Did You Buy An EXTENDED WARRANTY For Your New Focus? - Page 25 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 Focus

MK3 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the third generation 2012-Current Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

View Poll Results: did you buy an extended warranty?
Nope. Included warranty only. 73 47.10%
Yes. PowertrainCARE (29 key components covered). 1 0.65%
Yes. BaseCARE (84 key components covered). 1 0.65%
Yes. ExtraCARE (113 key components covered). 5 3.23%
Yes. PremiumCARE (500+ key components covered). 75 48.39%
Voters: 155. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-25-2012, 11:50 PM   #241
sirhawkeye
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 83605
What I Drive: 2012 Focus SE Ingot Silver HB

FF Reputation: 1 sirhawkeye Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger-Heli View Post
Okay - First off - you put 1000 miles on the car in 2 weeks - if that is typical driving for you, you will put 25K miles a year on the car and be out of warranty in 5 years, regardless so 5years/125K is the most warranty you should be looking at.

Unless you bought the car on the east coast and won't put that much mileage on it routinely.

Second - the dealers can reasonably charge what they want for the warranties, so it's not uncommon the for $1500 off price to be higher than the online prices.

Third - oddly, I don't think CPO comes into the warranty or that you have to be the original owner - the price goes up about $100 after the car is 1yr/12K miles from the original date of service and again after the original 3-year/36K warranty runs out.

Fourth - check the various plans - but there is a LOT of things the PT warranty doesn't cover. MFT you can probably deal with at a junkyard, but think about things like power steering, suspension, brakes, ABS modules, alternators, AC compressors, heater cores, etc.

Fifth - I really doubt it would be $2K to change a fuel pump. PITA to drop the tank, but most cars are that way these days.

Basically, it's going to be your call how much coverage and deductible you want, and yes, some of the coverage does overlap what you already have.

I can see this both ways.

On the one hand, it sucks to pay extra for coverage that you may never need b/c you already have it (in essence, rather than a 7-year/125K warranty, you're buying a 4-year/89K warranty in all cases, b/c the factory warranty covers the first 3/36 BTB.)

OTOH - the car is essentially new (barely broken in), so if the ESP warranty made sense to you on a brand new car, it should still make sense now.
When they say $1500... $1500 off from what amount? Because I think the PremiumCare for my car would have been $1500 when it was new for a 5/75k warranty (about $200 for the 6/100k warranty through ESP). I'd find out how much it would have been without the $1500 off, because for all you know, they are trying to sell you a $3000 warranty at $1500, that could have originally cost $1500 anyway, making you think you you're saving $1500, when in fact you'd be saving nothing and paying full price.

I've seen similar things happen at dealerships.It happens all the time with these "Trade in and we'll pay off your existing loan no matter what you owe..." No, it's more like you (the owner) will be paying it off on your own, we just add the difference to your new loan and the loan is essentially what you owed before plus your new car price.

I'd double check your numbers, and then make a move from there. Maybe call another dealer and play dumb, and say, "If I were to buy a new 2013 focus, how much would an extended warranty be?"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-26-2012, 12:01 AM   #242
sirhawkeye
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Okay - First off - you put 1000 miles on the car in 2 weeks - if that is typical driving for you, you will put 25K miles a year on the car and be out of warranty in 5 years, regardless so 5years/125K is the most warranty you should be looking at.

Unless you bought the car on the east coast and won't put that much mileage on it routinely.

Second - the dealers can reasonably charge what they want for the warranties, so it's not uncommon the for $1500 off price to be higher than the online prices.

Third - oddly, I don't think CPO comes into the warranty or that you have to be the original owner - the price goes up about $100 after the car is 1yr/12K miles from the original date of service and again after the original 3-year/36K warranty runs out.

Fourth - check the various plans - but there is a LOT of things the PT warranty doesn't cover. MFT you can probably deal with at a junkyard, but think about things like power steering, suspension, brakes, ABS modules, alternators, AC compressors, heater cores, etc.

Fifth - I really doubt it would be $2K to change a fuel pump. PITA to drop the tank, but most cars are that way these days.

