Did You Buy An EXTENDED WARRANTY For Your New Focus? - Page 22 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 Focus

MK3 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the third generation 2012-Current Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

View Poll Results: did you buy an extended warranty?
Nope. Included warranty only. 73 47.10%
Yes. PowertrainCARE (29 key components covered). 1 0.65%
Yes. BaseCARE (84 key components covered). 1 0.65%
Yes. ExtraCARE (113 key components covered). 5 3.23%
Yes. PremiumCARE (500+ key components covered). 75 48.39%
Voters: 155. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-12-2012, 01:33 PM   #211
paul21
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 87707
What I Drive: 2012 SEL Hatchback

FF Reputation: 0 paul21 Newbie
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
I got the 7/100k PremiumCare ($100 ded, extra rental) for $1105. It's worth it to me and my particular focus for three reasons.

1) Having rental coverage will save me the massive phone tag headache I've experienced with my local dealer. Trying to arrange to pickup a vehicle when "it might be ready today" and it isn't is very frustrating and wastes my time. Since I have outstanding issues still, I feel like another 4 service visits in the 36k isn't out of the question. Because I'm a risk to society at age 23, an on the spot rental can cost me $50/day easily. If my car is in the shop for 10 more days, as it already has been, I'll get up to $750 in rental benefits alone.

2) I've already had $2700 worth of warranty work done on my car, within the first 10k miles. First year model, and early in the production run (May 11 build), so the probability of future problems seems high to me. I've already had the sync APIM replaced once, the headliner is sagging, the speakers rattle, and the transmission is jerky even after an update and miles. If the trans lasts me to 100k, as rough as it is on the clutch sometimes, I'll be really surprised.

3) I'm apartment bound for a while, so there's no garage for DIY repairs down the road. I ran a 99 explorer from 60k to 140k miles without any major issues, but I also had space to do my own repairs for cheap.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-12-2012, 01:47 PM   #212
Needlesschatter
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 95082
What I Drive: 2012 Sonic Blue Ford Focus S

FF Reputation: 1 Needlesschatter Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueFocusSE5 View Post
Spend $2,800 on a 1 in 1,000 chance of getting back more than $2,800? Those are very, very poor odds. So we spend $2,800 to save $2,500. We're still out $300. It would have been wiser to save that $2,800, pay for the $2,500 repair in cash and be $300 ahead of the game. Again, extended warranties are usually not a financially wise idea.

Any automotive technician/neighborhood mechanic isn't going to repair a vehicle to the absolute cut to the bone cost, as this greatly increases the likelihood of the vehicle coming back for corrective/warranty repairs. In the automotive maintenance and repair industry, these are referred to as comebacks and are an absolute nightmare.

So now we spend $2,800 in the 1 in 10,000 chance that we'll get more than $2,800 back? That's even worse.

Do you feel that way abour purchasing GAP coverage on a car loan too?

One issue about the standard FoMoCo warranty - a rental car is not covered and my time is way too valuable to be without a car.
Old 04-12-2012, 03:03 PM   #213
EliSandler
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 94873
What I Drive: Black 2012 Focus Titanium

FF Reputation: 1 EliSandler Good Standing Member
Outside dealers extended warranty, what other ford warranty service provider would you rec? I checked out fordwarrantys.com and Zierglerfordesp.com, are these legit? And would the dealers service center you bought the car from accept it?
Old 04-12-2012, 03:33 PM   #214
kam327
-----<M>-----

Fan#: 94700
What I Drive: '14 Ruby Ti w/ Handling Pkg

FF Reputation: 11 kam327 Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by EliSandler View Post
Outside dealers extended warranty, what other ford warranty service provider would you rec? I checked out fordwarrantys.com and Zierglerfordesp.com, are these legit? And would the dealers service center you bought the car from accept it?
The Ford dealer near my house, and I didn't buy the car from them, had no problem working with my GM extended warranty for a head gasket replacement. As long as they get paid a fair rate, they probably won't care. Might depend on the size of the dealer though.
Old 04-12-2012, 10:37 PM   #215
Chaddz3
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 96992
What I Drive: 2012 Ford Focus S Ingot Silver

