guy reset it on 9/11 and the CEL hasn't come back on since.
SVT SQUAD #344
2002 CD-Silver Focus SVT
Old 09-17-2010, 03:03 PM   #5
03FocusZX3
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 61785
What I Drive: 2003 Liquid Grey ZX3

FF Reputation: 1 03FocusZX3 Good Standing Member
gratz! lol
Old 08-15-2012, 09:53 AM   #6
Newkleus
Bexar County

Check Engine Light came back on again two days ago. Not sure what code it is for, but is it possible that the O2 sensor needs to be replaced again?
SVT SQUAD #344
2002 CD-Silver Focus SVT
Old 08-15-2012, 08:15 PM   #7
Platinumethics
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 64903
What I Drive: 2002 Black ZX5

FF Reputation: 1 Platinumethics Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newkleus View Post
Check Engine Light came back on again two days ago. Not sure what code it is for, but is it possible that the O2 sensor needs to be replaced again?
Your sensor really shouldn't trip the CEL a year later. I had both upstream and downstream on my car for 4 1/2 years after I originally replaced them, only to find out it was my cat that was the problem and not the sensors. You may want to test a new sensor on them, but try to see if you can find someone with the same car to test their sensor. It may be a waste of a new sensor only to find out your problem could be something else. When my cat went, it threw sensor codes, even after I replaced them. Try to solve it cheaper unless you know for a fact what it is.
Old 08-16-2012, 10:07 AM   #8
Newkleus
Bexar County

It has been two years, btw, with the new O2 sensor. I have like half of heatshield for the catalytic converter, and the top of it rattles like hell. The bottom part of the heatshield for the catalytic converter is gone. I will go to Autozone this week and get the codes scanned.
SVT SQUAD #344
2002 CD-Silver Focus SVT
Old 08-16-2012, 08:47 PM   #9
Platinumethics
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 64903
What I Drive: 2002 Black ZX5

FF Reputation: 1 Platinumethics Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newkleus View Post
It has been two years, btw, with the new O2 sensor. I have like half of heatshield for the catalytic converter, and the top of it rattles like hell. The bottom part of the heatshield for the catalytic converter is gone. I will go to Autozone this week and get the codes scanned.
If you plan on keeping the car a while, definitely get the heat shield replaced. I wrapped the headers and pipes with lava rock wrap when I replaced my cat. The temperature control helps avoid excess heat getting to items in your engine bay that can't withstand high heat, such as plastic, some hoses. It also helps the cat operate at a more stable temperature.
Old 08-17-2012, 10:33 AM   #10
Newkleus
Bexar County

CEL went off yesterday afternoon after starting the car, and was off again this morning when I started the car.
SVT SQUAD #344
2002 CD-Silver Focus SVT

Bookmarks & Social Networks