Basically, it's going to be your call how much coverage and deductible you want, and yes, some of the coverage does overlap what you already have.

I can see this both ways.

On the one hand, it sucks to pay extra for coverage that you may never need b/c you already have it (in essence, rather than a 7-year/125K warranty, you're buying a 4-year/89K warranty in all cases, b/c the factory warranty covers the first 3/36 BTB.)

OTOH - the car is essentially new (barely broken in), so if the ESP warranty made sense to you on a brand new car, it should still make sense now.
When they say $1500... $1500 off from what amount? Because I think the PremiumCare for my car would have been $1500 when it was new for a 5/75k warranty (about $200 for the 6/100k warranty through ESP). I'd find out how much it would have been without the $1500 off, because for all you know, they are trying to sell you a $3000 warranty at $1500, that could have originally cost $1500 anyway, making you think you you're saving $1500, when in fact you'd be saving nothing and paying full price.

I've seen similar things happen at dealerships.It happens all the time with these "Trade in and we'll pay off your existing loan no matter what you owe..." No, it's more like you (the owner) will be paying it off on your own, we just add the difference to your new loan and the loan is essentially what you owed before plus your new car price.

I'd double check your numbers, and then make a move from there. Maybe call another dealer and play dumb, and say, "If I were to buy a new 2013 focus, how much would an extended warranty be?"

In my view, dealerships prey on using "You'll save this and that" when in fact those numbers alone mean (or should mean) virtually nothing until you relate them to something. Unless they gave you a quote of how much it would have cost (with documentation) I wouldn't believe the $1500. do your homework. I got mine for $500 for 6/100k warranty through a repuatable third party (not Ford ESP because they wanted $1500 for the same warranty). The only things mine doesn't cover is window motors, door locks, brakes, batteries, or other items that are damaged due to my fault--accidents, etc. It covers the engine and everything in the engine compartment, radio, heater, AC unit, and electronics (minus the window motors which they consider a "wearable" component that is not a neccesity to driving the car--the car can be safely driven without working windows, although it may be illegal in some states in my opinion).

Point being, do your homework, and make your decision based on what you found. It's a matter of preference. Don't forget like many say, you'll need it if you don't get, and you won't need it if you get it. I'd like to error on the side of getting it and not needing it, because over the life of the vehicle, it is not so bad when you span it out over the vehicles life. If you only plan to keep it for two years, then maybe not, but if you're in it for the long term, I'd strongly suggest you consider it. But get your numbers worked out first before you make your decision. Just My opinion.
Old 09-26-2012, 06:53 AM   #243
lewisra
Focus Addict

Fan#: 93289
What I Drive: 2012 Tuxedo Black SEL

FF Reputation: 3 lewisra Good Standing Member
MFT is under warranty for 4 years unlimited miles. Or at least mine is after the 3.0.2 upgrade.
Old 09-26-2012, 06:58 AM   #244
lewisra
Focus Addict

Fan#: 93289
What I Drive: 2012 Tuxedo Black SEL

FF Reputation: 3 lewisra Good Standing Member
Quote:
(in essence, rather than a 7-year/125K warranty, you're buying a 4-year/89K warranty in all cases, b/c the factory warranty covers the first 3/36 BTB.)

If you drive that many miles the original will expire after 2 years, so you're buying a 5yr/89k warranty.
Old 09-28-2012, 01:01 AM   #245
sirhawkeye
Focus Enthusiast

From what I hear, MFT seems to be a pain. I don't have it, but about half of the reviews I've read thus far, people complain about it not working (I'm sort of glad I passed on it--I considered it for a while before buying my car, but in the end, it didn't justify the extra $1000+ price increase to me).

Me personally, if I drive the car as much as you do, I'd just get the Powertrain warranty, and not the premium care. If I'm correct, PremiumCare also includes oil changes and general service, which (after I calculated it out later on my 2010 Focus) didn't matter much. I found that I saved only about $100 over the course of about 3 years, which wasn't worth the extra hassle i nthe end.

