Focus Fanatics Forum banner

did you buy an extended warranty?

• Nope. Included warranty only.

Votes: 73 47.1%
  • Yes. PowertrainCARE (29 key components covered).

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • Yes. BaseCARE (84 key components covered).

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • Yes. ExtraCARE (113 key components covered).

Votes: 5 3.2%
  • Yes. PremiumCARE (500+ key components covered).

Votes: 75 48.4%

Did You Buy An EXTENDED WARRANTY For Your New Focus?

46K views 258 replies 109 participants last post by  Tiger-Heli 
#1 ·
honestly...there are a TON of things that can go wrong in these highly computerized/gadget-filled Foci...did you get some sort of extended warranty for your new car? i'm on the fence!!!! [scratch]

if you did...which plan and what duration did you get?

See less See more
#94 ·
QUESTION: Does the PREMIUM Extended Care warranty ADD ANYTHING that is not already in my new car warranty?

Or . . . does i simply extend the length of the warranty?

#95 ·
it will extend the length both in terms of mileage and time. whichever one occurs first will end the extended warranty, but it is longer than the factory warranty.

and as you said the premium will not add anything, but plans less than the premium will not cover as much as the factory warranty does. be sure to read all the documentation when you purchase a ESP to know what is and isn't covered.

#97 ·
I did get the extended warranty PremiumCARE (unable to vote). I think this is something I will always get when I purchase a new car. I had bought the extended warranty on my last purchase and it paid itself many times. I was very happy to have bought it. I like the peace of mind that the little extra cost is giving me.

#98 ·
Some things are worth what they cost for peace of mind alone. PremiumCare being one of them for me as well. I have LOJACK on both my mustangs and will likely get it on my Focus as well. It is also a peace of mind kind of thing. I have an accquantance that has had his mustang stolen twice. LOJACK found it both times.

#99 ·
Having had a few repairs which paid for the warranty on my last car, i bought the Premium warranty, 7 years, 35,000mi (as i do not drive much at all (retired))
And I absolutely hate paying for repairs.
The last few years of owning my SVT i really just let anything go i could. The car is nnearly worthless due to so many small issues. It runs fine, just looks like a junkheap. After beating it for 12 years..

#100 · (Edited)
I do not drive much at all (retired))
And I absolutely hate paying for repairs.
Since you don't drive much, won't time run out way before you put enough
miles on the car to wear something out?
And if you hate paying for repairs, didn't you already pay for them in advance
with the warranty?

#102 ·
I think rentals are included in mine... but as I said earlier, my dealer must have sold me some other type of extended warranty because it was labeled "Wrap" on the sheet... Maybe I should go through with a fine tooth comb and actually see everything it covers...

#110 ·
I purchased a Ford Premium Care ESP from Zeigler tonight.
Anderson Koch was $480 and Zeigler was $400 for a 6/60 plan, $100 deductible. I added the rental coverage for $85, so my total was $485. That will double my warranty period and will cover all repairs for the time I have the car. The plan states SYNC is covered, I hope that also includes MFT. I went back and forth on whether or not to purchase a plan and I'm glad I did. Some will say only a sucker purchases an extended warranty, I like the peace of mind.

#114 ·
Ford needs to increase the warranty as all other major auto's have. That said, I got it. I kept my last car for 10 years, also a Ford. I make sure we get the full value out of it, and really only towards year 5 did I have major repairs that I wished I had warranty, it would have been far less expensive to purchase it. Note, that you can try to negotiate them down a little bit.

#115 ·
I have never purchased an extended warranty. I always thought this was just a dealer profit builder. My previous Focus was a 2001 ZX3 purchased new. Ten years and 129K miles later, the major service items other than maintenance/wear and tear were failed front coil springs (covered under a Ford TSB at over 100K miles at the time!) and ignition interlock failure 90% covered by Ford well out of warranty.

The car did develop a slow leak in the AC evaporator at around 100K miles; I just needed to recharge the system once a year. Even if I had the extended coverage, I doubt it would have still been in effect at the eight year mark.

Of course, I realize that every situation is different but I tend to agree with the earlier statements that the "house" usually wins at this game.

#116 ·
I Brought my Quote from Zeigler to my dealer and they were pissed!! They told me they couldn't touch that price. They couldn't even buy it that low. They told me the Ford rep was in there the week before telling them to sell more Warranties and they asked if they could get a better price. The Rep said no that is what it is. Then when they found out Zeigler could they were very mad. Well I didn't buy it from them that's for sure. Zeigler got the business. 7 year 100,000 mile with the Rental upgrades for a little over $1500. Worth it with all this Technology..

#117 ·
Forgive the stupid question...

I hear everyone talking about Zeigler insurance being better...but when I google Zeigler, I get dealerships, wine, and food nutrition. Where do you go to get a quote? [scratch]

#118 ·
#120 ·
If I buy a Ziegler extended warranty, & I have a problem in the first 3 years, how does it work?

Is it covered by the existing factory warranty or does buying a Ziegler void that?

I only have 250 miles on mine, I was planning on getting one from Ziegler soon....

Thx!

#121 ·
You have the top end coverage including rental first 3 years (within mileage) and then whatever you have from Ziegler takes over. In any event...since they're both ford warranties you'd be able to go to any ford dealership in Canada or US to have it serviced.

#129 ·
The Ziegler 'plan' IS the Ford plan. Z just sells it, they have NOTHING to do with it once you buy it. Then is is just Ford Extended warranty

Also, things like first day rental ARE covered by the Ford extended warranty from day one.. If your dealer is not happy to hand you a loaner..
So some stuff is covered anyway, 100% for three years, powertrain for five, emissions..
And even with the extended warranty, normal maintanence stuff is still your responsibility.
I am getting the 7 year, 48,000 mi primium care. $0.00 co-pay, same day rental for $625. [cheers]
I cancelled the dealer where i bought my Focus where I got offered 7 year 36,000mi with a $100 co-pay no rental I paid them $1,400 for...
I feel like a fool for buying it... I got 100% of my money back.[80?]

$600 is worth 7 full years of no big expenses...

#126 ·
Yes, I bought one. With this much technology, it seemed to me to pay for it than be sorry. And it is transferable, so if I sell it tomorrow, the buyer will have it for the rest of the period : 6 years.

#127 ·
How much are people paying for the $0 deductible PremiumCARE? The Ford Owner site quotes me $1130 all at once, and sites like Ziegler for whatever reason won't let me get a quote being a FL resident..

EDIT: just did a 5/60k with first day and enhanced rental coverage... came out to $690!!! E-mailed the quote to myself, will bring it in to my dealership this week and see what they say.

#130 ·
"Due to Florida State Insurance policy regulations, we are not able to sell discounted Ford ESP Plans to Florida residents."

:( this sucks.

#132 ·
You can buy from Ziegler anytime up to 12 months from the date of purchase, and it will still be considered a new vehicle. I just bought 7 year 100K $200 deductible coverage for $690. The local dealership was going to sell me a 7/60k/$100 plan for $1,295 - and that was about a grand less than the "full retail" quote sheet showed. Well worth going on line for it. Again, the address is, www.zeiglerfordesp.com.

#133 ·
I got the Premium 4 yr/120K, paid $1400. ($500 off). Wish I would have seen this first, I would have gotten it online. Having said that, my Titanium is fully loaded and I drive about 40K KM/yr.
Laptops and cars are the only things I get ESP on as well. To me, well worth it. I've pd $3400 for trans, $900 for A/C repair and so on. And this plan covers almost everything. Seeing some of the issues here, I'm happy I have it, because I don't want to have to come up with $3400 for a trans again. : )

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.