FF Reputation: 17 Chaddz3 Great Standing Member
Quote:
Oh, and one more thing. There are dozens of folks on here saying they're going to trade their Focus in after a year or less and take a several thousand dollar hit on it. Where are you in responding to those posts? That's a far dumber idea than spending a couple grand on what is essentially insurance. I would think your channeling of Dave Ramsey would kick in to overdrive denouncing those stupid financial moves, but I don't remember seeing anything from you.....

Some sort of weird fetish with extended warranties going on here.....

I was one of the ones that took advantage of someone trading off their Focus after about 4 months...

I bought mine used with 5200 miles on it.. just over 12,200 outta pocket... based on kbb website (which is taken with a grain of salt).. I should get about a 1700.00 profit if i were to trade it now.. (not that I plan to...) this one has to last me at least 7 to 10 years for it to be getting my money's worth.. My dad told me I for all intents and purposes, Stole the thing.
Old 08-29-2012, 12:23 PM   #216
Tiger-Heli
Focus Addict

Fan#: 12379
What I Drive: 2002 French Blue SE Sedan

FF Reputation: 4 Tiger-Heli Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Okay, this thread has some age on it, and I didn't read through all 18 pages, but from my experience:
  • Obviously the extended warranty only makes sense if you are planning to keep the car. The factory warranty covers everything for the first 3 years, so you are paying $1,000-1500 to cover years 4-7. If you won't keep the car 7 years, you threw away some money.
  • Generally, I've come out ahead buying the warranty over not having it - but you have to take some of that with a grain of salt. For example, on my current car, the hood release broke just before the warranty ended, but it still was useable. The cost to replace it at the dealer was around $350 for the cable and the labor - so I almost made up the cost there, but if I didn't have the warranty, I would have either just lived with it, or spent $50 and replaced the cable myself. The car has been virtually flawless from 75,000 to 124,000 miles, but YMMV.
  • The big advantage with modern complex cars is you don't have to do any "guesswork" - i.e. typically you have an intermittent problem and without a warranty you "throw parts" at it - "I replaced the relay and that didn't work, so maybe it's the motor, but that didn't work, so maybe it's the sensor", with the extended warranty, you take it to the dealer and say "The car is acting up - put me in a loaner and call me when it's fixed."
  • Similarly - I recommend the $0 deductible warranty even thought it's $200 or so more. I had the $50 deductible plan once. The thing is you pay that deductible anytime the car goes in the shop. So if something minor fails, you have a tendency to "save up" issues - so when something major fails, you can take it in for that and say "Also - this isn't working right either". With $0 deductible, you just take it to the dealer and get it fixed, and if something else breaks a week later, you take it back then.
Old 08-29-2012, 07:12 PM   #217
Mazingo
Banned

Fan#: 103085
What I Drive: 2010 black Ranger

FF Reputation: -2 Mazingo Poor Behavior Needs Improvement
Got a funny story about that subject.I owned a 2012 Focus for 5 months.Like "a few" unlucky members of this message board,my car had many issues:Electrical,bearings,transmission(DCT).The car spent weeks in the shop and the time it was not ,it was barely usable.I obviously asked for compensation and was recommended to contact Ford's CRC(Customer Relationship Centre).After 2 months of ownership and problems,they told me I would get an extended warranty.Not knowing how long it would take to get the car fixed for good,I said I would wait before accepting anything.Near the 5th month,I contacted the CRC again to see what else could be put on the table for compensation.I was asked what I wanted and told them that considering that the car was barely usable since I owned it ,that I be refunded the value of the depreciation between the moment I purchased the car and the moment it would be a 100% fixed.After almost 2 weeks they finally called back to say that not only the partial refund was out of the question ,but the extended warranty offer had been pulled off for the reason that I was "not driving the car enough".I tried to explain in polity terms that the car could not be used for long distance driving in it's current condition,and she simply replied that it was my fault for not going to the dealership to get the car fixed.Needless to say that this conversation didn't end well.