The warranty that I got for my 2012 Focus only covers the powertrain (engine and trans, and everything enclosed within them). For me, that was the biggest concern. Window motors are cheap. RAdios can be replaced with aftermarket units for $200, etc, so to me, the warranty on the accessories and stuff outside the engine wasn't a big deal to me. And since they don't warrant brakes, tires or batteries. Over the past 10 years, the auto industry has improved most components in cars (it used to be that window motors would only last about 7-10 years, now most people don't need to replace them until 10+ years, unless they abuse them--like trying to roll down a frozen window in winter time).

If you're concerned about your investment, get the warranty. On a car especially, there are a lot of precision-tuned parts that can go wrong. If the car were brand new without any noticable issues, I would say you could probably pass because the mfr warranty should cover anything that comes up early on in the car's life (which from my experience has been the case--any major failures I've had--knock on wood--have happend within the first year or two of owning the car, all while under the factory warranty). But a used car, a warranty may be a good thing, espeically if you don't know anything about the previous owner. The problem that I see with most cars is that for example, you don't know if they raced the thing from day 1, or if they drove it like a racecar from day one (possibly thus causing components to incorrectly seat/break-in), or if they ran it low on oil, or used cheap conventional oil, etc. There are so many variables that you can't confirm with most used cars, so I would probably get the warranty in this case, if you can afford it, in this case. And if it is truely only $1500 for the warranty, it may be worth it, especially as the car begins to accumulate miles (although aside from the trans issues people complain about--and the MFT issues--I'd say that the Ford Focus has been getting better over the years, both in customer ratings, and reliability).
Old 09-28-2012, 01:29 PM   #246
Lipshurt
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 92314
What I Drive: 2012 blue focus SE

FF Reputation: 2 Lipshurt Good Standing Member
when i got ny 2012 from north county ford in vista ca., they showed me the ford premium warranty brochure, so i got the 100k premium package....or so i thought. when i was at a different dealer they said the computer showed no extended warranty. So i looked through my paperwork and found no warranty info other that one small check box on one of the forms that said "portfolio extended warranty"....that company gets a "poor" rating by the BBB!

so i went in to north county ford, asked to see a finance person, and she said that the whole management staff had just been fired, and she called someone up who said to switch my warranty to the ford ESP premium, no questions asked.
Then she apologized, and asked me to consider their service department, as the management staff there had also been fired. I will give them a try, even though i was really turned off by the old service manager and see if things are better there now.
Old 09-28-2012, 03:32 PM   #247
Justintoxicated
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 103386
What I Drive: Silver Focus 2012 Titanium MFT

FF Reputation: 1 Justintoxicated Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirhawkeye View Post

In my view, dealerships prey on using "You'll save this and that" when in fact those numbers alone mean (or should mean) virtually nothing until you relate them to something. Unless they gave you a quote of how much it would have cost (with documentation) I wouldn't believe the $1500. do your homework. I got mine for $500 for 6/100k warranty through a repuatable third party (not Ford ESP because they wanted $1500 for the same warranty). The only things mine doesn't cover is window motors, door locks, brakes, batteries, or other items that are damaged due to my fault--accidents, etc. It covers the engine and everything in the engine compartment, radio, heater, AC unit, and electronics (minus the window motors which they consider a "wearable" component that is not a neccesity to driving the car--the car can be safely driven without working windows, although it may be illegal in some states in my opinion).

Point being, do your homework, and make your decision based on what you found. It's a matter of preference. Don't forget like many say, you'll need it if you don't get, and you won't need it if you get it. I'd like to error on the side of getting it and not needing it, because over the life of the vehicle, it is not so bad when you span it out over the vehicles life. If you only plan to keep it for two years, then maybe not, but if you're in it for the long term, I'd strongly suggest you consider it. But get your numbers worked out first before you make your decision. Just My opinion.
$1500 off $4500 for warranty + Premium care. The warranty was a 6 year with $100 deductibles! needless to say I canceled it right away
so I still paid 3k... Well they did give me $200 off for bieng both AAA and costco membership lol.

