DRL to Fogs - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 Focus

MK3 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the third generation 2012-Current Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 08-10-2011, 08:13 AM   #1
TitaniumGero
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 88508
What I Drive: 2012 White Platinum Titanium Focus

FF Reputation: 3 TitaniumGero Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
DRL to Fogs

Hey

Was wondering if anyone knows how to rewire DRL's to turn on fogs instead of the low beams? I've tried the dealer and they said they have no idea how to do this.

Gero

Last edited by TitaniumGero; 08-11-2011 at 01:17 PM.
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-10-2011, 09:40 AM   #2
12NYfocus
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 87770
What I Drive: 2009 H3 waiting for my Focus

FF Reputation: 1 12NYfocus Good Standing Member
You would have to know the wiring. If you can find out what wires control drl's I would think you could probably re-route them to the fogs. Unless there is a voltage difference but it should all be 12v. Maybe someone at the dealer can get you the wiring schematics. Hope this helps
Old 08-10-2011, 10:34 AM   #3
Skippy905
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 84128
What I Drive: 2006 Honda Pilot

FF Reputation: 2 Skippy905 Good Standing Member
That's BS from the dealership. They should know how to do that. I'm pretty sure that your local Canadian Tire could get the wiring diagram and do it for you.
Go to a different dealership and ask the same question, and see what response you get.
Old 08-10-2011, 12:52 PM   #4
Bigbot45
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 87124
What I Drive: 2014 Q50 - Formally 2012 Ti Hatch

Points 488, Level 9
Points: 488, Level: 9 Points: 488, Level: 9 Points: 488, Level: 9
Level Up 76% Completed
Level up: 76% Level up: 76% Level up: 76%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 2 Bigbot45 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeroSportSE View Post
Hey

Was wondering if anyone knows how to rewire DRL's turn on fogs instead of the low beams? I've tried the dealer and they said they have no idea how to do this.

Gero
I doubt this can be solved by wiring. Remember the lights are all controlled by a module that can be re-programmed. I did exactly this with my Jetta. I used the VAG-COM and had to switch a bit in one of the control modules. My DRL's then went from my low beams to my fogs.

If you can find a willing tech at a Ford dealer; maybe they can search the modules and change the coding?
1990 Mazda Protege <-- 1986 Subaru GL-10 Turbo
1986 Volvo 240 DL
Old 08-10-2011, 12:59 PM   #5
immaengineer
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 87350
What I Drive: 2012, White, Ford Focus

FF Reputation: 1 immaengineer Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigbot45 View Post
I doubt this can be solved by wiring. Remember the lights are all controlled by a module that can be re-programmed. I did exactly this with my Jetta. I used the VAG-COM and had to switch a bit in one of the control modules. My DRL's then went from my low beams to my fogs.

If you can find a willing tech at a Ford dealer; maybe they can search the modules and change the coding?
Does Ford have an equilvalent of "VAG-COM"? My dad has the CC so I got a friend at a VW dealership to add a bunch of Euro spec features, I don't know if Ford has a specific device that would allow you to make those kind of changes on the fly.
Old 08-10-2011, 01:04 PM   #6
e350 coupe
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 84808
What I Drive: 2010 E-350 Coupe/2012 Titanium Htbk

FF Reputation: 5 e350 coupe Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Search on net for web electric for their DRL module $39.95 shipped and keeps all functions operational. Next have DRL on headlights disabled by dealer or relay and fuse removal. Fiesta forum has lots of info for 2011 fiesta on this. Finally order replacement high power H-11's LED bulbs to replace regular H-11's as heat of regular bulbs will distort Fog Light housing and the LED's only use 5 watts instead of 55 watts per side. You can also get H-11's LED's in yellow which should make them really visible.

Now that you have done this you could install HID's in low beam without worrying about reduced voltage from factory DRL's.

Hope this helps

Tim
Old 08-10-2011, 02:41 PM   #7
mattlqx
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 87201
What I Drive: '12 SE 5-dr MT Yellow, '13 Boss 302

FF Reputation: 1 mattlqx Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by immaengineer View Post
Does Ford have an equilvalent of "VAG-COM"? My dad has the CC so I got a friend at a VW dealership to add a bunch of Euro spec features, I don't know if Ford has a specific device that would allow you to make those kind of changes on the fly.
Ford does not have that kind of programming on their cars. VAG has many platforms and they're all global so it's in their interests to make the programming as generic and universal as possible, thus why you get all these crazy tweaks you can do on VWs, Audis, etc. Ford on the other hand creates cars mostly for continental areas with little flexibility. Though this is going more and more the other way.
Old 08-10-2011, 03:10 PM   #8
Skippy905
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 84128
What I Drive: 2006 Honda Pilot

FF Reputation: 2 Skippy905 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigbot45 View Post

Actually, the module just controls if you actually get DRL's or not. As in the US module does not get DRL, and the Canadian one does get DRL.

The matter is just which lights you send that power too. That you should be able to do with wiring, although I'm not really sure to be honest.
Old 08-10-2011, 03:43 PM   #9
immaengineer
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 87350
What I Drive: 2012, White, Ford Focus

FF Reputation: 1 immaengineer Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippy905 View Post
Actually, the module just controls if you actually get DRL's or not. As in the US module does not get DRL, and the Canadian one does get DRL.

The matter is just which lights you send that power too. That you should be able to do with wiring, although I'm not really sure to be honest.
Splicing and switching the wiring is the old way of doing things. Our cars computers are advanced enough that they could just send the power there. I'm sure there is a way of doing it. We really need to get some Ford service techs on here...
Old 08-10-2011, 04:17 PM   #10
TitaniumGero
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 88508
What I Drive: 2012 White Platinum Titanium Focus

FF Reputation: 3 TitaniumGero Good Standing Member
Thanks for the replies. My car is only a couple weeks old and I'm too chicken to play with the lighting. My dealer wont do it for me either because they're too chicken to do it also.... Because the vehicle is so new and I live in a city with a total of 8 2012 Focus', they have no experience tampering with the vehicle... They cant even install my remote start! I live in the Yukon btw lol

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.