What neat tricks and tips have you've found since owning? - Page 79 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 Focus

MK3 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the third generation 2012-Current Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 11-28-2012, 12:55 PM   #781
halfmoonclip
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 87235
What I Drive: '12 Ingot Silver SEL

FF Reputation: 1 halfmoonclip Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by stang74shelby View Post
Yes they do, as for the Mrs and Daughter refusing... well the daughter ya have control over lol... I think everyone should learn to drive a manual just like the rest of the world does... the US is the only country that as long as you can drive a go cart you can get a license
Stang, you are preaching to the choir. I've a 10 year old Wrangler (that's been in and out of places I could barely walk) with a manual, and I still love to drive the thing, even tho' she's an old girl and you don't want to hurry the shifts our of consideration for the synchros. In low range, you can start in 5th if you wish.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-28-2012, 12:59 PM   #782
halfmoonclip
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by suss6052 View Post
All 2012+ Ford Focus models with the automatic transmission use the Powershift DCT with or without select shift. They all also have advancetrac stability control to meet the federal guidelines.
Suss, I'm starting to suspect that two things are going on with mine.
One may be the clutches, as I'm getting rough engagement, but I'm also starting to think that the stability/traction/antilock is kicking in when is should not be. Maybe one is feeding the other; the clutch engages roughly, and the stability discovers wheelspin and buzzes the brakes.

Now if the rocket scientists at the dealership can figure it out...
Thanks,
Moon
Old 11-28-2012, 01:12 PM   #783
suss6052
Focus Addict

Fan#: 95752
What I Drive: 2013 Ford Focus ST2 Ingot Silver

FF Reputation: 23 suss6052 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by halfmoonclip View Post
Suss, I'm starting to suspect that two things are going on with mine.
One may be the clutches, as I'm getting rough engagement, but I'm also starting to think that the stability/traction/antilock is kicking in when is should not be. Maybe one is feeding the other; the clutch engages roughly, and the stability discovers wheelspin and buzzes the brakes.

Now if the rocket scientists at the dealership can figure it out...
Thanks,
Moon
If the clutch is slipping and there is a sufficient difference between the input and output shaft speeds this could cause the traction control at least to over react and try to reign in the "wheel spin" which would cause a feedback loop. A quick inspection first by removing the undertray/ aero shield would look for an external sign of the internal leak, but that might not show anything unless the leak had gotten sufficiently bad enough to show outside the case and the bell housing.

That is if its a clutch issue and not a mechatronic actuation issue, but the more common failure point has been the input/ output shaft seals weeping transmission fluid onto the clutch plates destroying them. However at least one rear main seal leak was also reported to have destroyed the clutch pack as well.
Old 11-28-2012, 05:49 PM   #784
halfmoonclip
Focus Enthusiast

Suss, the issue has gotten progressively worse over time; (I'm at 13K); would that follow the 'leaking seals' theory?

Thanks,
Moon
Old 11-28-2012, 06:21 PM   #785
PratoN
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 88058
What I Drive: 2012 Kona Blue Ti Hatchback, DCT

FF Reputation: 10 PratoN Great Standing Member
Quote:
Suss, the issue has gotten progressively worse over time; (I'm at 13K); would that follow the 'leaking seals' theory?
Take off the aero shield on the bottom of the car and check for an oil leak where the bell housing is. It would be slick - not thick/honey-colored (that's rust inhibitor). If there is an oil leak, take it to the dealer for TSB 11-12-13, if not... you're SOL.
Old 11-28-2012, 06:27 PM   #786
suss6052
Focus Addict

Fan#: 95752
What I Drive: 2013 Ford Focus ST2 Ingot Silver

FF Reputation: 23 suss6052 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Quote:

Thanks,
Moon
From what I've heard it seems to be the case that if something is going wrong with the seals it gets worse over time. I can't diagnose the car over the internet though, and its likely that the dealer will try to claim its normal, but a slipping clutch and or other drivability issues seem to be signs that something is badly wrong.
Old 11-28-2012, 06:35 PM   #787
halfmoonclip
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by suss6052 View Post
From what I've heard it seems to be the case that if something is going wrong with the seals it gets worse over time. I can't diagnose the car over the internet though, and its likely that the dealer will try to claim its normal, but a slipping clutch and or other drivability issues seem to be signs that something is badly wrong.
The car is currently in my dealer's clutches; the service manager seems a decent enough guy, but the shop is kinda clueless. They managed to screw up an oil change if that tells you anything.

As noted in some of the above, the loaner I'm currently using displays none of the unpleasant stuff.

I'll touch base with the garage soon (the use of the loaner is pretty open ended) and discuss the clutch thing; it's been on my suspicion list.

Unhappily, the first time they tried it for a day or so, they claimed they couldn't find any problems. I'm afraid this time the company line will be 'they all do that'.

Moon
Old 11-29-2012, 01:28 PM   #788
TiPilot
Focus Addict

Fan#: 93667
What I Drive: 2012 Ingot Silver Ti Hatch

FF Reputation: 1 TiPilot Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtncpa View Post
There is a setting to turn the voice off on the navigation. All you get are the "bongs". I find this very helpful if I sort of know where I am going but I am not 100%. If I am going to a new place I leave the voice on.
How?

I know you can turn off ALL noises, but how do you get rid of Sync Lady and keep only the chimes?

Build Date: 12/2/2011 | New APIM: 4/4/2012
MFT: Factory v2.11, 3/14/12 Web -> v3.0.2, 9/24/12 Web -> v3.2.2, 1/24/13 Web -> v3.5.1, 8/13/13 Web -> v3.6
Old 11-29-2012, 01:30 PM   #789
gtncpa
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 86143
What I Drive: 2012 Black Titanium Hatch

FF Reputation: 2 gtncpa Good Standing Member
There are two settings. One turns off her "Say a command" and one turns off the turn by turn. Press the gear button next to the house on the bottom of the screen and look for navigation options. If you dont see it I will check in my car later and take a pic of the screen.
Old 11-29-2012, 01:42 PM   #790
TiPilot
Focus Addict

Fan#: 93667
What I Drive: 2012 Ingot Silver Ti Hatch

FF Reputation: 1 TiPilot Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtncpa View Post
There are two settings. One turns off her "Say a command" and one turns off the turn by turn. Press the gear button next to the house on the bottom of the screen and look for navigation options. If you dont see it I will check in my car later and take a pic of the screen.
Ahh, gotcha. I had a feeling it was buried somewhere in the Settings. I'll have to take a look when I drive home tonight. Good catch!

Build Date: 12/2/2011 | New APIM: 4/4/2012
MFT: Factory v2.11, 3/14/12 Web -> v3.0.2, 9/24/12 Web -> v3.2.2, 1/24/13 Web -> v3.5.1, 8/13/13 Web -> v3.6

Bookmarks & Social Networks