I will not be going back to this dealer ever. I'll probably average around 1k miles a month.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirhawkeye View Post

The warranty that I got for my 2012 Focus only covers the powertrain (engine and trans, and everything enclosed within them). For me, that was the biggest concern. Window motors are cheap. RAdios can be replaced with aftermarket units for $200, etc, so to me, the warranty on the accessories and stuff outside the engine wasn't a big deal to me. And since they don't warrant brakes, tires or batteries. Over the past 10 years, the auto industry has improved most components in cars (it used to be that window motors would only last about 7-10 years, now most people don't need to replace them until 10+ years, unless they abuse them--like trying to roll down a frozen window in winter time).

If you're concerned about your investment, get the warranty. On a car especially, there are a lot of precision-tuned parts that can go wrong. If the car were brand new without any noticable issues, I would say you could probably pass because the mfr warranty should cover anything that comes up early on in the car's life (which from my experience has been the case--any major failures I've had--knock on wood--have happend within the first year or two of owning the car, all while under the factory warranty). But a used car, a warranty may be a good thing, espeically if you don't know anything about the previous owner. The problem that I see with most cars is that for example, you don't know if they raced the thing from day 1, or if they drove it like a racecar from day one (possibly thus causing components to incorrectly seat/break-in), or if they ran it low on oil, or used cheap conventional oil, etc. There are so many variables that you can't confirm with most used cars, so I would probably get the warranty in this case, if you can afford it, in this case. And if it is truely only $1500 for the warranty, it may be worth it, especially as the car begins to accumulate miles (although aside from the trans issues people complain about--and the MFT issues--I'd say that the Ford Focus has been getting better over the years, both in customer ratings, and reliability).
Luckily the car had only 2k miles on it, so unless they intentionally drained out the oil it could well be on it's first factory fill still.
Old 10-01-2012, 07:03 AM   #248
Tiger-Heli
Focus Addict

Fan#: 12379
What I Drive: 2002 French Blue SE Sedan

FF Reputation: 4 Tiger-Heli Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
A couple of things:

Ford Premium Care DOES NOT cover oil changes or maintenance - there is a maintenance warranty for that if anyone wants one. Ford Premium Care covers the items that fail in addition to the engine and transmission.

According to Anderson-Koch, the warranty is only going up $20 (or actually the discount for not getting first day rental coverage is going down $20), so it's $20 more without First Day rental and the same price with - after today.

(The above is for the 7yr/75K zero-deductible and other plans may have different price adjustments).
Old 10-01-2012, 06:38 PM   #249
TiPilot
Focus Addict

Fan#: 93667
What I Drive: 2012 Ingot Silver Ti Hatch

FF Reputation: 1 TiPilot Good Standing Member
Update...

I ended up buying my ESP through Troy Dietrich of FD Warranty (http://fd-warranty.com) this evening. His was the best price out of the 7 online dealers (Zeigler, Anderson & Koch, Troy, Flood, Warrick, and Hunt were the others) I contacted.

PremiumCARE, 7Y/100K, No First-Day Rental
- $869 for a $100 deductible
- $994 for a $50 deductible

I opted for the latter; if the car's in more than twice in the next 6.25 years (post-3Y/36K) I'll be saving money. Odds are it will - plus I'll probably be much more inclined to take it in when it's only $50 out-of-pocket.

Build Date: 12/2/2011 | New APIM: 4/4/2012
MFT: Factory v2.11, 3/14/12 Web -> v3.0.2, 9/24/12 Web -> v3.2.2, 1/24/13 Web -> v3.5.1, 8/13/13 Web -> v3.6
Old 10-11-2012, 11:36 PM   #250
Woggy64
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 104328
What I Drive: '12 Ti 5dr with sport pkg & sunroof

FF Reputation: 2 Woggy64 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottjl View Post
by the way.. did you know the warranty for the focus begins on the day it is put in service? not necessarily the day you take ownership. if you buy one off the lot you are getting 3 years from the day the dealership first took it as a test drive. ford focus warranty page 2.
That would not be legal in California - the warranty will start on the day the car is first sold. The miles would be a push though....whether it had 3 miles or 300, the clock starts on day sold to customer and ends on 11:59 PM on that day three years later, or at 36,000 miles.

Bookmarks & Social Networks
-->