Two weeks later the car was fixed and traded it before something else went wrong.Two months ago I received a letter from the dealership congratulating me for one year of ownership(even if I told them via email and survey that I didn't owned the car anymore).And they also used the occasion to tell me it was not too late if I wanted to buy an extended warranty.I did take a few minutes to reply them and give them the name of the CRC employee who already told me that Extended warranties were not made for me.

So,to sum up and answer the question of this thread:

No.
Old 08-29-2012, 07:59 PM   #218
VOLDAR
Focus Addict

Fan#: 90444
What I Drive: Volt 2014, White Diamond

FF Reputation: 3 VOLDAR Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazingo View Post
Got a funny story about that subject.I owned a 2012 Focus for 5 months.Like "a few" unlucky members of this message board,my car had many issues:Electrical,bearings,transmission(DCT).The car spent weeks in the shop and the time it was not ,it was barely usable.I obviously asked for compensation and was recommended to contact Ford's CRC(Customer Relationship Centre).After 2 months of ownership and problems,they told me I would get an extended warranty.Not knowing how long it would take to get the car fixed for good,I said I would wait before accepting anything.Near the 5th month,I contacted the CRC again to see what else could be put on the table for compensation.I was asked what I wanted and told them that considering that the car was barely usable since I owned it ,that I be refunded the value of the depreciation between the moment I purchased the car and the moment it would be a 100% fixed.After almost 2 weeks they finally called back to say that not only the partial refund was out of the question ,but the extended warranty offer had been pulled off for the reason that I was "not driving the car enough".I tried to explain in polity terms that the car could not be used for long distance driving in it's current condition,and she simply replied that it was my fault for not going to the dealership to get the car fixed.Needless to say that this conversation didn't end well.

Two weeks later the car was fixed and traded it before something else went wrong.Two months ago I received a letter from the dealership congratulating me for one year of ownership(even if I told them via email and survey that I didn't owned the car anymore).And they also used the occasion to tell me it was not too late if I wanted to buy an extended warranty.I did take a few minutes to reply them and give them the name of the CRC employee who already told me that Extended warranties were not made for me.

So,to sum up and answer the question of this thread:

No.
Too much words for a simple answer. You sure are not politician ?
---replaced by---
Chevy Volt 2014, White Diamond, Luxury Package, S1, Navigation.
Old 08-30-2012, 05:49 AM   #219
pozi240
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 94835
What I Drive: 2012 Focus 5 door SEL Kona Blue

FF Reputation: 4 pozi240 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by VOLDAR View Post
Too much words for a simple answer. You sure are not politician ?
Well, he does live in Ottawa.......
2008 Kawasaki Concours 14 (street)
2008 Kawasaki ZX10R (track only)
Old 08-30-2012, 07:27 AM   #220
Tiger-Heli
Focus Addict

Fan#: 12379
What I Drive: 2002 French Blue SE Sedan

FF Reputation: 4 Tiger-Heli Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazingo View Post
she simply replied that it was my fault for not going to the dealership to get the car fixed.
Not knowing the total history - manufacturers are in a bit of a sticky spot if they issue a recall or TSB, and you don't bring the car in, but then it causes additional damage which is then covered under the warranty.

Quote:
And they also used the occasion to tell me it was not too late if I wanted to buy an extended warranty.
They wanted to SELL you an extended warranty - they refused to GIVE you one. (Also note that the cost of the extended warranty goes up a LOT after 1 year of the vehicle being in service (which is why the letter comes out then rather then at 10 months of ownership (okay, my cynical side is showing)).

Quote:
No.
Only b/c you were NOT keeping the car.

Bookmarks & Social Networks